Windows 10: Join Windows 10 PC to a Domain

Discus and support Join Windows 10 PC to a Domain in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Join Windows 10 PC to a Domain How to Join a Windows 10 PC to a Local Active Directory Domain A network based on a Domain provides... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Kari, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Kari Win User

Join Windows 10 PC to a Domain

How to: Join Windows 10 PC to a Domain

How to Join a Windows 10 PC to a Local Active Directory Domain

A network based on a Domain provides centralized administration of the entire network from a single computer which is called a server. A Domain provides single user login from any computer connected to that network within the network perimeter. Users are allowed (or restricted) to access resources depending upon the permissions they have.

To join a Domain, you will be required to have the following information:
    To join a Domain, you must meet the following requirements:
    • Domain Controller must be running Windows Server 2003 or later.
    • Only a Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, or Education edition PC can join a domain.
    This tutorial will show you how to join a Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, or Education PC to a local Active Directory Domain.

The Family feature will no longer be available in Windows 10 after you join a domain.

You must be signed in to an administrator account on your Windows 10 PC to join a domain.

Contents

EXAMPLE: Sign in to Domain on Windows 10 PC

When you join a domain, your might be required to change your password on first sign in.

Join Windows 10 PC to a Domain [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Join PC to a Domain from Settings
    1 If you haven't already, you will need to change the preferred DNS server address (ex: "192.168.1.150") of your Windows 10 PC to be the same as the domain's. (see screenshots below)

2 If you haven't already, you will need to disable IPv6 for the network adapter on your Windows 10 PC. (see screenshot below)

3 Open Settings, and click/tap on the Accounts icon.

4 Click/tap on Access work or school on the left side, and click/tap on the Connect button on the right side. (see screenshot below)

5 Click/tap on the Join this device to a local Active Directory domain link at the bottom. (see screenshot below)

6 Type the domain name (ex: "ten.forums") of the domain you want to join, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

Example of domain name from server.

7 Type the user name (ex: "L: [email protected]") and password for your domain account, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

Example of domain user account from server.

8 Click/tap on Skip. (see screenshot below)

9 Click/tap on Restart now. After you restart, your PC will be joined to the domain (ex: "ten.forums"). (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Join PC to a Domain from System Properties
    1 If you haven't already, you will need to change the preferred DNS server address (ex: "192.168.1.150") of your Windows 10 PC to be the same as the domain's. (see screenshots below)

2 If you haven't already, you will need to disable IPv6 for the network adapter on your Windows 10 PC. (see screenshot below)

3 Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the System icon.

4 Click/tap on either the Advanced system settings link on the left side or the Change settings link on the right side. (see screenshot below)

5 Click/tap on the Change button in the Computer Name tab. (see screenshot below)

6 Select (dot) Domain, type the domain name (ex: "ten.forums") of the domain you want to join, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

Example of domain name from server.

7 Type the domain\user name (ex: "TEN\Brink") and password for your domain account, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

8 Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

9 Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

10 Click/tap on Close. (see screenshot below)

11 Click/tap on Restart Now. After you restart, your PC will be joined to the domain (ex: "ten.forums"). (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] To Join PC to a Domain from PowerShell
    To see more information and usage options for the Add-Computer command, see: Add-Computer - Microsoft Windows IT Center

3 Open an elevated PowerShell.

4 Type the command below into the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    Add-Computer -Domain "Domain Name" -Credential "Domain User Name" -Force

Substitute Domain Name in the command above with the actual domain name (ex: "ten.forums") you want to join.

Substitute Domain User Name in the command above with the actual name (ex: "Brink") of your domain user account.

For example: Add-Computer -Domain "ten.forums" -Credential "Brink" -Force

5 Enter the password for your domain account (ex: "Brink"), and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

6 Restart the computer. After you restart, your PC will be joined to the domain (ex: "ten.forums").

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

2. Join domain option missing

You need to be logged on as a local administrator

Contact the domain administrator for specifics

Join a Windows 10 PC or Device to a Domain. On the Windows 10 PC go to then click Join a domain. Enter the Domain name and click Next. You should have the correct domain info, but if not, contact your Network Administrator. Enter account
    information which is used to authenticate on the Domain then click OK.

How to Join a Windows 10 PC to
    a Domain -
    groovyPost

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jul 28, 2017
  3. Re-join the domain after upgrade

There is no need to leave the domain, you can perform the upgrade (with Admin privileges).

You can also leave the domain, upgrade with a local account, then join the domain again.

Resources:

Andre Da Costa, Jul 28, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Thank you Kari. *Smile

Brink, Jul 28, 2017
  5. swarfega Win User
    I have a domain and a home network, would there be any advantage in joining the two together?

swarfega, Jul 28, 2017
  6. Kari Win User
    Do you have a local server with domain controller set up?

7. swarfega Win User
    No, the only servery type thing I have is a NAS.

swarfega, Jul 28, 2017
  8. Kari Win User

As so often in computing, one word or expression can mean different things depending on context. Word Domain does not make any exception, it can mean totally different things.

I assume that when you mentioned you having a domain, you meant a domain as a website domain like Web Server's Default Page.

Domain in the sense used in this tutorial means a local domain, a completely different thing. For that you need a machine running Windows Server operating system, and set up a local domain controller on that server. See this tutorial: Windows Server 2016 - Setup Local Domain Controller Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

9. swarfega Win User
    Ah, thanks for clearing that up. You lean every day!

swarfega, Jul 28, 2017
  10. rseiler Win User
    Speaking just of Option 1, and the pic in #5, has the entire bottom section ("Alternate actions") been removed in RS4 (using Enterprise 17093 at the moment), or is it just me? If it has, do you know where they've hidden local domain join now? I'm just curious where it might be, since the older UI--which is still there--could disappear at any time.

rseiler, Feb 11, 2018
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello @rseiler, *Smile

The steps are still the same for me in a Windows 10 Pro build 17093 installation. I'm not sure about in an Enterprise edition yet though.

Brink, Feb 11, 2018
  12. Kari Win User
    I'm on 17093, too, although PRO edition and the option is still there exactly as shown in tutorial:

13. rseiler Win User

Interesting. I do see it on 16299.214 Ent, but not the latest Ent Insider. Hmmm, I wonder if there's some variable that would cause it not to show up?

rseiler, Feb 11, 2018
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    @rseiler,

I just finished clean installing Windows 10 Enterprise build 17093 in a VM using a local account, and it still has the same steps in the tutorial for me.

Is your PC already joined to a domain?

Brink, Feb 11, 2018
  15. Kari Win User
    You were faster in installing Enterprise! I did the same, can corfirm domain join still being there.

Thema:

1. Join Windows 10 PC to a Domain - Similar Threads - Join Domain

2. Desktop icons when signing into multiple domain joined computers with folder redirection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icons when signing into multiple domain joined computers with folder redirection: we have multiple computers joined to a windows server domain with desktop redirection setup. However, not every computer has the same software installed and although each person has their own dedicated computer to use sometimes they need to sign into another computer and if...
  3. Desktop icons when signing into multiple domain joined computers with folder redirection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop icons when signing into multiple domain joined computers with folder redirection: we have multiple computers joined to a windows server domain with desktop redirection setup. However, not every computer has the same software installed and although each person has their own dedicated computer to use sometimes they need to sign into another computer and if...
  4. Domain-joining Windows 10/11 Education

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Domain-joining Windows 10/11 Education: Hi, I'd like to confirm if Windows 10/11 Education edition supports on-premise Active Directory domain-joining? I will really appreciate if you could share some Microsoft articles about it.Thank you,Joven...
  5. Domain-joining Windows 10/11 Education

Domain-joining Windows 10/11 Education: Hi, I'd like to confirm if Windows 10/11 Education edition supports on-premise Active Directory domain-joining? I will really appreciate if you could share some Microsoft articles about it.Thank you,Joven...
  6. Keyboard Stops Working After Joining Domain - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard Stops Working After Joining Domain - Windows 10: So we have a weird issue with one of our HP laptops - running Windows 10 Version 22H2 OS Build 19045.3803, I have actually just reinstalled Windows as I am really stumped with this issue.The user has been experiencing an issue where the keyboard randomly stops working some...
  7. Keyboard Stops Working After Joining Domain - Windows 10

Keyboard Stops Working After Joining Domain - Windows 10: So we have a weird issue with one of our HP laptops - running Windows 10 Version 22H2 OS Build 19045.3803, I have actually just reinstalled Windows as I am really stumped with this issue.The user has been experiencing an issue where the keyboard randomly stops working some...
  8. Keyboard Stops Working After Joining Domain - Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Unable to join client machine to domain. Active Directory environment created in Azure.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to join client machine to domain. Active Directory environment created in Azure.: Context: I'm running an active directory environment using Microsoft Azure. I have 3 VMs, 2 of which are domain controllers running 2019 Windows Server datacenter with the 3rd VMclient machine running Windows 10 Pro.All of the VMs have static IPs and when created, were added...
  10. Unable to join client machine to domain. Active Directory environment created in Azure.

Unable to join client machine to domain. Active Directory environment created in Azure.: Context: I'm running an active directory environment using Microsoft Azure. I have 3 VMs, 2 of which are domain controllers running 2019 Windows Server datacenter with the 3rd VMclient machine running Windows 10 Pro.All of the VMs have static IPs and when created, were added...