Windows 10: Just a quick query

Discus and support Just a quick query in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I came across this article in HTG and am wondering if Ubuntu or any other Linux OS system can be run on a) a 10 system dual boot b) can it be installed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ICIT2LOL, Apr 12, 2016.

1. ICIT2LOL Win User

Just a quick query

I came across this article in HTG and am wondering if Ubuntu or any other Linux OS system can be run on a) a 10 system dual boot b) can it be installed on hardware that is specifically made to be only supporting 10 (and any future system) How to Install and Use the Linux Bash Shell on Windows 10

If the latter can be done does Microsoft have an access to data that may be run on the Linux system by virtue of the hardware being 10 biased??

:)

ICIT2LOL, Apr 12, 2016
  2. mccbleue Win User

Quick Nokia 6120 query

Is your phone operator branded? Some networks that support a second line on their SIMs have the # key to switch lines instead of profiles in their software versions.

Unfortunately, the manuals published by Nokia are standard and the networks never seldom publish errata for their brended models outlining the differences.

mccbleue, Apr 12, 2016
  3. Quick Nokia 6120 query

Yes it is T Mobile branded.

I understand what you are saying, Thanks.

It does switch from UMTS and GSM networks on its own too.

Maybe you're right and this function deosn't work, but I ccan select a different profile easily enough by pressing the on/off button once ans selecting a new one from there.

Many Thanks.

davepw---01, Apr 12, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Just a quick query

dalchina, Apr 12, 2016
  5. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Ok so I can dual boot Linux all well and good but as I am still not keen on 10 it still leaves me wondering if the manufacturers of hardware ie Intel will let one install Linux without having 10 on board as I have issues both with the interface and the other stuff that Microsoft are not giving the consumer the right to do ie what updates can or not be installed for example.

ICIT2LOL, Apr 12, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    It is possible to
    - disable updates altogether
    - hide / disable specific updates
    albeit not in a manner directly supported from the GUI.

How to Uninstall and Block Updates and Drivers on Windows 10
    and a tutorial on this forum - search for 'hide updates' or similar.

MS now runs with cumulative updates + say 3 or 4 others- not 100s as in Win 7.

Quite understand you could have issues with the GUI - from the Start menu to appearance, Settings vs Control panel... consistency or its lack of..

dalchina, Apr 12, 2016
  7. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Ok I really have not kept up to date with 10 ie updates stuff and I know I can run it in Classic Shell my concerns over you will have it and you will like it from not only Microsoft but the other manufacturers that will not support any "lesser" forms of Windows has me concern that if I build another desktop that the components will not support Linux based systems if I should want just that - no 10 attached.

ICIT2LOL, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Just a quick query

1. Just a quick query - Similar Threads - quick query

2. Quick Access in Windows Explorer query

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Quick Access in Windows Explorer query: Hi guys, Hopefully an easy one, although I couldn't find the answer online anywhere at all...I have added a few folders to my Quick Access, but go to attach an email or upload a document, as soon as the Window opens to locate the document, the bar on the left is scrolled all...
  3. Quick Access in Windows Explorer query

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Quick Access in Windows Explorer query: Hi guys, Hopefully an easy one, although I couldn't find the answer online anywhere at all...I have added a few folders to my Quick Access, but go to attach an email or upload a document, as soon as the Window opens to locate the document, the bar on the left is scrolled all...
  4. Quick Access in Windows Explorer query

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File explorer and quick access query

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer and quick access query: Hi, I am a Windows 10 user with all updates up-to-date. Recently, my File explorer icons look like a page with the corner turned over - no normal file image and at the same time the quick access search never finishes?...
  6. A quick query re updatin6 to Windows 10 2004

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    A quick query re updatin6 to Windows 10 2004: Windows 10 Pro - Windows Version Number: 1909 (OS Build 18363.836) A pretty new user of Windows 10 and I've held back on updating to version 2004 for the moment by deferring Feature Updates for a few weeks in WIndows Update / Advanced Options. I now get this message in...
  7. A quick query

in Windows 10 Customization
    A quick query: In the Control Panel > Colour Management it has settings for gamma brightness etc etc and the font stuff too. Now what i would like to know is why when I set mine to what I find comfortable and easy to read the next time I start the machine those settings have gone back to...
  8. A quick query

in Browsers and Email
    A quick query: Have obviously touched something but heck knows what see pic how can I revert the darn windows please. 92873
  9. Quick query

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Quick query: I have a friend who has a very low monthly broadband download limit and is not able to download large updates like the current Creator for example without chewing through her allowance in no time flat. Now her brother has a superlative and very large download capability...
  10. Quick query

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick query: I just found this article How to Disable SMBv1 and Protect Your Windows PC From Attack and checked my settings and he box is still ticked so should I uncheck that box for file sharing?? 92087