Windows 10: I've accidentally replaced my User folder with my Pictures folder

Discus and support I've accidentally replaced my User folder with my Pictures folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a laptop with an SSD and a HDD, so I decided I would move the Videos and Pictures folders to my HDD to save some room on the SSD. So,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RBS95, Aug 10, 2018.

1. RBS95 Win User

I've accidentally replaced my User folder with my Pictures folder

I have a laptop with an SSD and a HDD, so I decided I would move the Videos and Pictures folders to my HDD to save some room on the SSD. So, C:\Users\reece\Videos changed to D:\Videos as intended. I tried the same with Pictures and Documents but then changed my mind so tried to move it back into the C:\Users\reece folder, but accidentally replaced the reece folder, so now my C:\Users folder looks like this Restore Default Location of Personal Folders in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials to restore the Pictures folder to where it should be, but my user folder still remains as "Pictures" instead of just my name. Is there a way to get it set back to normal? I don't have a system restore point and whenever I try to create a reece folder in C:\Users it just disappears

:)

RBS95, Aug 10, 2018
  2. Mohan B P Win User

Picture User Folder vs Library Picture Folder / Add to User folder

Hi,

Form the issue description, I realize that you are trying to view your pictures in the default pictures library. To do so, you have to change the location of the folder that contains your pictures to the default pictures library folder.

To view your pictures in the default pictures library, I suggest you to follow the steps below.

• Right-click on the default Picture folder
      and click on Properties.

• Navigate to Location tab.

• Click on Move…. and select the folder that contains your pictures and click on
      Apply and then click on Ok.

Hope the information helps. Kindly write back to us for further information on Windows. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohan B P, Aug 10, 2018
  3. Frogger Win User
    ?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile I've accidentally replaced my User folder with my Pictures folder :)

Frogger, Aug 10, 2018
  4. I've accidentally replaced my User folder with my Pictures folder

Pictures Folder Accidentally Remapped to D:\

[UPDATE]

I remapped the Pictures folder to C:\Users\[username]\Pictures even though the Pictures folder didn't exist, chose not to have my files automatically moved, then remapped it a second time to my intended destination at D:\Pictures. The folder name was then reverted
    back to Pictures and any relation to the D drive was removed!

Hello all,

I recently re-installed Windows and was in the process of mapping the media libraries listed under This PC from C drive to my D drive when under Pictures, I accidentally selected D:/ in the Select a Destination GUI. I had selected my existing Pictures folder
    yet it selected the entire D drive. It now behaves like the actual D drive when I right-click on the Pictures folder under This PC and select Properties, except the Location tab is still there. When I attempt to remap the folder to D:\Pictures, a dialog box
    appears, telling me that the specified path is invalid. When I try to remap the folder to C:\Users\[username]\Pictures in an attempt to troubleshoot, there is no Pictures folder there yet when I create a New Folder and rename it to Pictures, I'm told that
    a Pictures folder exists. Any help would be appreciated.

thebutler93, Aug 10, 2018
Thema:

I've accidentally replaced my User folder with my Pictures folder

1. I've accidentally replaced my User folder with my Pictures folder - Similar Threads - I've accidentally replaced

2. I accidentally set my video folder to my user folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I accidentally set my video folder to my user folder: I accidentally set my video folder to my user folder was trying to move it to a different drive and now my user folder is called "Videos" and even has the icon... I cant change the location again cause I get the "cant redirect a parent into a child" error and all that. Pls...
  3. I accidentally set my video folder to my user folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I accidentally set my video folder to my user folder: I accidentally set my video folder to my user folder was trying to move it to a different drive and now my user folder is called "Videos" and even has the icon... I cant change the location again cause I get the "cant redirect a parent into a child" error and all that. Pls...
  4. Replaced my users profile with Pictures folder.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Replaced my users profile with Pictures folder.: I wanted to transfer my Pictures from Local Disk: D to Local Disk: CBut I remember, when I set the location in properties of Pictures, I set it as "C:\Users\myusernameI did that coz I wanted the Picture folder to be inside there,But it replaced my myusername instead of...
  5. Replaced my users profile with Pictures folder.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Replaced my users profile with Pictures folder.: I wanted to transfer my Pictures from Local Disk: D to Local Disk: CBut I remember, when I set the location in properties of Pictures, I set it as "C:\Users\myusernameI did that coz I wanted the Picture folder to be inside there,But it replaced my myusername instead of...
  6. Replaced my users profile with Pictures folder.

7. Help! 'Pictures' folder replaced my user profile, now all the contents of pictures and my...

Help! 'Pictures' folder replaced my user profile, now all the contents of pictures and my...: So I moved the default file location for both Pictures and Videos to a new drive, after some time I decided to move them back, but when I moved pictures to my user my name 'pictures' replaced my name so the pictures folder is the default location for all my user info, how do...
  8. Help! 'Pictures' folder replaced my user profile, now all the contents of pictures and my...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help! 'Pictures' folder replaced my user profile, now all the contents of pictures and my...: So I moved the default file location for both Pictures and Videos to a new drive, after some time I decided to move them back, but when I moved pictures to my user my name 'pictures' replaced my name so the pictures folder is the default location for all my user info, how do...
  9. Help! 'Pictures' folder replaced my user profile, now all the contents of pictures and my...

10. I accidentally merged my Users folder with Desktop Folder

I accidentally merged my Users folder with Desktop Folder: Hello! I recently got a new computer and I was moving most of my Users files from my SSD to my HDD but I wanted my Desktop file to be on my SSD. So I proceeded to moving it back to the SSD Users file, but I forgot to create a subfolder for my desktop, so I ended up merging my...