Windows 10: Just How Many Cores, for gaming?

Discus and support Just How Many Cores, for gaming? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; In this months Maximum PC magazine they ran an article which calls into question whether the old adage that a gaming PC needs a Core i5 minimum. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by pparks1, Mar 2, 2017.

1. pparks1 Win User

Just How Many Cores, for gaming?

In this months Maximum PC magazine they ran an article which calls into question whether the old adage that a gaming PC needs a Core i5 minimum. The theory has been that you need at least 4 cores and anything less powerful and you will be in a world of hurt as far as frame rates are concerned.

So, they built a box with a lowly Intel Pentium G4600 which can be had for under $90. They coupled it with 16GB of Crucial Tactical RAM, and a 6GB GeForce 1060. They compared that CPU, with an i3-7300, an i5-7600k and an i7-7700k.

What they discovered was that from the $80 Intel chip to the $350 chip there was absolutely no difference in the games at all. Frame rates were all identical across the board in all benchmarks they ran.

So there you have it. If you insist on a Core i7 for superior gaming performance on your rig you might be throwing away good money.

:)

pparks1, Mar 2, 2017

2. Windows 10 Pro 32-bit to 64-bit but, I have a LOT of installed apps I don't want to lose!

I have a well established Windows 10 Pro PC that I just did a hardware update on, Z270 Intel chipset Core i7 7700k Processor on an ASUS Z270-A Prime Mobo.

The drives were removed from the old Core i5 machine and successfully ported to the new Core i7 hardware, and is happily running.

But, I made a mistake many years ago and installed a 32-bit version of Win10Pro. I now realize that I need to migrate to Win10Pro 64-bit, the question is how to avoid reloading the many applications I have now? A clean install of 64-bit code would be easy
    but, then I would have to reload the apps.

Need some good advice as to how to do this?

MarshallJenkinsSE, Mar 2, 2017
  3. Im Amazed at just how many new laptop get sent back to amazon best buy ect because of the gaming 128gb ssd or 256ssd!

Bill Gates is in my network linkedin and i was going to just buy a new apple , after going through An ROG Asus 17.3 gl752vw-dh74 intel i-7 6700hq 2.6ghz 16gb of ram Nvidia Geforce Gtx 960M. 1tb hdd +128gb . now 2nd Rog Asus had a bigger 256ssd and better
    everything! Nov! Then Jan 15th 2018 order New Predator From factory! Somehow they got in remotely because C:// was now ACER C:// . got an email saying get a couple of 16gb sandisk ubs 3.0 . Not much help as he said it locks up on you in pinterest after 20mins
    .and ccclear shut it all down ,i restart and just fine again ! Now all 3 have done this! Bills always getting me to read books out of the Microsoft store ! I found everything i need for windows 10 . How it really should be set uip in the BIOS step by step
    with all the old Microsoft software from you other laptop you had on your network uninstalled before you start. most labeled old software! One book MY BOOK for WINDOWS !0 COMPUTERS FOR SENIORS <IT not bad! The Other I cant remember but its the same guy and
    its his 1st edition and is very good good luck

luckysaint, Mar 2, 2017
  4. Just How Many Cores, for gaming?

There are many more factors to why people reccommend quad-cores over dual-cores with HT.

In Editing, more cores matter so comparing a mere Pentium to an i5 makes a huge difference but makes a small difference when comparing the Pentium to an i3.

RoasterMen, Mar 3, 2017
  5. CountMike New Member
    Do they mention BF1 ???? and other multi threaded games ??? How about quality of gaming on smaller number of cores ?

CountMike, Mar 3, 2017
  6. That is the same like Intel vs AMD, you will not gain more framerate running more powerful processor.
    It all comes down to, what GPU you have and of course, how the game take advantage of the processor.

I have recently got a new PC and FX4100, people say, that it is obsolete and can not handle anything. I have played Hitman and Deus Ex on Ultra without a problem. It is all about what you need, what games and what resolution is being used. If you plan to play games on 6 UHD monitors, then you definitely need Intel i7. *Smile

Gaming PCs and CPUs - Do you need a high end processor?? - YouTube

TairikuOkami, Mar 3, 2017
  7. CountMike New Member
    There still has to be some balance, even best and most powerful GPU can't reach it's potential on a lousy CPU. If it could, all game machines would still be running single core processors. Processors also have instructions used by games.

CountMike, Mar 3, 2017
  8. Just How Many Cores, for gaming?

Yes, but not everyone needs 200 FPS, so paying money just to feel good seems like a waste to me.
    The money could be used elsewhere, buy more RAM, better GPU, it is all about choices of course.

TairikuOkami, Mar 3, 2017
  9. - there a many programs out there that benefit from multi-core CPU's
    - Corel's art suites, for example, and Reason for music composition
    - these programs will not only make use of multi-core tech, but also off-load into GFX ram, which runs at greatly accelerated speeds..

- if you're talking gaming only, a balanced system is the aim..
    - make sure that all the various components run well together..
    - get a quality mobo and build from there..

BugMeister, Mar 3, 2017
  10. If someone's playing games on Intel HD or APU Radeon, they should consider buying quad-cores and make sure they buy a minimum of 8GB of RAM in Dual-Channel mode (Integrated Graphics benefit from Dual-Channel RAM).

I've noticed this when I'm playing CS:GO on 1280x720 and put everything on low, the processor is heavily taxed (on single thread). But when I start putting graphical settings up a bit, Frames seem to increase and the game seems to be more stable.

RoasterMen, Mar 5, 2017
  11. This old chestnut.

Real cores will always be beneficial over of HT .

It all depends on the enginge. Older engines still maximise single core use. Newer engines are better at spreading the load. Odd balls take advantage of HT but long story short - native quad core over dual core-HT any day.

Quads with HT for gaming are only a benefit from a minor amount of engines. quad+ with HT see more benefit from 'all rounder' tasking.

If on budget go for quad-no HT. Spend a bit more for quad+ HT and forget about it.

Certain Engines are only slowly properly utilizing more than 4 native cores.

SmartEyeball, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Just How Many Cores, for gaming?

1. Just How Many Cores, for gaming? - Similar Threads - Many Cores gaming

2. How many cores does Windows 11 Pro for Workstations support?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How many cores does Windows 11 Pro for Workstations support?: Hello everybody,I can find the CPU, Core and RAM limit for Windows 11 Pro but I cant find this information for the Workstation version.Windows 11 Pro2TB RAM limit.Supports two CPUs.128 core limit.Workstation?Best regards and thanks in advance,-JW...
  3. How many cores does Windows 11 Pro for Workstations support?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How many cores does Windows 11 Pro for Workstations support?: Hello everybody,I can find the CPU, Core and RAM limit for Windows 11 Pro but I cant find this information for the Workstation version.Windows 11 Pro2TB RAM limit.Supports two CPUs.128 core limit.Workstation?Best regards and thanks in advance,-JW...
  4. How many core licenses needed for a 10core processor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How many core licenses needed for a 10core processor: I have a server computer with a Intel Xeon w-1290p server processor & was looking to buy windows 2019 server os. However, i am unclear how many core licenses would be needed for my 10 core / 20 thread processor. Any help with this would be appreciated. ps: is a server os...
  5. How many core licenses needed for a 10core processor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How many core licenses needed for a 10core processor: I have a server computer with a Intel Xeon w-1290p server processor & was looking to buy windows 2019 server os. However, i am unclear how many core licenses would be needed for my 10 core / 20 thread processor. Any help with this would be appreciated. ps: is a server os...
  6. How many core licenses needed for a 10core processor

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. What are CPU cores? How many CPU cores do I need?

in Windows 10 News
    What are CPU cores? How many CPU cores do I need?: CPU (Central Processing Unit) is the most important part of a computer. All the calculations needed to run a particular task or application on a computer are processed by the CPU. That’s why it is also called the brain of the computer. Basically, a CPU is of the following two...
  8. Older Steam game CTD on launch due to CPU having too many cores.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Older Steam game CTD on launch due to CPU having too many cores.: I'm trying to get Child of Light to run without having to limit my cores through MSCONFIG.EXE. The game will simply CTD upon launch if there are more than 16 logical cores available. Is there a way to set processor affinity for the game before it launches?...
  9. How many virtual cores are needed to be assigned to a VM?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    How many virtual cores are needed to be assigned to a VM?: I have Windows 10 running in a VM and if I attempt to assign more than 1 virtual core to the VM I get a "multiprocessor configuration not supported" error when Windows starts up. Here's this history: The host was an AMD Phenom II X3 720 APU running on an ASUS M5A78L-M...
  10. How to replace powershell with powershell core? I just installed powershell core and i want...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to replace powershell with powershell core? I just installed powershell core and i want...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Rediikid [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e7p0ey/how_to_replace_powershell_with_powershell_core_i/