Windows 10: Issues with right clicking start menu.

Discus and support Issues with right clicking start menu. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Prior to upgrading to build 1511 a few days ago I could right click on the start menu and all the icons works. Could run as an administrator with no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by synergy1, May 5, 2016.

1. synergy1 Win User

Issues with right clicking start menu.

Prior to upgrading to build 1511 a few days ago I could right click on the start menu and all the icons works. Could run as an administrator with no issue. However for the last few days clicking on any icon from the right click start menu does nothing. Level three at Microsoft has not found an answer. I have tried most of the fixes including running powershell and "getting app." to no avail.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Bob

:)

synergy1, May 5, 2016

2. Right click menu in Start.

Hi Kastriot,

We appreciate your time and effort for getting back to us.

If you are not able to repair some files after performing SFC scan, I suggest you to refer to the point 3 “Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log”. Under
    the section Run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to repair the corrupted files after performing SFC scan.

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

If you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, May 5, 2016
  3. Right click menu in Start.

so the menu that oppens when you right click the start button in windows 10 and shows all the adresses that you can go, like e.g Control Panel etc. wont open. As a matter of fact it wont open any of the following adresses like in the screenshot i provided.
    I hope i was clear enough since english is not my native language and im not familiar with the terminology of Windows 10.
    Issues with right clicking start menu. [​IMG]

Kastriot Qerimi, May 5, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hello, could you be a little more precise if possible...
    Prior to upgrading to 1511 (released last November) were you running Win 10? Or did you upgrade from Win 8 to build 1511?
    Just after upgrading to 1511, did rt click on the start menu work, and then stop?
    What is your current build level? (Open a command prompt, type Winver <return>)

Did you install any programs around the time this happened?

If you look at your update history, can you see any updates which were installed around the time this happened?

Have you tried uninstalling those updates?

What happens if you press the Windows key and X together?

Please see this:
    Solved Start Menu button right click menu fails - Windows 10 Forums
    and advise if anything helps ro can provide further info.

dalchina, May 5, 2016
  5. synergy1 Win User
    I was running win 10 pro at the time. We, microsoft and I, could not do any updates. That was fixed with a change to the registry. There were no updates when that happened. There was a security update after the fact. Yes it partially worked and then stopped completely. I'm running sfc /scannow now.

I did not install any programs nor to my knowledge were any updates installed for other programs.

Build 10586.218

I think I may have some other issues however. I did an install from a mounted iso file. Two hours ago scannow showed no integrity issues. Now it shows corrupt files that it can't fix. This is the third time for this same pattern. I've run Dism probably 30 times over the last week. it has only found the source files once. Using the same exact command and it won't find the source files.

I'm old 77 and if I still had hair I'd pull it out. Issues with right clicking start menu. :) Level three has not been of much help

fyi here is the dism command I'm running Dism /Online /cleanup-image /restorehealth /Source:wim:l:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

This time, make that the 2nd out of 30 that it says it worked.

Sorry to be screwing up my own thread but I ran scannow after Dism said it repaired the component store. Scannow reports that there are corrupt files that it can't fix.

Does any part of win10 work?

synergy1, May 5, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Thanks, sympathies.

Here's the pattern I think see... correct me if the assumptions I've made are wrong.

1. You were running build 10240
    2. Rt click start menu was then working (I assume)
    3. You had not been prompted to upgrade to 1511 - I assume that 'cos it seems you did that manually with an iso (I assume that's what the iso was for).
    4. That suggests that windows update had not been working up to then (possibly consistent with you saying Windows update did not work after upgrading to 1511).
    4a. rt clicking the start menu worked partially (? which means?)
    5. MS helped you fix Windows updates
    6. You have now received Windows updates and are up to date.

Comments:
    SFC /Scannow can report failures for reasons to do with
    a. opencl.dll (Nvidia) - no problem. MS is supposed to be fixing this.
    b. some audio files
    Knowing whether SFC /Scannow has really really failed means scanning the CBS.LOG file - which should not be the case of course.

What does Windows key + X do?

From the thread I quoted note this - see instructions below:
    UPDATE: I have disabled all shell extensions except MS's and the menu now works. Next I will try to isolate the culprit.

Thank you all for your comments. I will try them all if my current thought fails.

FOLLOW UP: The problem was an old ShellExtension that wasn't compatible with Win10. I uninstalled it and the menu now works fine.

Action
    Download Shellexview (free)
    Run it, hide all MS shell extensions.
    Disable all others
    Try rt clicking the start button

Post the result.

dalchina, May 5, 2016
  7. synergy1 Win User
    Window K +x brings up the same menu that right clicking the windows key does. Clicking on the icons does nothing.

Your assumptions

1. I assume so, don't know
    2 Yes with no issues
    3 I had been prompted but because of the registry error the update told us that this machine could not run Windows 10. It already was
    4. Correct
    4A Yes control panel, taskmanager. That was about all
    5. yes
    6 yes

With the last two installs from an iso file I'm getting most of my default files reset.

Dism worked here about 5 minutes ago. I have not been rebooting. Should I be doing so?

