Windows 10: Just istalled W10 on desktop - what a kerfuffle!

Discus and support Just istalled W10 on desktop - what a kerfuffle! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Well, I couldn't be bothered to wait for my W10 upgrade over W7 / 8.1 download so I installed W10 from a install USB flash media I created last night.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by thefrecklepuny, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Just istalled W10 on desktop - what a kerfuffle!

Well, I couldn't be bothered to wait for my W10 upgrade over W7 / 8.1 download so I installed W10 from a install USB flash media I created last night. I thought I could install W10 clean. Wrong! I wiped my C drive by formatting and installed W10. I assumed that signing in with my MS account would verify that I was a legit upgrader. However, I knew this was not going to work as W10 asked for a product key. I skipped this and installed anyway.

Major Problem....once installed, W10 could not activate! Nothing would work. So I went back to W8. But I forgot that my w8 copy was also an upgrade!!! So I had to scrub that installation and install Vista Business 64bit!!!! I Good job my PC still has an optical drive! (I did have W7 but 'lent' it to my sister as an upgrade over Vista on her PC).

Unlike W7 / Vista could not natively detect my network adapter. So I had to did out my motherboard's driver disk for the first time in a good three years and install from there. Then activate Vista. Then plug in my W8 USB install flash drive.....wait a minute, Vista dies not natively support USB 3.0 so I had to install in a USB 2.0 port round the back
    of my PC.

Once I clicked the install file on the USB flash drive, Win 8 installed as an 'upgrade' after wiping all the old Vista files. Repeated the same procedure with W10 over W8.

So now it is all done.

I do remember having this issue with W8 over W7 and having to install initially as an upgrade. But then subsequent installs were allowed via the old fashioned format and install routine. I guess the same is now true of W10?

P.S. I did read that W10 has to be upgraded over W8.1 and W8 was not eligible. Not true as I went straight to Win 10 from W8 completely skipping the 8.1 upgrade.

:)

thefrecklepuny, Jul 29, 2015

2. Just installed W10 on a W7 machine. Desktop flashes on and off but cannot access files or apps.

Just installed W10 on a W7 machine. Desktop flashes on and off but cannot access files or apps.

JeromeDennis, Jul 29, 2015
  3. Just installed W10 on a W7 machine. Desktop flashes on and off but cannot access files or apps.

Hi,

Let's try these steps and check if it helps.

1. Try connecting to different video outputs on the PC. Sometimes a change in driver can cause the video to be sent:

To a different Adapter: from integrated graphics to a discrete card or vice versa.

To a different output: from HDMI to DVI, DisplayPort to VGA, or any other combination.

2. Try to boot into Safe Mode with Networking or Enable low-resolution video. Advanced boot options, Safe Mode with Networking, or Low Resolution Video

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/change-startup-settings-in-windows-10#v1h=tab01

-Check Device Manager and look for Display Adapters.

-If you see 2 items under Display Adapters, disable to integrated video card (e.g. Intel HD 4000 or AMD Radeon HD 4200) and restart. (try vice versa if it does not work)

-If you see 1 item under Display Adapters, rollback the driver or uninstall the display adapter in Device Manager, and enable the option to delete driver software.

-Check the PC or display adapter manufacturer’s site for an updated driver.

Please update us with the status. We will be glad to assist you.

Uttam Yadav, Jul 29, 2015
  4. JAG
    jag Win User

Just istalled W10 on desktop - what a kerfuffle!

it took three atempts to download and install on my toshiba laptop but what a disapointment after all yhe hype i think i was one of the odd ones as i loved windows 8.1 and think it was far superior to this downgrade to windows 10 i found windows 8.1 easier to use and navigate i know i am going to be in the minority but why try to fix something that is not broken if an oap like me could master windows 8.1 anyone can ps my next door neighbour is 82 and managed windows 7 extremely well need i say more i have used windows os since version 3 i still think the best version was xp but there you go nothing lasts forever in my opinion windows 10 tries to be everything to everyone but fails on so many points sorry to be so negative but we all have a opinion the sad part is i cannot revert to windows 8.1 as it would just download and update to windows 10 all over again

5. Chris2005 Win User
    Yea, you must upgrade to Windows 10 first and make sure you're successfully activated, then you can do a clean install.

Since the upgrade is using your current genuine installation as a foundation.

