Windows 10: @KARI access Linux HDD's in HYPER-V VM

Discus and support @KARI access Linux HDD's in HYPER-V VM in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there particularly @Kari. I'm playing around now with HYPER-V. I want to access 1 X 9 TB and 1 X 7 TB Linux internal HDD's from a HYPER-V... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Jul 28, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

@KARI access Linux HDD's in HYPER-V VM

Hi there

particularly @Kari.

I'm playing around now with HYPER-V.

I want to access 1 X 9 TB and 1 X 7 TB Linux internal HDD's from a HYPER-V VM (Centos 7). I'm running HOST W10 pro x-64.

I've taken the two HDD's offline to the HOST but can't seem to get the VM to see them.

These are INTERNAL HDD's. (4 physical volumes, computer sees as 2 logical HDD's - RAID 0 via hardware at boot)

I've backed up the data just in case it all goes pearshaped. !!!! The two HDD's are formatted XFS (but not in LVM group) so they should be accessible individually.

I've also got 2 physical NIC's in the hardware so network switch should be fine. ( HP Ethernet 1Gb 2-port 332i adapter )

Any help here would be appreciated. I need to access these HDD's in the VM in Native mode (I presume that's the point of the pass-thru).

This can't be done in VMWARE or VBOX -- you can only attach USB HDD's. So if this can be done then a good reason for using HYPER-V. Time Illearned it properly anyway.

(I'm trying to create a Virtual Media server - my media files are on the Linux HDD's).

Thanks

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jul 28, 2016
  2. SarahKong Win User

Unable to install fall creators update 1709

Oh i see.

I use Ubuntu on a VM.

Windows 10 has Hyper-V so you can download Ubuntu and create a Ubuntu VM.

More work yes, but i like it because it is more isolated too.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-run-linux-di...

SarahKong, Jul 28, 2016
  3. RFT OB1 Win User
    Remote Desktop Connection problem with Virtual Machine

We made the big mistake of configuring a WINDOWS-10 VM to allow for Remote Desktop Connections. We are unable to disassociate the VM from RDM. We can no longer access the VM!!! The following is the pertinenet
    information:

• Server is running Windows-10 Professional 64 with Hyper-V installed.
    • VM is Windows-10 Professional 64.
    • In VM allowed Remote Desktop Connections.
    • From server successfully connected to VM via RDM.
    • Closed RDM connection. Unable to access VM.
    • Turned off VM from Hyper-V Manager.
    • Attempted to restart VM, unable to connect via Hyper-V from message box the following is displayed:

Video Remoting was disconnected. The virtual maching is currently using the Remote X 3D video adapter. A user is currently connected via Remote Desktop Connect to the virtual machine by using Remote Desktop Connection.
    • Connected via Remote Desktop Connection. Attempted to turn off allowing Remote Desktop Connection. VM hung.
    • VM Wouldn't turn off via Hyper-V manager.
    • Shutdown host system and rebooted.
    • Unable to connect via console or RDM.
    • Shutdown host system and rebooted.
    • Deleted VM via Hyper-V Manager.
    • Restored VM system disk from backup prior to RDM usage.
    • Created new VM. the messages in itm 7 above are displayed.
    What can be done to recover? Why does Hyper-V retain a broken connection?

RFT OB1, Jul 28, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Thanks especially @Kari

Working now SCSI is the trick and option 1 (This system doesn't have UEFI - that was mistake nr 1 !!!) still it's all learning.

I could get "addicted" to this !!!

SAMBA works to share HDD's with Windows Host too -- using 1 NIC for 2.4Ghz and 1 NIC for 5 GHZ wifi connections (Using 2X routers as Ethernet-->wifi Bridges --works fine !!) --hate loads of LAN cable over the place - 5GHZ wifi gives max of 433 mb/s transfer --more than fast enough for media server testing !!). I'm lucky here --wifi up to 1tb !!! good thing about Nordic countries - wifi infrastructure first class.

Cheers

jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 28, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    That with SCSI is the most important factor, logics tell us to put the disk offline but not that when added to vm it must be added as SCSI *Smile

Kari, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. @KARI access Linux HDD's in HYPER-V VM - Similar Threads - @KARI access Linux

2. HYPER-V on latest 20H1 build Linux VM's

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    HYPER-V on latest 20H1 build Linux VM's: Hi there On Linux VM's with HYPER-V on latest build 20H1 : In Non full screen mode you can't adjust the screen area so you can lose the bottom part of the screen. [img] In Full screen mode the Guest doesn't allow monitor size settings to full 1980 X 1080 I don't think...
  3. Remote access to Hyper-V VM

Remote access to Hyper-V VM: I have a Hyper-V VM created with a Windows OS running in it. Is there a way I can connect to the VM via Remote Desktop from a computer other than the host computer? Thanks! John 130025
  4. Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hyper-V VM: With the Hyper-V session running on my local machine. Am I allowed to create a VM using the DVD I used on the machine? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hyper-v-vm/2b8f2e09-28ab-4e98-bba3-f835ac67d542"
  5. HYPER-V LINUX VM with sound

HYPER-V LINUX VM with sound: Hi folks trying an experiment I hadn't thought of before Going through some old junk I found a small mini USB sound and Mic adapter. Tested it on a Native CENTOS machine (the one with the radeon GPU where I couldn't get sound working in any case) Worked fine -- hardware...
  6. HYPER-V question for probably Kari

HYPER-V question for probably Kari: Hi there quick question on HYPER-V probably for @Kari as he's the undisputed champion of HYPER-V around here !!! If I have a VM powered on under HYPER-V can I log off as the Windows user and still have people able to access the HYPER-V VM - assuming of course they have an...
  7. HYPER-V and ESXI Kari - have you tried this

HYPER-V and ESXI Kari - have you tried this: Hi there has anybody especially @Kari tried creating an ESXI VM on HYPER-V and then attaching VM's to the Esxi VM. I'd imagine if possible the response time would be quite good as Esxi is such a TINY OS. Running esxi as a VM would also get round some of its pickier...
  8. One for Kari - Secure boot with HYPER-V question

One for Kari - Secure boot with HYPER-V question: Hi there I see that although VMware and VBOX can't do it (they can use UEFI) it seems HYPER-V CAN create a level 2 (type 2) VM which can enable secure boot. I want to have a go with this on a W2012 Server HOST. Anything special needed for setting up the VM -- want to...
  9. Running Linux VM on HYPER - V --works !!!

Running Linux VM on HYPER - V --works !!!: Hi there @Kari particularly -- any experience with using the FREE 2016 server HYPER-V edition and any pitfalls as I want to try it later. Try Active Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2016 | TechNet Evaluation Software Best Practices for running Linux on Hyper-V | Microsoft...
  10. Hyper-V VM - Install CentOS Linux in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hyper-V VM - Install CentOS Linux in Windows 10: How to: Hyper-V VM - Install CentOS Linux in Windows 10 How to Install CentOS Linux on Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10 [img] Note A working and quite nice alternative for dual booting is to install various operating systems on a virtual machine. CentOS is...
Tags: