Windows 10: Issues with ejecting USB

Discus and support Issues with ejecting USB in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Is it just me or is there a known bug involving ejecting USB drives? Typically in 7 or 8 if I plug in my USB then transfer a file and close the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gator, Jul 1, 2015.

1. gator Win User

Issues with ejecting USB

Is it just me or is there a known bug involving ejecting USB drives?

Typically in 7 or 8 if I plug in my USB then transfer a file and close the window, I can easily eject it with no problems. With Windows 10 it seems like it holds the USB hostage for 5 to 10 minutes. Thoughts?

:)

gator, Jul 1, 2015

2. problem ejecting hard drive connected by usb hub

I've had this issue ever since I've upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 Pro. I've tried with various USB drives and they are all the same. I couldn't eject. However, when I plug them directly into the USB port on the PC, I am able to eject. When
    they are on the Sabrent 4 port USB 3.0 hub, I can't without ejecting the whole hub.

morissen3k8conan, Jul 1, 2015
  3. Eject options inconsistent between USB stick and USB external drive - Windows 10

When I want to eject a USB stick I can do it 2 different ways (a) by clicking on the 'Safely remove hardware and eject media' icon in the notification area of the taskbar and selecting the device (b) in File Explorer by right mouse button on the drive letter
    for the USB stick and clicking the Eject option

When I want to eject a USB external drive I only have one option, by clicking on the 'Safely remove hardware and eject media' icon in the notification area of the taskbar and selecting the device. In File Explorer if I right mouse button on the drive letter
    for the USB external drive, there is no Eject option in the list of options.

Since I am usually in File Explorer when I have either a USB stick or a USB external drive plugged in, it is most natural to me to want to eject from within File Explorer after I have finished with the USB device.

Is there any way to 'switch on' an 'Eject' option within File Explorer for a USB external drive ?

Ron

PS this is true for both Windows 10 Home 32 bit and Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Ron Hewett, Jul 1, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

Issues with ejecting USB

Which build are you using? Some have reported this problem in earlier builds, but the latest they have said it is fixed.. 10159.

Mystere, Jul 1, 2015
  5. gator Win User
    10130, I may have taken myself off the fast ring, Im not sure. Was this reported in 10130?

gator, Jul 1, 2015
  6. Edwin New Member
    Try adding an exclusion for it in Settings►Update & security►Windows Defender►Exclusions►Add an exclusion►Exclude a folder

Edwin, Jul 1, 2015
  7. Have you tried restarting explorer.exe?

Every earlier version of Windows I've used has had issues with USB HDDs.

When I first installed W7 there were no problems.
    Around the time of SP1, I started to get the occasional useless "can't eject USB" message.
    Nowadays it happens around 50% of the time I use a USB HDD.

I've never had any problems with Flash sticks though.

I expect W10 to follow the same pattern.
    Currently I've had no problems in W10, but I expect they will start happening after a few hundred MB of updates have been installed.

The Linux distros I've used have never displayed this behaviour (CentOS, Fedora, Linux Mint, OpenSUSE & Ubuntu).

lehnerus2000, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Issues with ejecting USB

1. Issues with ejecting USB - Similar Threads - Issues ejecting USB

2. Issues to eject USB drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Issues to eject USB drive: I plugged in a USB drive to my computer Windows 10, supplied the BitLocker password. I then opened the drive in the File Explorer. I opened 3 Word documents and 2 JPG files. I didn't make any changes. I then went to "Show Hidden Icons" on the task bar. I had no applications...
  3. USB stick not ejecting

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB stick not ejecting: Hi I am running Windows 10 64bit 20H2 but this problem has been happening for the past few iterations of W10. Whenever I plug in a USB stick to delete some files and then try to safely eject the stick, I get the pop up message about "the device is currently in use". The...
  4. Ejecting usb drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Ejecting usb drive: After updating to Windows 10 version 2004, when trying to eject an external usb drive, I continuously receive the error message that the drive is in use and to wait and try again later. No matter how long I wait, this message recurs when nothing I can see is using the drive....
  5. Issue with hardisk eject

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Issue with hardisk eject: Dear Sir, I have tried a lot of actions watching on youtube but still coudnt do so. I have an hardisk of transcend and sandisk. in both I face an issue. while ejecting from the system tray in the right hand side lower side where that time is mentioned, so I get an issue...
  6. Unable to eject USB

Unable to eject USB: I can't just eject a USB drive. To safely eject I'm having to shut down. Win 10 Pro x64 156341
  7. Unable to eject USB

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to eject USB: I can't just eject a USB drive. To safely eject I'm having to shut down. Win 10 Pro x64 156341
  8. Eject USB not an option

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Eject USB not an option: [ATTACH] When I try to eject my USB, it isn't an option. There are three dots instead. I've tried plugging in the USB to a different computer and it works there, so I think it is a problem with my device (x1c7). Any help is appreciated!!...
  9. Cannot eject a USB.

Cannot eject a USB.: The "Safely Eject Hardware and Media" will not pop up on my Windows 10 laptop. I tried to open it a different way, but then it said it couldn't eject the USB. The USB has been read by the laptop. Any help on how to fix this?...
  10. USB EJECT

USB EJECT: When I try to eject a sandisk cruiser device I get a message saing that the volume12 sideband is being used..?what is that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-eject/b5b258ae-7e86-4af9-8258-41775b2a4dfa