Windows 10: Issues Moving Files From/To Folders

Discus and support Issues Moving Files From/To Folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The issue is when trying to move a file or group of files from one folder to another, like dragging and dropping files, one of the files will open in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Gotime88, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Gotime88 Win User

Issues Moving Files From/To Folders

The issue is when trying to move a file or group of files from one folder to another, like dragging and dropping files, one of the files will open in its respective application, leading to failure of moving files. At first I suspected the files were set to open with one click, but that's not the case. I've tried going slow, but it seems like when a file's icon is highlighted, even after a long pause, the file will open when clicking on it once more. Some examples would be when organizing photos or documents and moving files into different folders, groups of photos or documents are selected to move and when attempting to drag and drop the files to another location, one of the files will open in photo viewer, or Word or Acrobat. It's very frustrating and I don't recall moving files with previous versions of Windows to be this frustrating. Thank you.

:)

Gotime88, Dec 13, 2016
  2. Binsk Win User

Moving folders from OneDrive to C: drive

I'm having this issue [my Pictures folder was changed to point to OneDrive's Pictures, and I'm unable to switch it back to \Users\Blah\Pictures in the Location tab] after I applied the November update to Windows 10.

I have tried deleting the C:\Users\<user>\Pictures folder prior to saying yes to the Move Files prompt > Access Denied. I have tried saying No to the dialog, same result [Access Denied]. Is there a different way to retarget the folder without needing to
    go through the UI (regedit, PowerShell, etc.)?

Binsk, Dec 13, 2016
  3. Moving folders from OneDrive to C: drive

I am revising my original response as I don't think i fully gripped your actual problem.

When you say you are getting access denied what step are you performing when that happens?

Have you tried this procedure from the link you posted?

To restore a folder to its original location

• Click the Start button
      Issues Moving Files From/To Folders [​IMG]
      , and then click your user name.

• Right-click the folder that you previously redirected and want to restore to its original location, and then click Properties.

• Click the Location tab, click Restore Default, and then click OK.

• Click Yes to recreate the original folder, and then click Yes again to move all the files back to the original folder.

If so and you got a permissions what is the path it is trying to access?

The Default path for pictures should be,

C:\Users\PROFILENAME\Pictures

When restoring the location it normally asks to create a folder. If you are getting any errors or problems when trying these steps please grab and screenshots and provide detail on what was done.

Marcantony_MSFT, Dec 13, 2016
  4. RolandJS Win User

Does this problem also happen when you do the copy and paste operation?

RolandJS, Dec 13, 2016
  5. Gotime88 Win User
    No, copy and pasting are fine.

Gotime88, Dec 14, 2016
  6. N9NU Win User
    Um..this may sound goofy, however, the exact same thing happened to me and it was pissing me off until I realized that (believe it or not) my left mouse button was messed up....(switch wise). I just replaced the mouse and all was well.

Probably not your issue, however, just FYI

Tim

Also...I noticed that when dragging and dropping, they would get hung up going from one folder in explorer to another and some would open up. I noticed that I had my left hand column within explorer expanded to show my network shares and when those other PC's were off, I always seemed to drag the folder/files directly over one of those network shares and it would hang until it timed out and I would have to start over.

7. Gotime88 Win User
    I will try with new mouse and report back. Thank you.

Gotime88, Dec 16, 2016
  8. Gotime88 Win User

New mouse seems to have done the trick. Thank you for helping me out.

Gotime88, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Issues Moving Files From/To Folders - Similar Threads - Issues Moving Files

2. No longer copy/move files from folder to folder [long]

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No longer copy/move files from folder to folder [long]: Hi everyone,The o/s is W10 Pro with two account, the "main" one has always been admin standard and has never caused problems.The "secondary" is "user" and the one causing problems: I can no longer copy/move files in folder or from folder to folder. The desktop screen flashes...
  3. How to move a file from a folder to it's parent folder in cmd?

How to move a file from a folder to it's parent folder in cmd?: I make a file test.exe in the test2 folder. This is my location in cmd: "C:\Users\Mark\Desktop\test3\test2>" And I tried using the following command: "move test.exe C:\Users\Mark\Desktop\test3" but it's not working....
  4. How to move a file from a folder to it's parent folder in cmd?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to move a file from a folder to it's parent folder in cmd?: I make a file test.exe in the test2 folder. This is my location in cmd: "C:\Users\Mark\Desktop\test3\test2>" And I tried using the following command: "move test.exe C:\Users\Mark\Desktop\test3" but it's not working....
  5. How to move a file from a folder to it's parent folder in cmd?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Moving files/folders

Moving files/folders: Hello.I have been trying to move folders from C drive to my extended storage device D. i have followed the instructions given on a different forum, i right clicked on the folder, went to properties and then i wanted to search for location tab but i couldn't find it. only tabs...
  7. Moving files/folders to different drive issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving files/folders to different drive issue: I regulary have reason to copy files and folders from one HDD to another, and have a strong preference for them being moved, not copied. Since reinstalling Windows a few weeks ago, however, I am unable to do so. I am presently running 10 Home 10.0.18363. I have attempted to...
  8. moving files in a folder

moving files in a folder: I'm trying to move files pictures around in a folder. In windows 7 I could just move them via the mouse. I've tried cutting & pasting but nothing happens. Any ideas?...
  9. Moving file/folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving file/folders: I have a Predator gaming laptop I added a 4tb external drive because I was running out of internal drive space, I have it set so that everything possible will go to that drive. Problem is that while some things load to that drive, addon or mods download to a different folder...
  10. How to move files from one folder to another folder

in Windows 10 Support
    How to move files from one folder to another folder: Everytime I get a download I unzip the folder and would like to move it to the desktop, but I always get the message cant move file cause its being used by another program, I don't have any other programs open, plus the drop and drag feature does not always work either. Some...