Windows 10: Java programs (I think) only working on Primary Monitor

Discus and support Java programs (I think) only working on Primary Monitor in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; As of a software uipdate last night (I am trying to find out the contents of it), my Java Apps are only working on the main display. I have a Latitude... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by shutupandshave, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Java programs (I think) only working on Primary Monitor

As of a software uipdate last night (I am trying to find out the contents of it), my Java Apps are only working on the main display.
    I have a Latitude E7250 and was running the laptop screen and 2 external screens.
    Initially I thought that it was only the laptop screen that was working, but after making an external screen into my "Main Display" and seeing it work, I've realised that it's only the primary that works.
    All other apps work in all the windows. It SEEMS that it's just Java apps that have the issue.

When I say "broken", the window contents don't redraw/become unresponsive. Please note though, the app doesn't actually freeze. I can still drag the app to other monitors.

Has anyone seen anything like this? More importantly does anyone know how to resolve it.

:)

shutupandshave, Aug 17, 2017
  2. Jay Jap Win User

Display 2nd monitor blank. Screen blank. I can’t change settings

Hello Joanne,

As you mentioned, there is no option for you to make a single monitor as primary since there is only one monitor connected. Regarding your concern, I would suggest you interchange the physical connection of your monitors on the back of your computer so that,
    the working monitor will be detected as primary and the second monitor (That is not working) as secondary. Then go back to settings to set the primary as the main display and return the original physical connections of your monitors. If done properly, this
    would make the working monitor as the primary.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

If you think this was useful, you may "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

Jay Jap, Aug 17, 2017
  3. UAC prompt position (off screen/monitor). How to force to be beside mouse or at least on same screen/monitor

Ah, this is not what occurs! As I say it is appearing on the middle not primary monitor. I want it to work as you describe not as it is happening.

Bertram Moshier, Aug 17, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

Java programs (I think) only working on Primary Monitor

Can you drag the windows that are open over to the other desktop?

bro67, Aug 18, 2017
  5. Yes, but when I do that, the UI inside the window freezes. I can drag them back to the primary monitor and they start working again.

shutupandshave, Aug 20, 2017
  6. bro67 Win User
    If you are not extending the desktop, you can see issues with the OS having to do some housekeeping to be able to show the window you move over to another screen. If you are running in Java and not the browser, Java has to do some work also before it can show what you want. I have worked with Java programs a lot with my employer before I retired. Never had issues even with the old P4's that we ran them on. I always ran defrag and disk clean when I got a new workstation, because that was the number one problem when dealing with stuff not working like it should.

bro67, Aug 21, 2017
  7. himarneo Win User
    I have the same problem with my compuper since 2 weeks ago.
    I have an asus laptop with Windows 7 and when i try to move a window working on Java to a secondary screen, the image of the window fails. In the primary screen it works perfectly.

himarneo, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Java programs (I think) only working on Primary Monitor

1. Java programs (I think) only working on Primary Monitor - Similar Threads - Java programs working

2. Dual monitors: keeping the primary display primary

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dual monitors: keeping the primary display primary: I have a Lenovo i7 Desktop PC with an Intel HD Graphics 4600 PCI card with 2 DisplayPort and 1 VGA outputs. One DP output is connected to my primary monitor, a 1080p Lenovo monitor. The other DP output is connected to my 55" Samsung HDTV, also 1080p, via a DisplayPort to...
  3. Programs do not start, explorer crashes, if only working with primary Laptop display. I...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Programs do not start, explorer crashes, if only working with primary Laptop display. I...: Since the latest Windows 10 2004 upgrade I experience severe issues with Windows or Programs not working anymore because a explorer/desktop constantly dies after login screen flashes, everything locked except ctr-alt-del, ctl-shift-esc or alike taskmanger shows...
  4. Icons to primary monitor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Icons to primary monitor: I added a monitor to my tv/monitor for a dual screen setup. Windows automatically made the pc monitor the main screen and moved all my icons there. I want the tv as main so I changed it and the icons moved automatically. I decided I didn't like the tv as the main and once...
  5. Program windows move to primary monitor upon wake or startup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Program windows move to primary monitor upon wake or startup: As stated in the subject line, I have a dual monitor setup, primary is plugged in via a displayport cable, and the secondary is connected via hdmi to my GPU which is a evga 1080ti ftw3 with the latest driversnot sure if thats relevant. I use my secondary monitor to display a...
  6. Windows 10 detecting primary monitor only when second monitor unplugged

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 detecting primary monitor only when second monitor unplugged: Whenever i plug in my second monitor it only detects the second monitor despite my primary monitor being plugged in, if i then unplug my second monitor it detects both monitors despite only having the primary one plugged in, any idea what is happening?...
  7. Games no longer work on primary monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Games no longer work on primary monitor: Hello I am having an issue where it appears that the I cannot run ANY game on my primary monitor anymore natively. If I run a game at 1920x1080 or lower resolution, it displays on my secondary monitor which natively runs at x1080. My primary is at 3840x2160. No matter how...
  8. Open Shell 4.4.131 only works on primary monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Open Shell 4.4.131 only works on primary monitor: Figured I would move up to Open Shell today, however on my dual monitor setup it only works on the primary monitor and I get the native win10 v1809 start menu on monitor number 2. I'm using Actual Multiple Monitors as well. Has anyone else had this happen? I'm back on Classic...
  9. All Java programs have stopped working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All Java programs have stopped working.: Hi, I recently updated my computer to Windows 10 which worked fine. Today, I started to do some programming in Java which I do a lot. I noticed that when I ran my java application, or ANY java application, within a few seconds it would say "Java SE Binary has stopped...
  10. Programs on 2nd monitor (extended display) minimize to primary

in Windows 10 Support
    Programs on 2nd monitor (extended display) minimize to primary: I am running W10 Pro 1607 14393.10. This problem has occured in earlier builds. I have a 2nd monitor that I have set as an extended display. I usually keep Adobe Reader open to view pdf as I work. If I leave my pc and return to enter password, it is not fully sleep - it...