Windows 10: Issues with Pagefile.sys / Virtual Memory

Discus and support Issues with Pagefile.sys / Virtual Memory in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi there, I have issues with my PC seeming quite sluggish at times, and sometimes freezing altogether for a few seconds. I have had MS look at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by snajix, Feb 13, 2016.

1. snajix Win User

Issues with Pagefile.sys / Virtual Memory

Hi there,

I have issues with my PC seeming quite sluggish at times, and sometimes freezing altogether for a few seconds.

I have had MS look at this, and they cannot seem to find any issues. My main question is about VM/pagefile.sys. Looking at my system Win 10 puts a 28.6Gb pagefile on C drive (SSD) and a further 32Gb pagefile on d drive (HDD).

To me this seems excessive anyway. However, when you add to the mix that I have 32 Gb RAM then I feel that there is no good reason for such large pagefiles. I have recently reverted to Windows Managed swap files as this was recommended by MS support in my last call. However, I do question this.

Obviously RAM is massively more responsive than any disc based cache (even SSD) and so I wonder if this is causing any issues.

My machine is an Alienware Area 51 R2 with a Samsung 256 GB boot SSD (PM851) and a Western Digital 4Tb Data drive. 3 x Nvidia GTX 970 graphics cards, 32 Gb RAM, etc.

OS is Windows 10 Home (64 Bit) clean install. Running latest drivers and BIOS and both Symantec and Microsoft have recently (today) confirmed that the machine is virus free. Far too much software installed to even begin to list *cry

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    *Wink

:)

snajix, Feb 13, 2016
  2. John Ado Win User

Win 10 pagefil.sys Query

Hi,

It looks like that virtual memory was moved to drive E. This explains why you also have pagefile.sys on that drive. You may go ahead and delete the pagefile.sys in drive to free up some space. You can also limit the amount of memory that Virtual memory can
    hold. Click Custom size, put the amount of memory then
    OK
    . Refer to the Recommended size below the dialog box.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

John Ado, Feb 13, 2016
  3. Martmcd Win User
    running windows 10 .. can I delete pagefile.ssys?

the pagefile.sys is the virtual memory (disk space used as if it were ram)

if you delete it windows will put it back (and it may, temporarily, cause you issues)

to get rid of it you will have to disable virtual memory - not recommended.

you can adjust the size or move it to another disk, in control panel but, as Wayne has said, if you are not having a problem leave it alone.

Martmcd, Feb 13, 2016
  4. Issues with Pagefile.sys / Virtual Memory

Can you help me with the following details:

1) Is the PC freezing randomly
    2) Any specific access which triggers the sluggish performance
    3) What all applications you have installed (games / heavy apps)

tanujchadha, Feb 13, 2016
  5. LMiller7 Win User
    With 32 GB RAM and a pagefile on an SSD I would consider the chances of the pagefile causing a problem as very remote, not worth considering. It is almost certainly larger than necessary but that won't cause any issues, except wasting disk space.

LMiller7, Feb 13, 2016
  6. WHS
    whs Win User
    There is no reason you should have any pagefile at all - maybe 1 or 2GB for the odd faults. Set it at 2GB and you will see it works perfectly.

7. snajix Win User
    Hi there Tanujchadha,

Thanks for getting back to me. I did reply, but must have done something wrong as it has not posted. *Rolleyes

From everything I can see, the freezing and crashing is random. Definitely more noticeable in games or when a few apps are open at once. I have noticed it if I am doing something intensive in Adobe applications as well. Or with Visio/Project/Excel/Powerpoint.

There does not seem to be anything in particular that triggers the sluggish performance. More a case of as the machine is put under some load, performance drops off quite surprisingly.

I have over 93 games installed (only a few are processor/graphics intensive). Apps wise, the main applications I have installed are:

MS Office 365 - full install of 2016 apps including OneNote, Sway and Outlook
    Chrome
    MS Project 2016
    MS Visio 2016
    Norton Security with Backup
    Dropbox
    Copernic
    Spotify
    Sonos
    Adobe - full creative suite
    Corel Technical Suite X7
    Corel Painter 2016
    Google Photos
    Alienware standard "bloatware"
    ObjectDock
    Origin
    Steam
    MediaMonkey
    WinAMP
    VLC
    Notepad++
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (only run manually and with full exclusions in place for Norton)
    Evernote
    PerfectDisk 14
    Dell Display Manager
    Picassa 3
    Wunderlist
    Wacom Art pad and drivers
    3D Connexion "mouse"
    System Mechanic Professional
    Dual monitor set up
    Standard Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard

This is far from an exhaustive list, but is a list of the main applications in use on a fairly regular basis. By far the most use for this machine is as a work machine and Office is the most used software. This includes fairly heavy use of MS Project.

Any thoughts you have on this issue are most gratefully received. *Cool

Cheers
    Sanj *Smile

snajix, Feb 16, 2016
  8. snajix Win User

Thanks whs,

I thought with hibernate enabled the machine needs to have a pagefile? I know I was not clear that hibernate is enabled.