Ironically, Windows 10 installed my MFC printer and it's over 10 years old, lol. Likewise, my WIFI card is several years old and it was working right from the upgrade. It's likely using built-in drivers as well, since the separate program that came with my WIFI card is no longer installed, but it doesn't need to be, since it's optional.

The only issue I had was having to reinstall my display drivers, but once that was done, everything seems rather hunky-dory right now.

Chris2005, Jul 29, 2015
  6. What are the cons of having not activated win 10?

johnnybgood, Jul 29, 2015
  7. mrazndead Win User
    to fix the activation issue, very simple....

just keep clicking activate, activate, activate, non stop until it activates! crazy right?

also, you do not have to upgrade to w10 before you do a clean install.

just download microsoft windows 10 iso file, run the setup, hit upgrade,

after that, go into activate and keep pressing even though it says error, just keep pressing activate..... voila.

mrazndead, Jul 29, 2015
  8. Chris2005 Win User

You contradicted yourself...

You said you don't have to upgrade, red text.

Then you said just hit "upgrade," blue text.

You have to upgrade on top of your previous Windows installation for a clean install activation to work.

Chris2005, Jul 30, 2015
  9. So worth keeping the installation as it is or reinstalling W10 clean again?

thefrecklepuny, Jul 30, 2015
  10. mznGTR Win User
    Well it's quite simple actually, I had the same problem, then I went to the bay and voila.

To activate:
    Command prompt as admin and:

slmgr /ipk W269N-WFGWX-YVC9B-4J6C9-T83GX
    slmgr /skms kms.xspace.in
    slmgr /ato

mznGTR, Jul 30, 2015
  11. Megahertz Win User
    From Microsoft site Windows 10

If you will be installing the operating system for the first time, you will need your Windows product key (xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx).

Megahertz, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Just istalled W10 on desktop - what a kerfuffle! - Similar Threads - istalled W10 desktop

2. Isdone.dll problem when istalling game.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Isdone.dll problem when istalling game.: Hello , I want to say that ,When I install any big size game it appears a problem isdone.dll unarc.dll error code-7.Please help me I can't able to install any big size game.Thank you....
  3. app istall

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    app istall: how do i put care.com app from google play on my windows 10 pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/app-istall/74e09e5b-9a85-4c28-958e-abc8b418f7cd
  4. Urdu language istallation

in Windows 10 Customization
    Urdu language istallation: When I install Urdu language pack, basic typing is not getting installed as seen in the screen shot below: [ATTACH] And also Urdu Phonetic keyboard is not displaying in language toggle switch as shown below: [ATTACH]...
  5. Newly istalled Minecraft for windows 10 keeps crashing just after start up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Newly istalled Minecraft for windows 10 keeps crashing just after start up: I've just downloaded Minecraft for windows. It seemed to start up ok first time, although I never got to actually creating a world. The first thing I tried was ordering my own Realm for my family. Half way through this process it crashed to the desktop. After that it...
  6. What happens to W10 Users Desktop Items when their Profile is deleted?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    What happens to W10 Users Desktop Items when their Profile is deleted?: I need to delete two older User Names / Desktops. There are some items that we would like to keep / maintain. Is it possible to retain these Windows 10 Desktop Items / Icons? 150562
  7. Just changed from chromebook to w10

in Windows 10 Support
    Just changed from chromebook to w10: Hi There For many years, used a laptop, last one being w10, but I then decided for some reason to change to a chromebook Acer14. Very pleased in most respects but felt it was lacking in others. This week I bought a HP Strean 14 and I am going through the set up process....
  8. Just done a clean install of W10

Just done a clean install of W10: I have just done a clean install of Windows 10 pro and when I open Macrium reflect i find that my SSD drive, which I use purely for the O/S, has been split into four partitions. Does anyone know why this would be please. I would have thought that doing the clean install...
  9. abnormal istallation

abnormal istallation: WHY IS REQUIRED ABNORMAL INSTALLATION IN DESKTOP? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/abnormal-istallation/45ee0a3c-6a83-4be3-85a5-9bb2f2be2076
  10. What is the advantage of using virtual desktops over just windows?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    What is the advantage of using virtual desktops over just windows?: Very sorry if this seems a dumb question. I have never used virtual desktops and would like to know what is the advantage of using them rather than just separate windows, for example I might have 3 windows open, perhaps Photoshop, File explorer and Waterfox/firefox, how would...