Windows 10: I've moved shared Pictures folder to another drive but didn't name it

Discus and support I've moved shared Pictures folder to another drive but didn't name it in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I recently upgraded to Windows 10, Put OS onto SSD along with a few other essentials and have a second hard drive for storage. The shared... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Frisbeecatcher, Feb 15, 2016.

1. I've moved shared Pictures folder to another drive but didn't name it

Hello, I recently upgraded to Windows 10, Put OS onto SSD along with a few other essentials and have a second hard drive for storage.

The shared Pictures, Videos, Documents (etc) folders were all by default on my relatively small SSD.

Figured out how to move location of the folders (in case it helps anyone reading - right click the relevant folder, select 'Properties', then select 'Location', then 'Move', browse to where you want it to go . . .)

Here's the thing, in the process of moving my 'Pictures' folder to what is currently labelled as my F:\ drive, I managed to browse to F - but not actually select a folder.

My 'Pictures' location is now my F:\ drive , oops, I'm now feeling like a bit of a donkey! but hey ho, I'll just move 'Pictures' again - to a folder this time - with a name right? - NO, that wont work - I guess because it now thinks I want to move the entire contents of my F:\ drive maybe?

OK - well, there's an option to 'Restore Default' (within the Location tab) - I select that and it looks promising, the original target on my C:\ drive shows in the window but upon pressing 'Apply' it then asks:

Do you want to move all of the files from the old location to the new location?
    Old location: F:\
    New Location: C:\Users\Laptop\Pictures

We recommend moving all of the files so that programs needing to access the folder's content can do so.

And if I press yes, I get:

The folder can't be moved here
    Access is denied.

Basically the same issue again - The 'Folder' in this case is my F:\ drive that has other shared folders within it - so I guess that's why I can't do this?

So, currently I have a drive as a location for my 'Pictures' not a convenient holding folder within that drive.

The method for moving all the other folders has been fine (where I actually moved them to named folders on a different drive).

I've done a stupid thing, does anyone have any ideas to help rectify my error?

Thanks in advance

:)

Frisbeecatcher, Feb 15, 2016
  2. dridri92 Win User

Users folder missing after trying to relocate Downloads

On my hard drive D: , I've created a folder with my name (Users) and inside, i've created several folders (Pictures, Downloads, Documents...). Let's take "Pictures" for example : right-click on the original folders (Pictures, Downloads, Documents...)
    found in C:/users/*username* then go to properties > Location and click on "move".

What I just meant is that this "Move" button is not clear at all, because you believe it will actually move the folder in the location that you've just pointed to. But in fact, the folder merges with that location (so you have to previously create
    a new "Pictures" or "Documents" folder). And if you happened to move the folder at the root of your hard drive
    (like I did the first time) , it becomes a mess because Windows makes a "confusion" between the hard drive and the folder... and then you cannot even reset the default location in the Properties...

dridri92, Feb 15, 2016
  3. Windows 10 wants to "redirect" Pictures folder into Music folder on external drive -

or it refuses to move the Pictures folder at all.

I have already moved the system folder for Music to the external drive, so long ago that I don't remember the details. I want to move the system folder for Pictures on the external drive. I'm using the location tab of "properties", and browsed to the drive,
    selecting it. The location shows as "D:\". I okay the move, then a message appears:

Folder Redirection

Do you want to redirect folder "Pictures" into another system folder "Music", located at "D:\"? If you proceed with redirection you will not be able to separate them or restore default location.

Do you still want to proceed with redirection?

Apparently I'm given the choice of merging the two system folders or not moving the Pictures system folder at all. D drive has more than enough room on it for these two system folders to live comfortably. There are also some file folders on the drive,
    but plenty of space.

Is there some reason the OS thinks this external drive (which is connected 98% of the time), is consumed by the Music system folder, so that the only option is to merge the two?

I won't go ahead with the move under those circumstances. I've read that this has unfortunate consequences and isn't easily reversed.

I'm guessing that I might be able to move the Pictures system folder if I move it to another folder on the drive, as in "D:/Annoyed, not just "D:/", but I'm trying to do away with clutter, not add another layer.

Is there a way to move the system folder "Pictures" to the drive "D:/", and have it reside as a separate folder from the system folder "Music", already located on the drive?

sam8988378, Feb 15, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

I've moved shared Pictures folder to another drive but didn't name it

Brink, Feb 15, 2016
  5. and yay, a great aura surrounded Brink as he bestowed his knowledge upon me! . . .

um, yes thanks that worked a treat*Party

Thank you so much, not just for giving a spot-on solution, but for such a quick response to my first time post on here!

Brink, you are clearly an MVP for good reason - I salute you!

Frisbeecatcher, Feb 15, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome Frisbeecatcher. I'm glad it was able to help. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

I've moved shared Pictures folder to another drive but didn't name it

1. I've moved shared Pictures folder to another drive but didn't name it - Similar Threads - I've moved shared

2. Moving desktop folder to another drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving desktop folder to another drive: Hi all. I have just had to reinstall windoes due booting problems. I want to move desktop, documents folders etc to another drive. I know how to do it right click, properties, location, move but the issue I have is that I already have these folders on another drive due to the...
  3. Moving desktop folder to another drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving desktop folder to another drive: Hi all. I have just had to reinstall windoes due booting problems. I want to move desktop, documents folders etc to another drive. I know how to do it right click, properties, location, move but the issue I have is that I already have these folders on another drive due to the...
  4. I can't move pictures to another folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't move pictures to another folder: I was trying to move some pictures to another folder, but there's no option to moveanymore. Why did Windows 11 drop the option to move files to another folder?Why do they keep doing this? I have some pictures in the wrong folder, and there's no optionto move them anymore. The...
  5. I can't move pictures to another folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't move pictures to another folder: I was trying to move some pictures to another folder, but there's no option to moveanymore. Why did Windows 11 drop the option to move files to another folder?Why do they keep doing this? I have some pictures in the wrong folder, and there's no optionto move them anymore. The...
  6. Moving Folders to Another Drive

Moving Folders to Another Drive: I wanted to move some folders to another drive and found this article, https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-tip-move-your-default-data-folders-to-a-different-drive/#:~:text=To%20make%20the%20move%2C%20open,new%20location%20for%20that%20folder.I followed the steps to move...
  7. Name change while moving NTFS folder names to another drive

Name change while moving NTFS folder names to another drive: When I do a CUT/PASTE of folders to another drive sometimes the folder name in the target changes. I use the NTFS filesystem of windows 10 latest version. What can this be ?...
  8. Moving pictures from one folder to another

Moving pictures from one folder to another: How do you open 2 folders side by side so you can drag and drop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/moving-pictures-from-one-folder-to-another/2ea83dc2-e384-4573-90fa-cc81f140d97a"
  9. Moving Public Folder to another drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving Public Folder to another drive: I have been asked to install an HDD in a church pc which only has a 224GB SanDisk SSD which is running out of space. The problem I can foresee is that the church uses an application called SongPro which insists to install in the C:\Users\Programs File (x86) and the data files...
  10. Share a folder/drive with a named user from another computer

Share a folder/drive with a named user from another computer: Ideally I'd like to share a drive, but even giving access to "Everyone" results in an error message "You do not have permission..." I can successfully share a folder on that drive, if again I give access to "Everyone" which seem like madness... As the title says, I want...