Windows 10: Issues with 64bit software

Discus and support Issues with 64bit software in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Ever since i've upgraded to windows 10 (fresh install), I've had issues with running 64 bit versions of software. I'm not sure i can describe the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Datgoat, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Datgoat Win User

Issues with 64bit software

Ever since i've upgraded to windows 10 (fresh install), I've had issues with running 64 bit versions of software. I'm not sure i can describe the problem accurately, but it's internet/network related. When using git, it will not relsolve hostnames or ip addresses (and i'm pretty sure you don't relsolve ip addresses, but that's the error it gives). Can use the ping command from git fine, just can't clone, push or pull. When using VLC, i can't stream videos from youtube, it comes up with an error saying the input cannot be opened. When running java applications if i use the 64 bit environment, i can't connect to anything that requires authentication (such as online minecraft servers, can connect to servers running in offline mode just fine though). I only run into these problems when using the 64bit versions of the applications, the 32bit versions work just fine. Has anyone encountered something like this before, and can point me in the right direction?

Just to add a little more info, the 64 bit versions worked just fine on windows 7 and 8.1. - which is what peeves me off the most.

EDIT: The only things i can think of, is that it there is a problem with using MinGW-w64 to compile binaries to be used on windows 10, or it's a problem with windows 10

:)

Datgoat, Apr 2, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

What is the difference between the two program folders on my C drive: C:/Programs and C:/Programs(86)?

Hi Lewis,

If you are seeing both these folders, you are running the 64bit version of Windows

Windows 64bit can run both 64bit and 32bit software.

64bit software is installed into C:\Program Files

32bit software is installed into C:\Program Files (x86)

The installer for your software will automatically decide which folder it will install into, you do not and should not change the default installation folder manually . . .

DaveM121, Apr 2, 2016
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    32bit or 64bit

Windows 10 64bit you can load 32bit and 64bit applications

Windows 10 32bit cannot run 64bit software, therefore you cannot run apps like QuarkXpress that only come in 64bit versions

64bit Windows can address in theory 16.8 million terabytes

32bit Windows can only address 4GB of which 3.12GB may only be usable depending on the version of Windows you are running

In theory 64bit is much faster than 32bit as a 64bit data word (64 1's and 0's) is processed at each cycle of your processor instead of a 32bit data word. I say in theory as there is

A lot of modern software is now optimised to run on a 64bit processor, therefore will run faster, it took a long time for software manufacturers to re-configure their software to take advantage of 64bit

Basically, if you have the option of running either 63bit or 32bit, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by choosing the 64bit version . . .

DaveM121, Apr 2, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Well, I'd never tried streaming media from a URL through a player like that.. but I agree, none of vlc player, winamp or zoom player succeeds in playing from youtube. And I'm using the 32 bit version of vlc player v2.2.1 on Win 10 Pro x64.

dalchina, Apr 2, 2016
  5. topgundcp Win User
    I think your problem is with the network/firewall settings. I use VLC 2.22 X64 and can stream from youtube: TAYLOR vs. TREADMILL - YouTube
    You can try to download the new 64 bit version 2.2.2: VideoLAN - Downloads
    It's an installer but actually you can just unzip it with 7-zip to your desktop and run from there

Issues with 64bit software [​IMG]

topgundcp, Apr 2, 2016
  6. Datgoat Win User
    If only the issue was that simple. Just tried using VLC 2.2.2 X64, but i still have the same issues.

I'm pretty sure it's not a firewall issue.
    I've turned off windows firewalls temporarily in the past to test this.

Datgoat, Apr 2, 2016
  7. topgundcp Win User
    Open admin command. Copy and paste the line below, run to make sure no corrupted Windows files. (Will take a while to run):
    Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup&dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth&sfc /scannow&pause

topgundcp, Apr 2, 2016
  8. Datgoat Win User

Datgoat, Apr 2, 2016
  9. Datgoat Win User
    For those who come here looking for a solution, I never found a reasonable one. A more detailed diagnostic of the problem was that the 64 bit software i was trying to use could not see outside my local network ( this included VLC, Java (JRE and JDK), Git, and WaterFox). The most likely cause of the problem is an error in registry i would think. I ended up re-installing my OS (with a more recent image), and magically my problems were gone.

Datgoat, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Issues with 64bit software - Similar Threads - Issues 64bit software

2. Software issues .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Software issues .: Hey, I have a emachine desktop that's running windows 7 and I want to currently upgrade to windows 10. The problem is that I encounter issues like when I try to update it through the media tool, it'll process and grab all necessary0 files for that download then it'll take me...
  3. Software issues .

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Software issues .: Hey, I have a emachine desktop that's running windows 7 and I want to currently upgrade to windows 10. The problem is that I encounter issues like when I try to update it through the media tool, it'll process and grab all necessary0 files for that download then it'll take me...
  4. software issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    software issue: so, a while back I took some steps to speed up my computer, minor things that didn't really matter, of these things were smooth scrolling, gif autoplay, and higher quality text was turned off all at once and I to this day have found no way to reverse it, all of the things I...
  5. 32 bit software/64bit windows10 can't install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    32 bit software/64bit windows10 can't install: download software for Logitech LX3 mouse from Logitech site . click to install and get message: using 32 bit installer on 64 bit OS ,use correct installer. my pc already has 32 bit enabled- value changed to true . so, what now ?...
  6. REJECTION OF SOFTWARE TO WINDOWS 10 Enterprises 64bit

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    REJECTION OF SOFTWARE TO WINDOWS 10 Enterprises 64bit: Iam trying to install software like Adobe photoshop cc 2018 to windows 10 Enterprises 64 bit but not installed,it shows like the software has completed to install but when you find it to app not seen/installed.Please help me to solve this problem...
  7. software issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    software issue: after new 1903 software updating iam facing a problem, night light is not working plsssss help me anyone https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/software-issue/8379d5be-f245-461f-9874-2f0973e411e2
  8. 1809 issue or software issue?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    1809 issue or software issue?: The Microsoft Refreshing Tool doesn't work on Windows 10 - 1809 this is what I'm getting when I run the tool to refresh my windows 10 [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/1809-issue-or-software-issue/cd82a06d-2665-4d44-b500-25bb3791443b
  9. Software issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Software issues: I recently tried to download and install some software from this site Worldwide Military Personnel and Unit Database Secure Software Installation Instructions 98 Million listings added since 04 July 1988. Active Military, Former Service, Military Family Members. I...
  10. Typing Issues with Win 10 64bit

in Windows 10 Support
    Typing Issues with Win 10 64bit: Apologies if this has already been asked/answered, couldn't find it after a quick search. When I type in Windows 10 on pretty much anything - chrome, open office, celtx (writing software) - the cursor will frequently jump to a random point, could be the middle of a word or...