Windows 10: KB3199209 sleep/hibernate issue

Discus and support KB3199209 sleep/hibernate issue in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, First post here, so go easy on me. Yesterday one of my W10A(1607) PC's happily and automatically downloaded and installed KB3199209. Since then,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TranzPhat, Oct 18, 2016.

1. TranzPhat Win User

KB3199209 sleep/hibernate issue

Hi,

First post here, so go easy on me. Yesterday one of my W10A(1607) PC's happily and automatically downloaded and installed KB3199209. Since then, I have notice some strange behavior w/r to sleep/hibernation.

Typically, when not in use, the PC is put into hybrid sleep until the next time its needed. This has worked well on the same machine during its Windows 7 days and its W10(1511) days and even with 1607.

However, what I have discovered after the KB3199209 update yesterday, is that after the PC enters hybrid sleep, it wakes itself up after ~10 minutes only to put itself into hibernation. This is curious since, in the power scheme that I use, hibernation is set to never. I also tried setting hibernation to 5000 minutes, yet without any difference in results - it wakes up (not even energizing the display) just to put itself into hibernation.

I would have tried to uninstall the update to verify that the update was indeed the culprit for this new odd behavior, but when selecting the update in settings, the option to uninstall disappears.

Of course, if I turn off hibernation, the PC stays asleep until I want it to wake - as expected. Turning hibernation back on, the odd wake to hibernate behavior resumes.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Anyone else seeing this?

:)

TranzPhat, Oct 18, 2016
  2. FT2908 Win User

Hibernate/sleep option restart the PC.

Does anyone having an issue with Hibernate/sleep option as well? after we installed this update every time we closed the lid, instead of going to hibernate/sleep the machine went restart. When it's up it's asking for bit locker key again and again.

Yes, there is no "uninstall" button yet!

[Post moved / split by the moderator to the appropriate forum category / another thread]

FT2908, Oct 18, 2016
  3. Battery drain with windows 10 on surface pro 2

Hi Adam. I had the same issue going to sleep. i read somewhere else to use Hibernate instead of sleep and it worked. You have to enable hibernate in the power setting and while you're there disable the sleep option so it does appear in the power menu.
    I also change my power button to go to hibernate instead of sleep.

It has worked so far.

markdimalanta, Oct 18, 2016
  4. caperjack Win User

hello, don't have an answer but a question,, how would I know if my laptop woke to put itself into a different sleep

caperjack, Oct 18, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    First off no one is using Hybrid Sleep, because Hibernation has never worked since day one, due in part there are so many different setups for hardware, that the S3 state and Hibernation partition are not handled properly.

There really is no need for Hybrid sleep with fast SSD's and M.2 boards available. Also you can set the OS to open up programs that you were using before shutting down or logging off.

bro67, Oct 19, 2016
  6. TranzPhat Win User
    You would look in event viewer >windows logs > system , then look for power events after known sleep events

TranzPhat, Oct 19, 2016
  7. TranzPhat Win User
    LOL, Well I obviously do and have been for years and up till yesterday, it worked just fine.

TranzPhat, Oct 19, 2016
  8. caperjack Win User

thanks, lot of error in there, but none power related

caperjack, Oct 19, 2016
  9. Bree New Member
    Not sure why it hibernates, but (while answering another thread) I think I've found one reason why it could be waking from sleep.

10 minutes is the default setting for the automatic maintenance Defender scan to start if the PC is idle. It can be set to 'wake the computer to run this task'. Check in Task Scheduler: Task Scheduler Local / Task Scheduler Library /Microsoft/ Windows / Windows Defender.

KB3199209 sleep/hibernate issue [​IMG]

10. TranzPhat Win User
    I checked this and on the subject PC, the defaulted setting for Defender scheduled scan was 1 minute - never touched it!

TranzPhat, Oct 19, 2016
  11. bro67 Win User
    Do not see this as a joking matter, since Hibernate never worked right since it was introduced in XP SP3.

bro67, Oct 20, 2016
  12. Bree New Member
    Long before that, surely. I've been reliably using hibernate on all my systems since Windows 95. Currently I'm using Hibernate on XP, W7 and W10 with no problems. 95 did require drivers from the manufacturer.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibernation_(computing)

...it is this Hybrid Sleep that seems temperamental, not Hibernation as such.

13. bro67 Win User

Hibernate never was in Windows 95. It did not get introduced into Windows until XP SP3. If you were using any kind of Hibernate function, it was most likely third party software.

Also Hybrid is Hibernate in a different fashion, but still it is inherent a problem with certain hardware that has never worked since the day Microsoft created it.

bro67, Oct 20, 2016
  14. BrendanB Win User
    Hibernate and indeed hybrid sleep both work well in my (fairly extensive) experience and have done for years. That's not to say no-one has problems.

Hibernate (compared to power off) has the major advantage that all applications and data are preserved, and you pick up exactly where you left off. But your machine is powered off and does not need a power source. It can take around 30 seconds to power up from hibernate, usually a lot faster than a cold boot.

Sleep (or suspend) has all the advantages of hibernate (machine state is preserved) and your machine leaps into life in just a couple of seconds. But sleep needs a little power to maintain the memory contents. On a modern machine, the power use is tiny, maybe a watt or so, and it is a great way to save some power when leaving your machine for an hour or more. BUT - the big disadvantage is that if you have a power failure you have to boot up from scratch and any unsaved data is lost.

Hybrid sleep was an ingeneous way to get the best of both worlds. You go into sleep, but a copy of the machine status is written to disk, as done for hibernate. Normally you can start up in a couple of seconds. But if the power fails, you don't lose your data or state as the machine will recover as if from a hibernate state.

If hibernate is not working for you, then you have some sort of system problem- almost certainly software.

BrendanB, Oct 20, 2016
  15. TranzPhat Win User
    Joining many others w/r wifi issues after the KB3199209 update, today, after waking the subject PC, I get a message that one of the usb devices attached failed to start. Checking into this message, I find that the PC's wifi adapter is no longer recognized via device manager.
    Repeatedly now, every time I wake the PC, this message is occurring.

Seriously, doesn't M$ have any pride anymore with the product(s) they put out? This update is trash and to make matters worse, it can't be uninstalled.

Does anyone from Microsoft visit this forum? Does anyone from Tenforums have any inside contacts with Microsoft that could kick these issues towards a speedy resolution?

Arrrghhhhh!

TranzPhat, Oct 20, 2016
Thema:

1. KB3199209 sleep/hibernate issue - Similar Threads - KB3199209 sleep hibernate

2. Sleep / Hibernate Issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sleep / Hibernate Issues: Hi all - I have a new HP Spectre laptop and am having a strange issue. I have seen several others post on similar things but not exactly this one.I noticed that when I close the lid of my laptop it will not go into Sleep or Hibernate regardless of which setting I choose. Yes...
  3. Sleep / Hibernate Issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sleep / Hibernate Issues: Hi all - I have a new HP Spectre laptop and am having a strange issue. I have seen several others post on similar things but not exactly this one.I noticed that when I close the lid of my laptop it will not go into Sleep or Hibernate regardless of which setting I choose. Yes...
  4. Sleep and Hibernation Issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sleep and Hibernation Issues: Hello,My Windows 11 PC closes all applications mimics a shutdown whenever I put my PC to sleep or hibernate for an extended period of time, typically over 3 hours....
  5. Sleep and Hibernation Issues

Sleep and Hibernation Issues: Hello,My Windows 11 PC closes all applications mimics a shutdown whenever I put my PC to sleep or hibernate for an extended period of time, typically over 3 hours....
  6. Hibernate/sleep issue

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hibernate/sleep issue: Greeting all, ill try not to wast your time. every time i try to hibernate the computer/desktop, it turns back on.from what i know, yesterday it had a blue screen whilst it was going into hibernation turning it back on, though the problem didn't show up then, i did moved the...
  7. Hibernate/sleep issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hibernate/sleep issue: Greeting all, ill try not to wast your time. every time i try to hibernate the computer/desktop, it turns back on.from what i know, yesterday it had a blue screen whilst it was going into hibernation turning it back on, though the problem didn't show up then, i did moved the...
  8. Hibernate/sleep issue

9. KB3199209 Borked Start Screen

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    KB3199209 Borked Start Screen: After this update: 1) all prior restore points are gone; and 2) I can't drag and drop to rearrange live tiles without crashing the start screen. Nice work MS! 67631
  10. Update KB3199209 for Windows 10 version 1607

in Windows 10 News
    Update KB3199209 for Windows 10 version 1607: New servicing stack update version 1607 via Windows Update on PCs. Servicing stack update for Windows 10 Version 1607: October 18, 2016 Summary This update makes stability improvements for the Windows 10 Version 1607 servicing stack. How to get this update...
Tags: