Windows 10: I've lost all my files to encryption after transfer and fresh boot

Discus and support I've lost all my files to encryption after transfer and fresh boot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I could really use someones help here, I'm on the verge of panic. I was running windows 10 but I decided to do a fresh install of windows 7 pro. So... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Scintards, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Scintards Win User

I've lost all my files to encryption after transfer and fresh boot

I could really use someones help here, I'm on the verge of panic.

I was running windows 10 but I decided to do a fresh install of windows 7 pro. So i backed up all of my files onto a 500gb passport type portable drive. Now after the transfer, both the files on my PC and the hard drive are showing as green. which after some research means they could be encrypted.

I've tried everything I've found online to be able to open them, including going onto properties and advanced, changed the permissions and unchecked the Encrypt box ( it was never checked) and they're still un-accessible.

I know a far bit about computers but I truly have no idea what to do?

Are my files gone forever? I don't want to believe I've lost 100gb of memories, I would be forever grateful if somebody could get this sorted for me.

Thankyou *Smile

:)

Scintards, Oct 29, 2017
  2. Elemino Win User

Computer freezes randomly. I'm using bitlocker and eDrive.

It was a fresh install of Windows. It's been driving me nuts, but I think I've tracked down the problem to a faulty secondary drive (not the one encrypted). Odd because the problem only happened after the boot drive was encrypted (and I fresh installed
    Windows 10 about 7 times over two days testing this theory), but now that I've removed the faulty secondary drive, the problem seems to have disappeared. If I experience more crashes, I will update this.

Elemino, Oct 29, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Pro - How do I disable encryption of my data

I have a desktop, which lives at home and which has no sensitive or private files on it, only photographs, music and films. Therefore, I do not need to encrypt my hard disks, and in fact with encryption there is the risk of the keys getting lost and being
    unable to access the files later on.

I was therefore surprised to find that my fresh install (not upgrade from 8.1) was encrypting my data, and urging me to back-up the encryption keys. I absolutely do not want my data encrypted - how do I turn it off, and decrypt if necessary whatever data
    has already been encrypted?

There is no indication of what data is being encrypted, the desktop has three HD and accesses a NAS. The desktop also has four users. Is every user's data being encrypted?, all the hard disks?

Finnbar10Pro, Oct 29, 2017
  4. Plankton Win User

This is a classic example of why to have a cloud backup. I use "Backup and Sync" from Google for desktop. It works great. Now you have a hard copy on your PC and a cloud backup.

On to your issue. Can you connect the portable drive to another PC and see if the images are accessible there?

Plankton, Oct 29, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    Having used My Passport... could be your problem.
    Western Digital's hard drive encryption is useless. Totally useless • The Register

Apps Tab
    The Apps tabs displays the list of WD applications included in the WD Discovery
    suite and a number of third party applications created by other companies and
    organizations. The WD applications include:
    ▪ WD Backup: makes backing up your personal
    files,
    photos, videos and music
    simple and easy
    ▪ WD Drive Utilities: allows you to keep your drive performing at its best, and
    includes sleep, health, RAID settings, and drive erase features
    WD Security: implements password protection and the 256-bit hardware data
    encryption capabilities of your supported WD hard drive

https://www.wdc.com/content/dam/wdc/...779-705155.pdf

I stick to Hitachi and Toshiba disks... hopefully someone who is familiar with these can help, assuming this underlies your problem.

(@Plankton: Cloud backup might be ok for some things, but often upload speeds preclude this for larger data volumes).

dalchina, Oct 29, 2017
  6. Plankton Win User
    @dalchina - I was basing my suggestion based off the attachment provided....that they were are image files.

Plankton, Oct 29, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    100gb to upload... about 31 hrs at my 9Mb/s upload speed..

@Scintards - exactly how did you back up the data?

dalchina, Oct 29, 2017
  8. Scintards Win User

Hey guys, There's photos/videos and other files in there, lots of folders. I used a Buffalo HD-PV500U2 500gb hard drive, I know I should've used a cloud based software but wouldn't it be nice if we all had the power of hindsight haha.

It's definitely something the portable hard drive has done because it's the same on my other pc, I'll give it a go on my laptop now and see if I get any different results.

I'll report back!

Scintards, Oct 29, 2017
  9. Plankton Win User
    I've never heard of that brand before. Your assumption may be right.....I would check with Buffalo support for an explanation on how to rectify this.

