Windows 10: kb3194798

Discus and support kb3194798 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; At least 4 retries with this update to get to .321 on a Home 64bit Acer Laptop. Each could not complete and went into undoing changes. I have done the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Rose W, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Rose W Win User

kb3194798

At least 4 retries with this update to get to .321 on a Home 64bit Acer Laptop. Each could not complete and went into undoing changes.
    I have done the remove SoftwareDistribution folder. Actually I renamed it. A new folder appeared. With Windows defender shut off and internet connection off used the .msu file and it did not install either-same routine of undoing changes.
    sfc /scannow says no errors.
    The two other updates did install -Flash Player, Malicious software tool and Defender definition but not the update.
    One oddity during the install process when a restart is begun a message box appears over the restart blue screen referencing an error with explorer.exe It is there so briefly I don't get a chance to record the numbers that might indicate the error nor do I get to click on the cancel button ...it just disappears and the restart process goes on.
    I went back to command prompt and removed new SoftwareDistribution and renamed the old SoftwareDistribution then the history file is back.

Meanwhile my main desktop updated smoothly even though I used the .msu first . I discovered .msu not include the other additional updates so had to go through the Update routine. Afterwards disk cleanup took a very long time for the 3.9TB. Only the DCom error is in desktop event viewer the appreadiness errors are now gone.

At the moment the Laptop Update setting says up to date and the version is at .222
    The Laptop is turned off and I'm considering the benefits of restoring a Reflect Image done just previous to this whole patch routine. This would mean starting all over again with this 'patch' and no guarantee of success.

IF both machines failed I would really be ranting *chuckle
    Edit: renaming etc of Distribution folder was done at Command Prompt(admin) and TheWindowsClub site has only the recommend to clear the SoftwareDistribution, disable antivirus and try again....been there done that.

:)

Rose W, Oct 12, 2016
  2. coth Win User

Windows Update KB3194496 INSTALL FAILED

Still same, except now it's KB3194798

Got KB3199209 installed today, but KB3194798 won't install since almost a week.

3. Caminante Win User
    Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3194798)

I had the loop restart/rollback/update and I solved this, I give you my procedure, hopes be usefull for you all:

• Download Cumulative Update KB3194798 from Microsoft Catalog https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3194798
    • Selected Windows 10 x64 Option (or right for you) from Microsoft Update Catalog
    • Manually uninstall Cumulative Update KB3194798
    • Disconnect PC/Lap from internet
    • Restart
    • Wait for roll back
    • Restart again
    • Install the Cumulative Update KB3194798, already downloaded
    • Restart
    • Activate Internet connections

I success install KB3194798 by this.

The restarts are very important, the changes on system are really efective after a restart.

Caminante, Oct 12, 2016
  4. kb3194798

Have you tried a clean boot installation?

Cbarnhorst, Oct 12, 2016
  5. Rose W Win User
    I hadn't thought of this procedure. Is the expected outcome that a start up item creates an interference? It is a very short list. IF anything in that list is causing the halt then not too lengthy to check each item. If it is a windows service I visualize another day of 'redo' since each update install and undo changes was not a speedy procedure.
    I have the .msu file so it could be used in the clean boot install. The .msu file is not faulty because I used a copy of it on the desktop.

Edit: Did the clean boot install with the .msu file. No success. Couldn't complete the updates, undoing changes.

Rose W, Oct 12, 2016
  6. Then it must be an issue with the update itself and I recommend using the Contact Support app on the Start menu to have Microsoft resolve it.

Cbarnhorst, Oct 12, 2016
  7. Berton Win User
    Agreed, you may be getting corrupted data during the update but on the positive side I have just finished a number of the updates to .321 over yesterday and this morning, 5 Desktops, 6 Notebooks and 2 Tablets, no issues yet except some had slow downloads probably attributed to Internet speed or server bandwidth. The machines are a mix of 32-bit [4] and 64-bit [9]. Got 2 more Notebooks to do.

Berton, Oct 12, 2016
  8. Rose W Win User

kb3194798

I launched the troubleshooter for Updating and it reported it fixed some things but did not fix the database. I did post a report on that Feedback hub.
    I suspect I have to get rid of the stuff in the SoftwareDistribution and remove the qmgr.dat.
    I'll try removing that folder....again. I'm not sure about that gmgr.dat ....or redoing the bits
    The manual steps for that require a horrendous amount of command line typing to reregister dlls for bits.
    As described at this site How to reset Windows Update on Windows 10 to fix downloads and installs issues PUREinfoTech
    The annoying factor is the main desktop installed quickly. The laptop is not a daily use thing so this update is more of an investigative challenge <grin>
    Berton - before I had the opportunity to use the .msu on the laptop the update service had downloaded 90% (quietly) the night before and I had shut the laptop down. When internet connection was established that update appeared to continue as expected. It is likely the record in the SoftwareDistribution.

Rose W, Oct 12, 2016
  9. Rose W Win User
    The Windows Update Agent was reset using the script from technet
    https://[URL="Script Reset Windows Update Agent"]gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Reset-Windows-Update-Agent-d824badc
    [/URL]It does an efficient job and creates a .bak of the original softwaredistribution
    Both manual .msu and another update download failed.
    0x800f0922 is the error attached in the event viewer.
    If the install log were more readily available it might have more distinct information.
    The Esset site current remarks about this faulty install include that when the not install error is 0x800f0922 then the system reserve partition needs expanding. Of course they have a partition manager but that's about where my skill nerve peters out and at this point I'll check out a 'real' technician at a local service centre.
    Two lovely fall days applied to this task is enough. If I were paying myself this would be a major service fee.

Rose W, Oct 12, 2016
  10. Eki seta Win User
    App Readiness Service must be enabled

Eki seta, Oct 13, 2016
  11. Berton Win User
    Berton, Oct 13, 2016
  12. Rose W Win User
    Oh good to know that copy and paste works because it is a bit tricky to copy the url into the box. That script has several choices of which the reset update is one. I wasn't keen on doing all the typing at the command prompt and by chance came across it. What was particularly good is that the contents of the script are available for viewing before downloading and running.
    I really thought this reset was going to do the trick but it was not so a combination of 'fed up' and 'perhaps someone else has the skill' so I delivered the laptop to a local repair service. He might not be any more successful <LOL> so my expectations are in reserve.

Eki Seta: Perhaps the App Readiness needs to be enabled but after the previous update there were a slew of Event viewer errors with it. I turned that service back on just before this recent update. The issue appears to have been corrected on this desktop anyway.

Rose W, Oct 13, 2016
  13. kb3194798

One thing that seems to cause update rollbacks on some updates is if the Program Files is located on another drive by editing the registry at
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion, ProgramFilesDir.

Make sure that is set to C:\Program Files

Cbarnhorst, Oct 13, 2016
  14. Rose W Win User
    I have not ventured into that scheme of moving sections out of their designed pattern. The closest I have got to that is linking user folders to another drive (Music, documents etc)
    In fact with Win10 I gave up on the idea of special or customized stuff since the cumulative updates appeared all would be set back to original. I did reorganize the desktop view and that has been honored.
    The Laptop which was Win8.1 previously just had a plain desktop view(no tiles) and no changes to its structure. It had one purpose and that was to hold the video files that I project to a screen at a meeting. That is the only reason it needs to be in working order even though it isn't used 90% of the time. If the technician has to clear everything and reinstall it doesn't matter for there is little on it.
    I can understand the desire to move programs off an SSD but perhaps its time to have fewer programs *Smile

Rose W, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

kb3194798

1. kb3194798 - Similar Threads - kb3194798

2. KB3194798 fails at 99%

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    KB3194798 fails at 99%: Hello, Latest cumulative update installs up to 99 % but then reverses. As looked from i-net there are many with the same problem. I posted here on similar update problem a few months ago. Then nothing else helped than a full reinstallation of Windows. That's wast of...
  3. Reboot loop after kb3194798, error 0xc000000f

in Windows 10 Support
    Reboot loop after kb3194798, error 0xc000000f: Dear Users, Since last Thursday I'm having troubles with Win10. It was going to update but it somehow failed - now I have reboot loop after each 20 seconds - only short info that update is going back and restart - I kept it for whole night and nothing happen ;/ So I made...
  4. Lenovo G505 won't boot after Windows Update maybe KB3194798

in Windows 10 Support
    Lenovo G505 won't boot after Windows Update maybe KB3194798: My W10 64bit Dell desktop installed KB3194798 on 10/12/2016 using Windows Update (WU) so now it is 1607 1493.321. Today I tried WU to update my Lenovo G505 W10 laptop and I think it might have been KB3194798 that has killed my laptop, but I cannot even get the laptop to go...
  5. Cumulative Update KB3194798 for Windows 10 PC & Mobile build 14393.321

in Windows 10 News
    Cumulative Update KB3194798 for Windows 10 PC & Mobile build 14393.321: A new cumulative update KB3194798 build 14393.321 released for Windows 10 users. The latest cumulative update KB3194798 is now available for Windows 10 1607 Anniversary Update build users. The latest build will update PC build 14393.222 to build 14393.321 and mobile build...
Tags: