Windows 10: It would be unreasonable for MS to not allow Win 7/8 + 10 dual boot

Discus and support It would be unreasonable for MS to not allow Win 7/8 + 10 dual boot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is a matter of retaining access and compatibility with much already owned software. A person receives no additional benefit to it beyond that -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Delicieuxz, Jun 25, 2015.

1. It would be unreasonable for MS to not allow Win 7/8 + 10 dual boot

This is a matter of retaining access and compatibility with much already owned software. A person receives no additional benefit to it beyond that - and that is a benefit that should stay with them.

Using a license to install Windows 7, 8, and presumably 10 on a PC associates that license with the particular PC it's installed upon, and trying to install an OS with that license on another key doesn't work because the servers at MS show that the license is already registered on a PC. If a person calls MS support, they can de-register the license from the PC its on so that it can be used on a new PC.

But in the case of a dual boot, the PC its registered with for one OS is the same PC to use used with the other desired OS.

And when it's a case of dual-booting on one PC, only one OS is used at any one time, so the license is never over-lapping its use - it is always used as only one single license running just one OS at a time.

:)

Delicieuxz, Jun 25, 2015

2. Dual boot installation?

I currently dual boot Win 7 and Win 8 on my Dell PC. I want to do the clean install of Win 10 on the Win 8 partition. My question is will it affect the Win 7 partition and will I be able to dual boot win 7 and Win 10?

Thanks,

Brian

Sportsdadmi39, Jun 25, 2015
  3. Windows 10 accepting old programs

MS Office 2003 is not even compatible in win 8 so no it is not compatible with win 10

You can dual boot

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jun 25, 2015
  4. Vladimir Win User

It would be unreasonable for MS to not allow Win 7/8 + 10 dual boot

I'm not sure how it's gonna work, but I do intend to keep my multi-boot systems...

*Smile

Vladimir, Jun 25, 2015
  5. groze Win User
    Vladimir, we are not sure if that is allowed or not. I can tell you this it is a pain to do. It requires using partitioning, image backup, grub rescue boot cd, windows 7 repair cd. Cloning doesn't work that will fail.

groze, Jun 25, 2015
  6. CountMike New Member
    Simple, upgrade 7/8.1 on one disk and dual boot with 10 in insider test mode on another, it will keep getting new updates before they arrive on full W10.
    MS promises to keep insider version for some time to come as free Windows so nothing stops us for using it on another computer.

CountMike, Jun 25, 2015
  7. Boozad Win User
    What's a pain to do? Dual booting?

Boozad, Jun 25, 2015
  8. CountMike New Member

On as single disk in a laptop with UEFI, I would label it as pretty complicated at least.

CountMike, Jun 25, 2015
  9. Boozad Win User
    I'll have a go later. My dual boot on my desktop with separate SSDs for each OS was plain sailing.

Boozad, Jun 25, 2015
  10. badrobot Win User
    It's only a pain if you are dual booting 7/8 and Win 10 insider Preview either on the same or separate drive. Win 10 messes up the boot manager every upgrade. I do run multi-OS but I don't set it up for dual/triple boot. I just select a boot drive on startup. However, it's not really very difficult to fix a boot problem. It's just a waste of time doing it over and over again.

badrobot, Jun 25, 2015
  11. I might have read your response incorrectly but I have dual boot win 7 and win 8 with a win 10 insider preview with no issues whatsoever. Beyond easy. That being said I have only done it with separate SSD drives. When I do a insider preview install I always disconnect the other drives. I can see where it might be a problem trying on the same drive with different partitions.

stealth2920, Jun 25, 2015
  12. badrobot Win User
    What I meant was, it's ok to dual boot 7 & 8. But if you add Win 10 preview in the equation and with all those build upgrades, it can mess up the boot setup.

Just like you, I install Win 10 on a separate SSD and pullout the other drives when I do an upgrade or clean install of it to avoid those dual boot mess.