Thanks.

synergy1, May 5, 2016
  8. synergy1 Win User

I don't know what this means or how to fix it. I post in the hopes that some of you do. Thanks Bob

2016-05-06 14:28:18, Info CSI 000053bf Hashes for file member \SystemRoot\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-tabletpc-journal_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.122_none_84cfe03d038f5931\Windows Journal.lnk do not match actual file [l:19]"Windows Journal.lnk" :
    Found: {l:32 w39qCkJdOj5fkruH9r4Hcs0OtR4PiSqtB5oZZsKtUEU=} Expected: {l:32 MZg2KqMnHh+iyhodplgMB7y35LaRMt4yIz1PaJqPuwo=}
    2016-05-06 14:28:18, Info CSI 000053c0 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:19]"Windows Journal.lnk" of Microsoft-Windows-TabletPC-Journal, version 10.0.10586.122, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35} in the store, hash mismatch
    2016-05-06 14:28:18, Info CSI 000053c1@2016/5/6:20:28:18.209 Primitive installers committed for repair
    2016-05-06 14:28:18, Info CSI 000053c2 Hashes for file member \SystemRoot\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-tabletpc-journal_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.122_none_84cfe03d038f5931\Windows Journal.lnk do not match actual file [l:19]"Windows Journal.lnk" :
    Found: {l:32 w39qCkJdOj5fkruH9r4Hcs0OtR4PiSqtB5oZZsKtUEU=} Expected: {l:32 MZg2KqMnHh+iyhodplgMB7y35LaRMt4yIz1PaJqPuwo=}
    2016-05-06 14:28:18, Info CSI 000053c3 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:19]"Windows Journal.lnk" of Microsoft-Windows-TabletPC-Journal, version 10.0.10586.122, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35} in the store, hash mismatch
    2016-05-06 14:28:18, Info CSI 000053c4 [SR] This component was referenced by [l:80]"Package_1683_for_KB3147458~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.1.4.3147458-3978_neutral"
    2016-05-06 14:28:18, Info CSI 000053c5 Hashes for file member \??\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Tablet PC\Windows Journal.lnk do not match actual file [l:19]"Windows Journal.lnk" :
    2016-05-06 14:28:18, Info CSI 000053c6 Hashes for file member \SystemRoot\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-tabletpc-journal_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.122_none_84cfe03d038f5931\Windows Journal.lnk do not match actual file [l:19]"Windows Journal.lnk" :
    2016-05-06 14:28:18, Info CSI 000053c7 [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file [l:78 ml:79]"\??\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Tablet PC"\[l:19]"Windows Journal.lnk"; source file in store is also corrupted
    2016-05-06 14:28:18, Info CSI 000053c8@2016/5/6:20:28:18.332 Primitive installers committed for repair
    2016-05-06 14:28:18, Info CSI 000053c9 [SR] Repair complete

synergy1, May 5, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Hi, if those are the only fault reports in CBS.LOG, that appears to be about just one app. Are you sure there are no other occurrences of 'corrupt' or 'fail' - just search CBS.log using e.g. Notepad.

And note this:
    Error sfc /scannow
    - could be another MS inconsistency they've created.
    I have a reference to it on my laptop; it appears under Windows accessories/Tablet-PC/ in my start menu - Windows Journal.

Try what I suggested under 'Action'.

If that doesn't help, then I would normally suggest an in-place upgrade repair install - which would seem a bit strange after having just done an upgrade.

dalchina, May 6, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Create a new local user account. Change the account type to administrator. Log into the newly created account. See if the problem exists in the new user account.

NavyLCDR, May 6, 2016
  11. synergy1 Win User
    I believe these are the only ones from this scan but I will check. If I find more do you want me to paste them here?

synergy1, May 6, 2016
  12. synergy1 Win User
    Ran as requested. Made no change

synergy1, May 6, 2016
  13. synergy1 Win User

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it made no difference. What does that tell us?

synergy1, May 6, 2016
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    It tells us that it is a problem with your actual Windows installation and not just a corrupted user account.

NavyLCDR, May 6, 2016
  15. synergy1 Win User
    So the installation is flawed not necessarily the iso file? I've been downloading the 64 bit from tech bench

synergy1, May 6, 2016
Thema:

1. Issues with right clicking start menu. - Similar Threads - Issues right clicking

2. Start menu right click menu not highlighting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu right click menu not highlighting: When I go to the start menu, type in an application like cmd, then try to right click, the menu no longer highlights. Is there a fix for this problem? Thank you....
  3. Start menu right click menu not highlighting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu right click menu not highlighting: When I go to the start menu, type in an application like cmd, then try to right click, the menu no longer highlights. Is there a fix for this problem? Thank you....
  4. Right-click on start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right-click on start menu: When I right-click on the Start menu in Windows 10, it brings up the options menu and when I select Task manager nothing happens. This also happens when I try to select Device Manager, Event Viewer, Disk Manager, Computer Manager, Windows Powershell and Admin, and File...
  5. Right-click on start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Right-click on start menu: When I right-click on the Start menu in Windows 10, it brings up the options menu and when I select Task manager nothing happens. This also happens when I try to select Device Manager, Event Viewer, Disk Manager, Computer Manager, Windows Powershell and Admin, and File...
  6. Right-click on start menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. right click start menu missing?????

in Windows 10 Customization
    right click start menu missing?????: i have a issues where the right click start menu windows icon does nothing anymore for some reasons i was seeing all administrator tools like command prompt event viewer or disk management but now the right click with the mouse doesnt show the 2nd menu anymore someone have...
  8. Start Menu - Right-Click

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu - Right-Click: Hello,In the "Start Menu" there are two types of icons - one is a square with a folder icon on it, the other is a square with the program's icon.Now 'folder icons' have no right-click sub-menu, the others with a program icon have a right-click sub-menu.In the sub-items of a...
  9. Right click Start Menu

Right click Start Menu: Last few insider builds (not necessarily because of it) Most of items in Start menu's just don't do anything. Command prompt/, Disk management, Device manager, Task manager etc. Other shortcuts for them work, each one when started from anywhere else works. I made links for...
  10. Right click menu issue

Right click menu issue: I absolutely love this theme....except that the context (right click) menus remain white. I can't believe they were intended to be this way. The theme has such beautiful artwork otherwise. Any advice, suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated. (other than live with...