Windows 10: Jump List Items not Opening

Discus and support Jump List Items not Opening in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Is anyone having the issue where you open your jump list in File Explorer and then click on something like your Videos or Downloads Folder to have the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by eternalrz, Aug 11, 2015.

1. eternalrz Win User

Jump List Items not Opening

Is anyone having the issue where you open your jump list in File Explorer and then click on something like your Videos or Downloads Folder to have the jump list close like normal, but then nothing open? I also noticed that when I right click on the start button, I can't get any of the options on the menu to launch either. Any help would be great.

:)

eternalrz, Aug 11, 2015

2. how to keep W7 start menu pinned items when upgrading to W10

Hi,
    Sorry for the late reply.

Answer for your question, “Windows 7 ability to pin recent opened items in jump lists is the fastest way to access your most used stuff, is this feature discontinued in W10?” “YES”

You have an option to pin the recent opened items in the jump lists. Windows 10 allows you to display the recent items starting from number 0 to 60. You can choose any number as per your preference and then you will be able to see that number of recent
    items on your Jump Lists. To quickly open any program, you can also use Quick Access on Windows 10.

It shows you the list of lately and repeatedly opened, mostly visited, tasks or pinned items of any pinned program or currently active program on the Taskbar. When you make a right click on any pinned item on the Taskbar or on any running program, you can
    see a list of certain items. Those items are different for files, folders, and websites. The pinned and recent items are visible in case of folders. You are also provided with the facility to pin the recent items. And the Jump Lists of file show you the recently
    used file along with an option to pin them to the taskbar. But the websites have different sections like most visited, recently closed, and tasks.

Note: The number of Jump Lists on windows 10 is 10 by default.

If you are facing issue with jump list/ or you want to have more than 10 jump list to be view on windows 10 after upgrading, I suggest you to follow the steps below to change the settings.
    How to Show Jump Lists on Start and Taskbar in Windows 10

1. Enter into the Settings app from the polished Start Menu.

2. Upon the emergence of the Settings app, click Personalization symbol.

3. Go to the last option on the left column and click Start.

4. The Start on the right pane showcases four option. Read the last one, Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or Taskbar.

5. To Show Jump Lists on Start and Taskbar in Windows 10, toggle it to On.

6. Now, right click on any opened program on Taskbar and you can see the Jump Lists.

7. On Start Menu, click on the arrow next to the program and its displays you the Jump Lists.

8. If you prefer not to see the Jump Lists, toggle it to off in the Start of Personalization category of Settings app.

9. Execute a right click on a program on Taskbar and you can no more see the Jump Lists items.

10. And have the option of changing the Jump lists ON or OFF.

Hope this information is more helpful. Please do let us know if

you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Vidyashree_C, Aug 11, 2015
  3. noost Win User
    SECOND WINDOWS 10 UPGRADE!!?

Yes I think it was the 1511 update because I have the same numbers. Version 1511, Build 10586.36.

But now the system does not work properly anymore. For instance, the recent opened items in the jump list on the task bar. I have the option of showing recent opened items switched to
    off but they are still showing in the jump list. And when I go back to the settings to switch the option on and then off again, the recent opened items disappear...

noost, Aug 11, 2015
  4. jimmytiel Win User

I had this, I lost jump lists and lost right click on task bar items, drove me nuts until google said look in task manager, kill explorer and let it restart. I saw 2 instances of windows explorer running.. killed them..jump lists ok now

jimmytiel, Aug 11, 2015
  5. eternalrz Win User
    I just tried that, I only have one instance of task manager running, but I went ahead and restarted it anyways. I'm guessing that this may have something to do with the corrupted files that sfc /scannow found and can't replace as well as dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restore-health returning an error 0x800f081f.

eternalrz, Aug 11, 2015
  6. ayryq Win User
    I have the same problem, on two computers (a laptop upgraded from 8.1, and a desktop upgraded from a clean install of insider beta builds). Only on File Explorer (all other jump lists work fine). Also, in my case, jump-list links to computers including networked computers work fine. So "This PC" and \\someOtherPC both work, but "Videos" and "\\someOtherPC\sharedFolder" both don't work. They dismiss the jump list without actually opening anything. Same goes for "frequent" items.

So far you're the only other person on the whole internet with the same problem. I reported it as a bug every time I got a new beta build, and haven't seen it reported anywhere else at all.

ayryq, Aug 11, 2015
  7. eternalrz Win User
    Yeah, I talked to Microsoft about this one and they have no idea either. I think it might have something to do with the upgrade. I also tried upgrading Windows 10 to Windows 10 to avoid program loss, and it still didn't correct the issue.

eternalrz, Aug 12, 2015
  8. eternalrz Win User

Oh and clicking on any of the right click menu items when I right click on the start button doesn't do anything either.

eternalrz, Aug 12, 2015
  9. tcman50 Win User
    Same issue here, when I click on a item in the file explorer (start menu) jump list..nothing happens.

This is quite annoying *Confused

TC

tcman50, Aug 12, 2015
  10. eternalrz Win User
    I've noticed that upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 10 results in sfc /scannow showing corrupted files that it can't repair. I'm current;y restarting windows via the special boot menu (hold shift while clicking "restart") to see if that repairs it (choose to wipe only the drive that Windows is installed on, otherwise you'll get a blue screen with a boot device access error) and we'll see what happens from that point. I'll keep you all updated.

eternalrz, Aug 13, 2015
  11. eternalrz Win User
    I've now noticed that sfc /scannow shows that I have corrupted files even after resetting Windows 10. Seems a little strange that this would happen after a fresh install. A technical support agent made some repair to my Windows Update registry (issue: Service registration is missing or corrupt) and I am once again running an sfc /scannow to see if this fixes it.

eternalrz, Aug 13, 2015
  12. Gates007 Win User
    Actually it happens to me too 3 times! I have to reset the whole OS to get it functional. But as I am reinstalling apps, something breaks. I was very careful to install a few apps and create a restore point but no avail. Doing system restore does NOT help. However, the admin account jumplist work so I am at a lost! Any help would be appreciated!

Gates007, Aug 14, 2015
  13. eternalrz Win User

I managed to install Windows 10 successfully and run sfc /scannow with no corrupted files. I've set up restore points after each change to the system and will be monitoring it closely. It would appear that something went wrong in the upgrade procedure from Windows 7 to 10 that resulted in a corrupted OS.

eternalrz, Aug 14, 2015
  14. ayryq Win User
    I just solved this on my 2 computers by uninstalling WinCDEmu. Do you have this software?

ayryq, Aug 22, 2015
  15. eternalrz Win User
    Nope, WinCDEmu is not installed on my systems. I already fixed the problem by upgrading and doing a fresh install along the way. I've done that before though, so I don't know what made a difference this time.

eternalrz, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Jump List Items not Opening - Similar Threads - Jump List Items

2. Pin Files to Jump List on Taskbar Items by Dragging?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pin Files to Jump List on Taskbar Items by Dragging?: I just got a new Windows 11 laptop. With Windows 10, I was able to drag folders onto icons on taskbar for programs that could open them--for instance, I could drag PDF files onto the icon for Acrobat PDF DC Reader, and make a jump list. So far with Windows 10, I have only...
  3. Jump List Populates Old Items

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Jump List Populates Old Items: Hi,When I clear my jump list after a short time it repopulates old items.This makes it useless to me is there any fix?thanks,Nick. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/jump-list-populates-old-items/907c4554-84b3-49a9-8ac7-997ed8937a0b
  4. Jump List Populates Old Items

Jump List Populates Old Items: Hi,When I clear my jump list after a short time it repopulates old items.This makes it useless to me is there any fix?thanks,Nick. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/jump-list-populates-old-items/907c4554-84b3-49a9-8ac7-997ed8937a0b
  5. Change "Open with" list items

Change "Open with" list items: Hi! I have difficulties changing open with menu items. My current open with menu looks like that: My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.zip\OpenWith List looks like that: Why doesnt windows respect My...
  6. Jump list File Explorer items not opening program

in Windows 10 Support
    Jump list File Explorer items not opening program: Hi, thanks for the welcome note. I have for many months been suffering from the Jump list items on File Explorer not opening the program or item- after clicking the jump list item nothing happens. However if I right click on the jump list item then the mini menu does say Open...
  7. Recently opened items not appearing in jump lists

in Windows 10 Support
    Recently opened items not appearing in jump lists: The recently-opened items are not appearing in start menu jump lists despite the correct setting (see sceenshot). Any advice? Thanks. [img] 42013
  8. Increase Number of Items in Jump Lists

in Windows 10 Support
    Increase Number of Items in Jump Lists: As title says I'm wanting to know if there's a way to increase the amount of items can be stuffed into a taskbar jumplist. My reason is, I've used the jumplist feature in Windows 7 for Steam to give quicker access to some of the options you can only access by...
  9. Rearrange Pinned Items On Jump Lists in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Rearrange Pinned Items On Jump Lists in Windows 10: How to: Rearrange Pinned Items On Jump Lists in Windows 10 How to Rearrange Pinned Items On Jump Lists in Windows 10 [img] Information When you right click or press and hold on an app on the taskbar or Start menu, it will open the app's jump list. Jump Lists is a...
  10. Pin or Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Pin or Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10: How to: Pin or Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10 How to Pin or Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10 [img] Information When you right click or press and hold on an app on the taskbar or Start menu, it will open the app's jump list. Jump Lists is a feature...