It would be unreasonable for MS to not allow Win 7/8 + 10 dual boot [​IMG]

badrobot, Jun 25, 2015
  13. It would be unreasonable for MS to not allow Win 7/8 + 10 dual boot

LOL That picture reminded me that your the reason I changed my drive system. I purchased those SSD adapter hot plug setups at your suggestion and they work beyond great. Don't have to open the case to unplug drives when doing these installs. I have one regular harddrive that I use for backup images, I even purchased an adapter for that.

stealth2920, Jun 25, 2015
  14. badrobot Win User
    Maybe that was me. And maybe you'll remember this other machine of mine.. *Smile

badrobot, Jun 25, 2015
  15. bromanbro Win User
    MS wants people on 10, not duel booting with older versions of Windows

bromanbro, Jun 25, 2015
Thema:

1. It would be unreasonable for MS to not allow Win 7/8 + 10 dual boot - Similar Threads - unreasonable allow dual

2. Repair Win 7 on Win 10/ Win 7 dual boot system

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Repair Win 7 on Win 10/ Win 7 dual boot system: My RAM failed resulting in corruption of Win 7 installation. Now I cannot boot to Win 7 at all. I can create another partition to install Win 7, copy and create a new partition for the MBR now allocated 3.65GB to restore after reloading Win 7, or try something else. I'm not...
  3. Dual Boot Win 10 & 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Boot Win 10 & 7: I run Win 10 (1803) on my main PC I was also running Win 10 (1803) on a secondary PC. I had a 3rd PC running Win 7 (for certain older apps I need) The PC running 7 started to have major hardware problems, so I had to junk it, but kept the HDD with 7 and my programs. I...
  4. Dual boot for Win 10, Win 7 and Centos.

Dual boot for Win 10, Win 7 and Centos.: I would like to install 3 operative system (win 10 - win 7 and centos ) on the same HD in dual boot system. I would like to keep as much as possible the OS separate (no interference) each other and more stable possible. What will be the best way to do it? I should use an...
  5. dual boot win 10/ win 7

dual boot win 10/ win 7: Hi, I have been tried to install win 7 64 bits on dual boot with win 10 64 bits already installed on my laptop but always failed. I've searched tutorials but didn't find complete ones .Most of the tutos are about installing win 10 over wind 7 on dual boot but not the...
  6. Win 7 and Win 10 Dual Boot

Win 7 and Win 10 Dual Boot: After reading many posts & reply's, I now think/understand that I cannot Dual Boot win 7 and win 10 using free Win 10, if I want to do that I must buy Win 10. Reason is the MS will not allow free Win 10 if I am still using Win 7. 1st I must update my win 7 with win 10...
  7. Dual Boot Win 7 pro and Win 10

Dual Boot Win 7 pro and Win 10: I have new computer win 7 pro with all SSD. I plan to Install Win 10 onto a separate SSD (Samsung 500gb) and will just unplug my C Drive SSD with Win 7. The C drive SSD is also 500gb Samsung but only 152gb left on that drive. Any Comments / potential problems I may have. I...
  8. dual boot win 7 and win 10?

dual boot win 7 and win 10?: I currently have win10 on a partition. I have a second partition big enough for win7. Can I install win 7 on that partition. Will installing win7 result in a win7 style boot manager? If so, how to get the win 10 boot manager? One reason I want to do this, win7 has WMC...
  9. Dual boot Win 9 preview and Win 8

Dual boot Win 9 preview and Win 8: A little early but this is what I am looking at. [img] I plan to just remove Win 7 (C) and install Win 9 Preview in its place as (C) At present Win 8 is on a Logical drive (W) but have thought about deleting Win 7 and converting Win 8 (W) to a primary partition and...
  10. how to dual boot win 7 or 10

how to dual boot win 7 or 10: i was using easybcd setup in 7 but it has failed. select win10 leaves me with grub > prompt.*Sick so i selected win10 by using pc bios. am in 10 now. what can i use with win 10? stuff like this is worthless as it assumes both os are on same drive. mine are on seperate...