Plankton, Oct 29, 2017
  10. Scintards Win User
    I can confirm it does not work on my laptop either, This is what I think has happened, I could be wrong but the hard drive has automatically encrypted the files (for safety reasons) which are only accessible by the user who transferred the files onto it. so when I did a fresh install to windows 7 pro, I have now lost access to them. I think I've well and truly screwed myself her lads.

Scintards, Oct 29, 2017
  11. Scintards Win User
    I've lost all my files to encryption after transfer and fresh boot [​IMG]
    Okay so when I plugged it back into my main PC, I chose the option to Import files rather than just explore them, I can actually see the thumbnails of the lost photos now so I'm being hopeful that I've somehow fixed it! Fingers crossed.

Scintards, Oct 29, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    It may be a matter of using the software associated with the drive configured with the appropriate key, password or whatever it is.

dalchina, Oct 29, 2017
  13. Scintards Win User

Okay, didn't work, I think it's safe to say the're gone.

Scintards, Oct 29, 2017
  14. clam1952 Win User
    Have you tried installing the buffalo software, if you have and can remember the password you should in theory be be able retrieve the files?

Edit:

Found the manuals suggest if you haven't got one you download from Buffalo here: HD-PCU2 : MiniStation™ click downloads, need to read slm.pdf in particular the part about using on a different PC

clam1952, Oct 29, 2017
  15. Agreed.

Unless you have a ridiculous Internet upload speed, 100 GB is going to take days.

I once uploaded a 1 GB video (TAFE project) and it took ~6 hours.

lehnerus2000, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. I've lost all my files to encryption after transfer and fresh boot - Similar Threads - I've lost files

2. Copying and transferring encrypted files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copying and transferring encrypted files: I am trying to move a series of encrypted image and pdf files used within a FileMaker Pro database from my Dell Windows 10 Pro 2015 laptop to a flash drive and then to my Dell Window 10 Home 2020 desktop computer. Each of the file icons have a little lock image on them. I was...
  3. Lost all files after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lost all files after update: Hello, My computer recently did an update and now all my files are not there. My apps are still on the pc but they all need reinstalled. Also, when I look into the users folder there are only two files: TEMP &Public. And my profile isn't there. Even my wallpaper was...
  4. My laptop factory reset itself and now I've lost all my files!

My laptop factory reset itself and now I've lost all my files!: Hi, My laptop reset itself and I've now lost every app, picture, document etc that was saved on my Windows 10 laptop! It even reset the home screen image that I had! Is there any way that I can retrieve my files?!...
  5. I've lost 99 % of all my photos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I've lost 99 % of all my photos: help.. I've lost 99 % of all my photos..wen I opened windows photo app this morning a few pics left but most are just empty boxes with a cloud icon ..cant find a a way to recover them .. any ideas plz..also I have the old picasa 3 installed and all my pics have gone from...
  6. Lost all my files after upgrade

Lost all my files after upgrade: My laptop undertook an automatic upgrade yesterday and now I cannot find any of my previously saved documents and files - photos and many word document. I have tried looking in the C drive and users - all folders empty. How can I recover these many files that I thought I...
  7. All my files ENCRYPTED

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    All my files ENCRYPTED: hi I found all my fiIes ENCRYPTED . ..then ifound text in all folder saying that """---------------------------------------------- ALL YOUR FILES ARE ENCRYPTED ----------------------------------------------- Don't worry, you can return all your files! All your files...
  8. I've lost my memory

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I've lost my memory: Well not literally but since upgrading a Dell 755 to w10 (32 bit) I not only have 2.99 available memory out of the 4gb installed. Under W7 I had over 3.5 gig" so what has stolen my memory? Another identical machine running W10 but 64bit has 8 gig installed of which 7.86 is...
  9. Transfer files between encrypted and non-encrypted drives?

in Windows 10 Support
    Transfer files between encrypted and non-encrypted drives?: Not sure where to post this, but... I’m currently awaiting a TPM module for my PC. Will use it in conjunction with BitLocker. Question, if I encrypt my drive, as long as I’m logged in to the encrypted PC, I assume I can still transfer files and folders between encrypted...
  10. Encrypt My All Files

in Windows 10 Support
    Encrypt My All Files: Hi All i encrypt some files (Properties ->General ->advanced ) but from that time any file i created it , it become encrypt defalutly , how fix it? 22046

Users found this page by searching for:

1. all files disappeared after encryption