Windows 10: KB3189866 Update made laptop Taskbar & menus useless. Screw Microsoft

Discus and support KB3189866 Update made laptop Taskbar & menus useless. Screw Microsoft in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; !!!!!!!!!!!!!WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!! I suggest you STAY AWAY from this update KB3189866. It applied on my Dad's laptop this morning and suddenly he was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ArJuna, Sep 15, 2016.

1. ArJuna Win User

KB3189866 Update made laptop Taskbar & menus useless. Screw Microsoft

!!!!!!!!!!!!!WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I suggest you STAY AWAY from this update KB3189866. It applied on my Dad's laptop this morning and suddenly he was unable to open his start menu and his volume slider would not appear when he clicked on his speaker icon. It was also impossible to right-click anything on the task bar and use any of the options, such as "Run as Administrator". Basically the task bar did not do ANYTHING besides start an app on the task bar that you double clicked on. Right clicking the start button icon did bring up the usual system stuff. Oh, and clicking on the clock did nothing. I managed to right click on the task bar and get settings to pop up. I immediately went to updates and uninstalled the KB3189866 update and rebooted. Every then worked again. I have been using Windows since version .99 Beta (before version 1). I hate Bill Gates.

BTW, this was on a factory high end $2000 HP-Omen Laptop purchased just last year.

:)

ArJuna, Sep 15, 2016

2. Update KB3189866 from 9/13/2016

It took me a few days to figure out, but KB3189866 made my taskbar totally useless. Nothing would respond except right-clicking on Start. After uninstalling it, all is back to normal. I've read other horror stories concerning the same update, but this
    was my issue. Made the machine useless, basically. At least I found the culprit. Plus, I was able to hide the update, so no new frustrations, I hope.

DavidMargotta, Sep 15, 2016
  3. kjl1956 Win User
    Update KB 3189866 quit at 45.......Help!

kb3189866 updated when it was released on one pc with no issues.

The second pc the update failed, included in this update this time was

flash player update and windows defender update.

On the second pc defender and flash player updated but kb3189866

failed.

Retired kb3189866 and failed again but this time a .net 4 update showed up

and installed but kb3189866 still failed.

Rebooted the pc tried again same fail for kb3189866 , event viewer log showed

WU could not connect to the WU server, no connection to the internet and so on,

but the network was fine.

Downloaded the standalone and installed, more new updates in the list, installed with no issue.

Third pc same issue with some updates installing, some failing and new ones added before

kb3189866 gets installed.

Something is screwed up here and it seems to be on the server side.

Any thoughts ?

kjl1956, Sep 15, 2016
  4. KB3189866 Update made laptop Taskbar & menus useless. Screw Microsoft

1 it is nothing to do with Bill Gates now,
    2 why do a double post that is called spamming, you have only just joined this forum, made 2 posts and both on the same topic

hTconeM9user, Sep 15, 2016
  5. ArJuna Win User
    I realized after replying in another thread that this deserved its own thread to warn users. Most other threads on this update discuss problems with downloading it. I made the effort to help others, so please don't be a prick about it. Not sure how anyone would label helping out as spamming. Spamming is when folks are trying to sell something, whether it be an idea or a product. Try to be nice. I made the effort to create an account, and make this post so I could indicate in clear terms the cause and solution that you could potentially encounter with this update.

Bill Gates has earned my disdain over the decades for his unethical business practices. He passed these on and Windows users are still beta testers that have to pay for the privilege of testing the software and spending many hours of their time to resolve problems which should have been flushed out long before they bought the product. I've been a computer engineer for 38 years. I was an MCSE among other things and have good cause for blasting both Bill Gates and his creation. I've also been on the receiving end of his software thievery and stealing of other company's technology. His ruthlessness and massive financial resources allowed him to get away with being a scumbag. For this and the amount of frustration he's delivered to his customers because of his choices will leave him with some serious bad karma to settle in his next life.

ArJuna, Sep 16, 2016
  6. If you do 2 posts on same subject then it could be classed as spamming, as most members have not had trouble, I myself have not my own daughter has 15 systems throughout her business and not one has played her up. Also Bill Gates has been gone years, and if it was not for him most of us would not even have or own a computer, also if you are an engineer then you should for one be able to sort the problem out.
    Are you also sure that all the software and drivers are up to date on the computer you are having trouble with

hTconeM9user, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

KB3189866 Update made laptop Taskbar & menus useless. Screw Microsoft

1. KB3189866 Update made laptop Taskbar & menus useless. Screw Microsoft - Similar Threads - KB3189866 Update made

2. Windows 11 made my laptop virtually useless

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 made my laptop virtually useless: I can't even access my settings at all after the Windows 11 update. Nothing opens except a few apps and I really need to access my settings.How does one restore Windows 10 when they can't access their settings at all.* Moved from Community Center...
  3. Windows 11 made my laptop virtually useless

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 made my laptop virtually useless: I can't even access my settings at all after the Windows 11 update. Nothing opens except a few apps and I really need to access my settings.How does one restore Windows 10 when they can't access their settings at all.* Moved from Community Center...
  4. Taskbar is now useless

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar is now useless: My taskbar is not working. It got white and not clickable at all. Even on the system tray all icons are not working as well. I dont know what happened. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-is-now-useless/57a53e51-a3d0-4b1e-9cbd-57cf7f6ca7ab
  5. Taskbar is now useless

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar is now useless: My taskbar is not working. It got white and not clickable at all. Even on the system tray all icons are not working as well. I dont know what happened. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-is-now-useless/57a53e51-a3d0-4b1e-9cbd-57cf7f6ca7ab
  6. 2004 feature update made start menu useless.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    2004 feature update made start menu useless.: #1 The update was automatically pushed on me. I thought feature updates were supposed to only be installed if you chose to do it when your on the current version? I was on 1909 #2 After updating to 2004 the search box opens when I hit the start button covering half the...
  7. 2 different KB3189866 updates, or is it just the same thing ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    2 different KB3189866 updates, or is it just the same thing ?: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3189866) was stuck at 98% so I downloaded and installed it manually (link provided by Softpedia). File 431MB windows10.0-kb3189866-x64_2c3e91a8162269579c8bf26a502c620d41efef0d.msu CRC32: 8AF704A8...
  8. How to install Cumulative Update KB3189866

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to install Cumulative Update KB3189866: I am having Win 10 home version 1607 64-bit. While downloading KB31889866 through Windows Update it struck up at 45% for 3 hrs, now it has again struck up at 95% for >2hrs. If I download it from the Catalog site of MS using IE, it will download to a separate folder. How do I...
  9. Useless Taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Useless Taskbar: Problem: Can't use Cortana search, open notifications or open the start menu. Can't run Insider Hub either I've been searching google all day and tried several methods with no results. * I created a powershell.exe file on the desktop and ran as administrator to use the...
  10. Cumulative Update KB3189866 Windows 10 build 14393.187

in Windows 10 News
    Cumulative Update KB3189866 Windows 10 build 14393.187: UPDATE: September 20th 2016 We encountered a network transmission issue with update KB3189866 published on September 13, 2016, and the quickest way to address this issue was to reissue the update to all Content Delivery Networks. This new update KB3193494 has the same...
Tags: