Windows 10: junction point/symbolic link query : multiple DOCUMENTS folders

Discus and support junction point/symbolic link query : multiple DOCUMENTS folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; hi my documents folder is on e: as c: is a ssd with limited space. somehow i managed to end up with three 'documents' folders in explorer [actually... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gabrielsmit, Sep 17, 2015.

1. junction point/symbolic link query : multiple DOCUMENTS folders

hi
    my documents folder is on e: as c: is a ssd with limited space.
    somehow i managed to end up with three 'documents' folders in explorer [actually dopus] of which two contain a few folders and the third one many folders, the latter is my real documents folder.
    the os will not allow me to rename the redundant 'documents' folders and so it often happens that i pick the wrong one.
    dopus does indicate the folder size, but that takes some time...
    i know this must be a junction issue but am rather unwilling to play around with it - it might be that i have screwed it by unwittingly playing around with it in the 1st place *Confused
    here is a screenshot of the situation

junction point/symbolic link query : multiple DOCUMENTS folders [​IMG]

any help to sort this out will be highly appreciated
    regards
    in Christ
    gabriel

:)

gabrielsmit, Sep 17, 2015
  2. alex80386 Win User

How to install ovi suite to D drive?

Does your operating system support NTFS junction points or NTFS symbolic links?

NTFS junction point - Wikipedia

If it does, then you can create D:\programs\nokia

Then move all files under C:\program files\nokia to D:\programs\nokia

Then under C:\program files create NTFS junction point (or symbolic link).

This NTFS junction point should be called Nokia and point to new folder D:\programs\nokia

Remember to follow the advice in the wiki link regarding protecting junction points using NTFS ACLs.

Once the new folder and NTFS junction point is created, when you install software to C:\program files\nokia the files get written to D:\programs\nokia

alex80386, Sep 17, 2015
  3. How do I overcome all this file permission in Windows 10?? I've done everything I know to do.

"My Documents" is a Junction Point, NOT a folder. Junction points are there purely to allow legacy and badly-written programs to use the new (since Windows Vista) folder structure.

The Folder for your Documents is, err.....Documents, not "My" Documents.

Gordon B-P, Sep 17, 2015
  4. junction point/symbolic link query : multiple DOCUMENTS folders

To get a better idea of what's on E:, launch a Command prompt
    type:
    cd e:\
    e:
    dir /a > %Temp%\eDirList.txt
    exit

Then attach %Temp%\eDirList.txt to a new post
    %Temp% is just an environment variable that points to your User's Temp folder, you can use the %Temp% string as a shortcut to that folder.

What does the location tab (middle properties screen shot) say about the reference - don't change anything, just look and report back - thanks.

Slartybart, Sep 17, 2015
  5. tx slartybart
    please see attached
    *Smile

6. Thanks,

There are only two folders that I can see that seem to be related part of the issue.

15-Sep-15 18:41 <DIR> Documents
    30-Aug-15 20:57 <DIR> DocumentsVERKEERD
    Documents is definitely the reference to your User folder Documents, per the location screen shot.

DocumentsVERKEERD might be referenced as Documents either in a desktop.ini file or a registry namespace.

I have no idea what the third Documents folder is or how it might be referenced. This will take some investigation by you.

Look in the desktop.ini files in E:\ and the two documents folders that do not have a Location tab.
    Again, don't change anything, just look.
    You probably have to change your Folder options to see the hidden files.

If any .ini file has a reference to Documents under the [LocalizedFileNames] section - please post the text & the folder you found the .ini (this might be difficult since it might simply be Documents and that doesn't help very much. look at the details tab of the folder, it might give you more information about the real folder name).

Please also do a dir /aL /s on your User folder to list all of the reparse points (junctions)
    You can redirect that toe a text file to make it easier for both of us.
    cd %UserProfile%
    dir /aL /s > %Temp%\userJuncs.txt

then all you have to do is attach userJuncs.txt in %Temp% as you did before with TempeDirList.txt

This might take a while to figure out what those extra document folders are since Windows has a number of mechanisms to change the display name of a folder. One step, then another *Smile

It might be wise to copy anything in the other Documents folders to your real one before taking any action to correct the situation.
    Do NOT copy Desktop.ini though - that might confuse things - just copy your data files if there are any in those folders.

Slartybart, Sep 17, 2015
  7. i'll come back in the morning, have to catch some zzzzzzs now...*Sleepy

8. junction point/symbolic link query : multiple DOCUMENTS folders

Ok, I'll be out-of-town over the weekend. Other members might stop by to help.

Do what you can with what I provided and I'll check in on Tuesday. his doesn't seem to be a critical issue, annoying yes, but it's not breaking anything.

Have a good sleep and a good weekend.

Slartybart, Sep 17, 2015
  9. you're right slartybart, this is not a critical issue but a nuisance as well as an indication that my file system setup and referencing needs cleaning up.
    in any case, trusting your weekend away went as planned or better, herewith the data as requested, see the attached userjuncs.txt file.
    here i have to mention that i have detected many desktop.ini files on my c: , see screenshots.
    as well as on e:, see image.
    the highlighted files on e: contain the following, respectively:
    [.ShellClassInfo]
    LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\windows.storage.dll,-21770
    IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-112
    IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll
    IconIndex=-235

[.ShellClassInfo]
    LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21770
    IconIndex=-235

and

[.ShellClassInfo]
    LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21770
    IconIndex=-235

enclosed is desktop ini with documents.txt file with all config.ini files containing 'documents' in [LocalizedFileNames] - none of these are on e:.

the junctions which have been made as indicated in the attached junctions txt were for picasa as it tries to dump huge data files on c:, the method i used i got hold of somewhere on this forum.

i had problems installing win10 from win7 and leftovers of win7 are still on my f: [c: contains my data, e: is my main drive and i am still busy searching f: for anything of value before reformatting it].

gabrielsmit, Sep 18, 2015
  10. Jumbo, gabriel

We had a great time with the grandchildren, but decided to make it a day trip. We'll spend the rest of our time doing things more local to our home. I'll take a look at what your posted after we return our children's children *Smile

Bill

Slartybart, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

junction point/symbolic link query : multiple DOCUMENTS folders

1. junction point/symbolic link query : multiple DOCUMENTS folders - Similar Threads - junction point symbolic

2. Symbolic links/Folder links

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Symbolic links/Folder links: Apologies for the long introcution first; I have read a number of questions and answers relating to symbolic links with interest, and have noted that del, rmdir mklink, file explorer are all dangerous tools to use in order to remove a symbolic link. I had a PC with several...
  3. Symbolic links/Folder links

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Symbolic links/Folder links: Apologies for the long introcution first; I have read a number of questions and answers relating to symbolic links with interest, and have noted that del, rmdir mklink, file explorer are all dangerous tools to use in order to remove a symbolic link. I had a PC with several...
  4. Symbolic links/Folder links

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How do I mass delete symbolic links or directory junctions in a folder without deleting the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I mass delete symbolic links or directory junctions in a folder without deleting the...: How do I mass delete symbolic links in a folder without deleting the folder itself, or any other file or folder?How do I mass delete symbolic links or directory junctions in a folder without deleting the folder itself, or any other file or folder?...
  6. Chrome Appcrash when using symbolic link or junction for User Data

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome Appcrash when using symbolic link or junction for User Data: Greetings, See below a copy of a post on Google Chrome Support Forum. No reply received and closed now. Two simple questions : a. Does anyone else observe this problem when pointing Chrome User Data to another drive. b. Any suggestion on how to tackle this problem....
  7. KB4512508 deletes user made junctions and symbolic links

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    KB4512508 deletes user made junctions and symbolic links: My system was normal today when I booted it up. but after KB4512508 installed it self, before even rebooting the system, all my symbolic links and junctions got deleted. the did not get broken, they got deleted. the endpoint for the junction no longer exist. and the desktop...
  8. Symbolic links inside linked folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Symbolic links inside linked folder: Hi I'm creating symbolic links of one folder (Missions folder) to server so that the server can load the missions from the linked folder and this works. But the problem is that when I create symbolic links inside the sub folders (of Missions folder) then the server fails to...
  9. Hard link directory junctions in User folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Hard link directory junctions in User folder: So, I am looking for an easy way to redirect Documents, Downloads, Music and Pictures in the user folder to a data drive. I don't want anything permanent that is going to interfere with the Creator's update coming up. Does anyone know if there any ill affects to deleting the...
  10. Symbolic link (Junction/s), how-to mklink? Please help with Junction?

in Windows 10 Support
    Symbolic link (Junction/s), how-to mklink? Please help with Junction?: Hi all, having been a member at Seven then Ten forums for a fair while I'm hoping to find a straight answer here..? Apologies in advance if this is too verbose. Windows 10 system booting from (UEFI) NVME with 2xSSDs + 2 MHDDs for storage... An application (Xperia...