Regards
    S

snajix, Feb 16, 2016
  9. $ Set Frustration/Level=High

I have a 50GB partition for nothing other than a 25GB CONTIGUOUS Pagefile and I'll move the swapfile there as well. I've set Virtual Memory as Custom size of 25000MB however, Microsoft with it's infinite wisdom, when applying patches/updates, will reconfigure Virtual Memory to be 3070MB on 5 different volumes/partitions. I'll go back and reset everything (Set No Pagefile on the 5 volumes) and set custom 25000MB on my page partition and sometime down the road MS will set Virtual Memory to 3070MB on 5 different volumes again. It's an infinite loop, I'll set Virtual Memory the way *I* want it and MS will reconfigure it.

MS, Please leave the Virtual Memory settings the hell alone.

$ Set Frustration/Level=Normal

MDSBigPaPa, May 5, 2016
  10. Mystere Win User
    In order for accurate crash dump files to be created, then your page file must be at least as large as your physical memory + 257MB. Otherwise, if you get a bluescreen no crashdump file will be created (some people don't care about this, probably most people.. but when you find you need a crashdump.. such as to send it to MS or get help in the forum, it's too late to enable it.)

You also need at least a minimal page file or some kinds of applications won't work correctly, such as Photoshop.

Mystere, May 5, 2016
  11. I have 16GB of memory and set Virtual Memory to 25GB (25000MB) however, MS changes it to 5 individual files of 3070MB each. Not only does this fragment the pagefile but fragments the contents of each of the files. What a way to restrict performance of the system.

MDSBigPaPa, May 5, 2016
  12. valihrach Win User
    MDSBigPaPa: your issue is probably result of running some 3rd party "optimization" software. Windows never changes virtual memory settings afaik (in contrast to other important settings). Uninstall all bloatware/malware named optimizer, mechanic, speed booster etc etc.

valihrach, May 5, 2016
  13. cereberus Win User

With the new memory compression algorithms and 32GB, you are probably never actually using the pagefiles anyway.

Lmiller7 is correct.

Just let windows manage it and assuming plenty of ssd space, disable it on any other drives (use ssd for best performance).

If space is an issue, just gradually decrease it in size checking things are ok.

To me, freezing is probably more related to other issues, eg graphics drivers, disk related issues etc.

cereberus, May 5, 2016
  14. Mystere Win User
    Whenever a new build is installed, it's like performing an upgrade, and many settings such as this are reset. Just a fact you'll have to live with.

Pagefile fragmentation is an over-hyped condition, because memory pages are accessed randomly and not linearly, so it's unlikely that being contiguous will make much difference. And if those pagefiles are on SSD's it's absolutely no difference. What's more, if the pagefile is on multiple drives, this will actually improve performance since pagefiles can be read simultaneously.

Mystere, May 5, 2016
  15. AH! Good suggestion. I have to rebuild my PC because the latest Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3147458) will not install so I'll leave off installing in the new build. Thanks...

MDSBigPaPa, May 5, 2016
Thema:

1. Issues with Pagefile.sys / Virtual Memory - Similar Threads - Issues Pagefile sys

2. pagefile sys

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    pagefile sys: hi my pagefile sys went up suddenly to 11 gb while was playing game and after like end match in game it went back to normal how it was before it maked first time i think is it normal...
  3. pagefile sys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    pagefile sys: hi my pagefile sys went up suddenly to 11 gb while was playing game and after like end match in game it went back to normal how it was before it maked first time i think is it normal...
  4. pagefile sys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Logical bad sectors in the disk of virtual memory pagefile

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Logical bad sectors in the disk of virtual memory pagefile: Dear community, My laptop is having frequent UNEXPECTED STORE EXCEPTION issue. A previous question related to that:...
  6. C: pagefile .sys Degrag

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C: pagefile .sys Degrag: How do I defrag my C: pagefile .sys my O&O Degrag Prof states that the files is 32G with a 97.71 degree of relative fragmentation? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/c-pagefile-sys-degrag/1435a24e-30c1-43a8-9587-dbbac2c1216e"
  7. Win10 virtual memory issues and BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win10 virtual memory issues and BSOD: I updated to Windows 10 a few weeks back and recently started having some problems. If i leave a browser open I will run out of virtual memory even though i have more than the recommended amount set (8GB). Usually it's when i leave a flash game running although i never had...
  8. Enable or Disable Virtual Memory Pagefile Encryption in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Virtual Memory Pagefile Encryption in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Virtual Memory Pagefile Encryption in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Virtual Memory Pagefile Encryption in Windows 10 Encrypting the pagefile prevents malicious users from reading data that has been paged to disk, but also adds processing...
  9. Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile at Shutdown in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile at Shutdown in Windows 10: How to: Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile at Shutdown in Windows 10 How to Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile at Shutdown in Windows 10 Virtual memory support uses a system pagefile to swap pages of memory to disk when they are not used. On a running system, this pagefile is...
  10. Manage Virtual Memory Pagefile in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Manage Virtual Memory Pagefile in Windows 10: How to: Manage Virtual Memory Pagefile in Windows 10 How to Manage Virtual Memory Pagefile in Windows 10 Paging is a memory management scheme by which a PC stores and retrieves data from secondary storage for use in main memory. In this scheme, the operating system...
Tags: