Windows 10: It's time to buy a new computer

Discus and support It's time to buy a new computer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My Windows 7 desktop is six years old, and it's time to replace it. It's a moderately high-end HP desktop, so I was thinking about getting another HP.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by margrave55, Mar 16, 2017.

1. It's time to buy a new computer

My Windows 7 desktop is six years old, and it's time to replace it. It's a moderately high-end HP desktop, so I was thinking about getting another HP. But a co-worker suggested a semi-custom from non-HP, non-Dell sources.

Anyway, here's a sample of what I found:
    Code: $1100, Dell XPS 8910, i7-6700, 16 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 750Ti, 1 TB HDD $1219, HP Envy 750-410xt, i7-6700, 16 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 960, 1 TB HDD $1119, HP Envy 750-410xt, i7-6700, 16 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 750, 1 TB HDD $1350, HP Omen 870-100xt, i7-6700, 16 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 750Ti, 256 GB SSD + 2 TB HDD $1476, Xidax X-5, i7-7700, 32 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1050, 512 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD[/quote] I've never heard of Xidax before, but they're out there. Perhaps there are others?
    I just don't know what to pick.

Side notes:
    1. I will need a 500 or 512 GB SSD. If I buy without, I'll have to add. This is the part where I'm inclined to dump HP and Dell. They have little flexibility in SSDs, and anyway they charge big dollars for no-name parts.
    2. I've recently learned that the GTX x50 cards are not for gaming. I'm not a big gamer, but I was told I ought to go for a GTX x60 or above. True?
    3. I will need 16 GB RAM.
    4. This will be my first Windows 10 box. Windows 7 home had a 16 GB RAM limit. Does that hold for Windows 10, too?

SSD explanation: I run piano libraries. The smallest of these is around 4 GB. The largest is a four-piano set at around 65 GB. In all I have around 160 GB of disk occupied by this stuff. The software typically loads 2 GB into RAM at startup, so load time would decrease if this were on SSD. That's why I insist on a 500 GB SSD, rather than the typical 128 or 256. (Indeed, I'm inclined to consider 256 SSD for the OS, and 512 for the pianos.)

:)

margrave55, Mar 16, 2017

2. Forced to buy a new computer after falling victim to the tech support scam

I have been receiving calls from a John Snow who wanted to removed viruses

from my computer. Last Friday, August 11, he said he could remove the viruses and began to "clean" my computer. He said that the cleansing would cost $350 which I stupidly paid. After about 5 hours, the computer was "clean" and a restart was ordered. I could
    not use my device because it was still loading. At 9:00 a.m. on Saturday, the 12th, Snow contacted my again to see if the computer was working. It was still in the download mode and stayed that way until the following day, nd it was still downloading. I was
    forced to buy a new computer at the cost of $700.00. I would like to know if this individual is associated with Microsoft Edge. I know that I will probably not be able to recover the $350.00, but I would appreciate your checking into this matter.

Thank you

Larry Hull

LarryHull79, Mar 16, 2017
  3. Forced to buy a new computer after falling victim to the tech support scam

Contact your financial institutions and tell them you were the victim of a fraud and follow their recommendations.

Solar-Eclipse, Mar 16, 2017
  4. DeclanT Win User

It's time to buy a new computer

Hi Margrave55,

I recommend a 500gb SDD to store your operating system and primary programs. I would highly recommend a secondary HDD which you should use to most of your programs and data files. Your data files and Piano files will not be hugely affected by being on HDD.

If you do not intend to use the system much for gaming then a GTX 1050 would be more than enough. Unfortunately, I have tried to search the Piano libraries software and have been unable to locate the correct specs required. Will you please link me to the Piano libraries website as that should tell us the recommend RAM, however, I doubt that you will require more than 16gb.

Windows 10 home 64bit will allow you to use up to 128gb of RAM.

DeclanT, Mar 16, 2017
  5. CountMike New Member
    Why don't you build your own ? Get more for less like that without constrictions of brand name makes.

CountMike, Mar 16, 2017
  6. DeclanT Win User
    CountMike makes a great point. If you by a none standard form factor PC from a company such as Dell then finding replacement parts can be very difficult.

DeclanT, Mar 16, 2017
  7. I don't build computers. That's why someone suggested a custom-build shop. But which one? Would that be a local shop, or an online-order shop? Which one(s) are trustworthy?

As for RAM ... 16 GB will be enough for now, but I have a 16 GB limit in Windows 7 Home. I don't know what the limits are in Windows 10. Can I go to 32 GB? Do I need a "Pro" version for that?

Anyway, I'm not too worried about the specs and parts. I've bought from Dell and HP in the past, but I'm inclined to look elsewhere this time. So my main question is: What reliable source should I buy from?

margrave55, Mar 16, 2017
  8. It's time to buy a new computer

I don't build computers. That's why someone suggested a custom-build shop. But which one? Would that be a local shop, or an online-order shop? Which one(s) are trustworthy?

As for RAM ... 16 GB will be enough for now, but I have a 16 GB limit in Windows 7 Home. I don't know what the limits are in Windows 10. Can I go to 32 GB? Do I need a "Pro" version for that?

Anyway, I'm not too worried about the specs and parts. I've bought from Dell and HP in the past, but I'm inclined to look elsewhere this time. So my main question is: What reliable source should I buy from?

margrave55, Mar 16, 2017
  9. DeclanT Win User
    The only one I have had experience with is Gladiator PC. Most of their systems are targeted to gamers however if you give the sales team a call, I believe they also build custom PCs to all specs.

Windows 10 Home will allow up to 128gb of RAM. Windows 10 pro will allow up to 2tb of RAM.

Custom PCs & Gaming Computers | Gladiator Computers

DeclanT, Mar 16, 2017
  10. Thanks for mentioning Gladiator.
    But I forgot to mention that I'm in the US (North Carolina).
    Gladiator is in the UK.
    I need a US-based supplier.

margrave55, Mar 16, 2017
  11. essenbe Win User
    I would suggest a local shop. Give them the specs of what you want and ask them how much. Maybe buy the parts yourself and ask them how much to put it together. I'm sure there are others around your town who can tell you their experiences with some of the local shops.

essenbe, Mar 16, 2017
  12. DeclanT Win User
    Local Computer store sounds like your best bet! At least you don't need to worry about delivery damage.

DeclanT, Mar 16, 2017
  13. It's time to buy a new computer

Thanks for the advice.

I found a local shop who offers an i7-7700K, 512 GB SSD plus 1 TB drive, 16 GB RAM, and GTX 1060 video for $1506.

But I also found a Dell XPS 8920 with the same specs (and wireless, too) for $1416. Tempting.

The local builder specifies his components. Dell does not.

I'm particularly interested in the PSU make, and the make/model of the SSD and disk drive.
    So far no luck on finding detailed Dell information online.

margrave10, Mar 18, 2017
  14. SoFine409 Win User
    I don't build PCs either. I've had several high end custom built Gaming PCs and they were fine but $$$. Since then I bought only Dells. I have 3 desktops (2-XPS 8700 and 1-XPS 8300) and an Inspiron laptop. They tun forever. I've never had problems with any and the oldest is more than 6 years old. Only things I have done to them is adding extra HDDs and SSDs. If I were fiddling with adding video cards then yes a Dell would not be a good choice.

SoFine409, Mar 18, 2017
  15. I've decided to buy the Dell. Code: Dell XPS 8920 Windows 10 Home x64 i7-7700K 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz 512 GB M.2 SSD 2 TB drive Nvidia GTX 1060, 6 GB Integrated audio 802.11ac, Bluetooth 4.0 DVD burner Card reader 1 year hardware warranty[/quote] The nearest competitor was a local shop ... but his had: Code: CPU: i7-7700 instead of i7-7700K Drive: 1 TB drive instead of 2 TB Price: $96 more than Dell[/quote] Another shop had it with the i7-7700K, but came in $260 more than Dell.

Thanks for all the help.

margrave10, Mar 28, 2017
Thema:

It's time to buy a new computer

1. It's time to buy a new computer - Similar Threads - buy computer

2. i buyed a headset that has jute one wire. i want to config it with my computer but i cant...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i buyed a headset that has jute one wire. i want to config it with my computer but i cant...: i have ak17 gaming headset and when im using aux cable , headset cant recognize left sounds and right sounds and when i dont use aux cable , my microphone doesnt working please help me!!!...
  3. i buyed a headset that has jute one wire. i want to config it with my computer but i cant...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i buyed a headset that has jute one wire. i want to config it with my computer but i cant...: i have ak17 gaming headset and when im using aux cable , headset cant recognize left sounds and right sounds and when i dont use aux cable , my microphone doesnt working please help me!!!...
  4. i buyed a headset that has jute one wire. i want to config it with my computer but i cant...

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Why do I always have to re-buy Minecraft everytime I switch computers?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do I always have to re-buy Minecraft everytime I switch computers?: I've finally gotten a really nice PC and I download Minecraft just for it to tell me I have to buy it again. This is probably the third time this has happened and it has made me re-buy Minecraft. I love this game but why can't I just buy it and feel safe its mine. Sometimes...
  6. Why do I always have to re-buy Minecraft everytime I switch computers?

Why do I always have to re-buy Minecraft everytime I switch computers?: I've finally gotten a really nice PC and I download Minecraft just for it to tell me I have to buy it again. This is probably the third time this has happened and it has made me re-buy Minecraft. I love this game but why can't I just buy it and feel safe its mine. Sometimes...
  7. I just got a new computer, do I have to buy Minecraft again?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I just got a new computer, do I have to buy Minecraft again?: I just got a new PC and would like to play Minecraft Bedrock on it. I had previously bought Minecraft on an older computer, but when I log into the Minecraft launcher on the new computer with the same account I originally bought Minecraft from, it just says I need to buy it....
  8. I just got a new computer, do I have to buy Minecraft again?

I just got a new computer, do I have to buy Minecraft again?: I just got a new PC and would like to play Minecraft Bedrock on it. I had previously bought Minecraft on an older computer, but when I log into the Minecraft launcher on the new computer with the same account I originally bought Minecraft from, it just says I need to buy it....
  9. If I buy a UHD movie for xbox, can I stream on my computer as HD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If I buy a UHD movie for xbox, can I stream on my computer as HD?: If I buy a UHD movie for Xbox, can I stream on my computer as HD? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/if-i-buy-a-uhd-movie-for-xbox-can-i-stream-on-my/94bfb9ad-cbaf-4eb9-98ae-f20c0b9348c0
  10. If I buy a UHD movie for xbox, can I stream on my computer as HD?

If I buy a UHD movie for xbox, can I stream on my computer as HD?: If I buy a UHD movie for Xbox, can I stream on my computer as HD? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/if-i-buy-a-uhd-movie-for-xbox-can-i-stream-on-my/94bfb9ad-cbaf-4eb9-98ae-f20c0b9348c0