Windows 10: Issues with dual boot gone awry

Discus and support Issues with dual boot gone awry in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Howdy I had a dual-boot situation where I had windows 10 on one hard drive and ubuntu linux on another. I think the grub resided on the windows HD.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mazate, Oct 11, 2017.

1. mazate Win User

Issues with dual boot gone awry

Howdy

I had a dual-boot situation where I had windows 10 on one hard drive and ubuntu linux on another. I think the grub resided on the windows HD. The windows HD was the master and would boot first. I would then choose which OS I wanted to load. I believe the grub was placed there by ubuntu when I installed it on the 2nd hard drive.

Fast forward to today. I went to install a different version of linux on my hard drive. When I did so, the grub on the windows HD failed to load correctly. Now when I try to load the windows HD all I get is:

That's all I get and I have no idea how to get past this screen or the grub rescue prompt so that windows will load. Unfortunately I don't have any sort of windows cd or other recovery tool. Any help is appreciated.

:)

mazate, Oct 11, 2017

2. Encryption gone awry

Found the old encryption cert and did an import. I was able to then see the older files that were encrypted by the older machine. Thank you for your response.

WillAndersonJR, Oct 11, 2017
  3. Paola Gar Win User
    Encryption gone awry

Hi Will,

To better assist you with your concern, we'd like to know the application you used to encrypt your files.

Looking forward to your response.

Paola Gar, Oct 11, 2017
  4. Issues with dual boot gone awry

If you have working Windows OS computer use Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to create a bootable Windows 10 media.
    You can boot your computer into Windows 10.

Please boot your computer with Windows Setup Media and from Windows Recovery Environment start the Command Prompt.

Please type below commands into Command Prompt and press Enter key.

Following commands will repair Master Boot Record (MBR), Boot Sector and BCD Store.

Code: Bootrec /FixMbr Bootrec /FixBoot Bootrec /RebuildBcd[/quote]

FreeBooter, Oct 11, 2017
  5. Once you get it working, virtualize Ubuntu. Much easier and won't affect your main OS.

DeaconFrost, Oct 11, 2017
  6. mazate Win User
    I've always had trouble with virtualizing because I can never figure out how to install an OS with a usb drive instead of a cd/dvd.

mazate, Oct 13, 2017
  7. Samuria Win User
    Within Virtual box you can boot from a file iso or usb/dvd setting for the o/s your installing

Samuria, Oct 13, 2017
  8. Issues with dual boot gone awry

You install using the .iso file. It's quicker and in some ways, easier than installing on a physical system.

DeaconFrost, Oct 15, 2017
  9. ThrashZone, Oct 15, 2017
  10. mazate Win User
    FreeBooter, THANK YOU!! Those steps worked like a charm.

mazate, Oct 18, 2017
  11. I have one just like that..

Josey Wales, Oct 18, 2017
  12. You are very welcome!

FreeBooter, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Issues with dual boot gone awry

1. Issues with dual boot gone awry - Similar Threads - Issues dual boot

2. Old dual boot issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Old dual boot issue: So I was dual booting Windows 7 and Windows 10 for a while until I upgraded my PC components and could no longer get a mouse and keyboard to work on Windows 7. Eventually I deleted the Windows 7 install and formatted the drive, but I still have to choose an operating system...
  3. Dual boot with Ubuntu gone

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual boot with Ubuntu gone: Suddenly my grub is gone and when I boot my device goes directly to the Windows 10. Can I remove Ubuntu through Windows without concerns or should I need to be careful because grub is still around and probably will brick my PC? Thanks! submitted by /u/Johan144 [link]...
  4. Default mail gone awry

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default mail gone awry: Good day all... I'm having some trouble getting the correct mail program to handle things I wish to send. We used to run with Lotus/IBM Notes, but have switched to Outlook. Our workstations are Windows 10. The default mail program selected is, of course, Outlook. We cannot...
  5. Dual Boot Issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Boot Issue: Hello there, I am having a issue with dual boot in my laptop.I have Ubuntu 18.04 and Windows 10 installed in my system.However,as the laptop starts system boots directly to Windows 10 without showing Grub Menu.Hence I cannot boot to Ubuntu anymore.I tried...
  6. Dual booting issue

Dual booting issue: I installed two OS on my PC: Ubuntu 16.04 and Windows 10. Ubuntu runs as a default and Windows 10 as a second OS. I prefer Ubuntu and always use it but occasionally I need some apps that work on Windows 10. I used to select the OS during the boot up process. But I had some...
  7. Settings gone awry Please help diagnose

in Windows 10 Customization
    Settings gone awry Please help diagnose: Greetings, This is my first post. Thanks in advance! Issue: 1 user owned Laptop with WIndows 10 home edition settings unstable and facotry reset has not fixed the problem. Goal (immediate): Display consistent admin settings and if necessary disable/lower threat...
  8. dual boot issue

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    dual boot issue: I have a dual boot with two SSD. On both are W10 systems, let's say W10 and W10 test. Till yesterday it worked as follows: booting up bios; Bios (or DOS?) screen in which to select which OS. After selection immediately the selected OS system started. Today I updated W10 test...
  9. Windows Dual boot issue.

Windows Dual boot issue.: My windows 7 is partitioned as F:\ ( out side windows ) when it should be C:\. This stops me from booting into it. My windows 10 WAS on F:\(outside windows) and it switches to C:\ when you boot it up but now it is on C:\ (outside windows). Is there a way to fix it?...
  10. Dual Boot Issues

Dual Boot Issues: I'm in a Networking Class and my Teacher had the wonderful idea of dual booting Ubuntu and Windows 10 Pro. Things were okay until last night when I booted my machine I'm stuck in the grub rescue. Now at some point I didn't actually uninstall Linux but deleted the partition. I...