Windows 10: KB4056892 Still Received and Bricked an Old AMD PC

Discus and support KB4056892 Still Received and Bricked an Old AMD PC in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I just fired up an old AMD Athlon 64 X2 PC running the latest version of Windows 10. I was surprised Windows 10 showed an update to KB4056892 which I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Steve C, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Steve C Win User

KB4056892 Still Received and Bricked an Old AMD PC

I just fired up an old AMD Athlon 64 X2 PC running the latest version of Windows 10. I was surprised Windows 10 showed an update to KB4056892 which I thought had been blocked. I let the update run anyway (since another PC ran an Automatic repair OK) and the PC hung on restart. However, this PC won't run Automatic Repair after restart. How can I run Automatic Repair on a PC in this state? I do have a Macrium backup to recover from.

:)

Steve C, Jan 10, 2018
  2. fix-me-up Win User

The Bricking of Certain AMD processors by update KB4056892 not Solved by KB4073290

KB4074588 is already installed on my amd Athlon 64 X2 Core Processor 4200+. This is not helping to prevent the Windows Update from provisioning the installation of KB4056892, on the next bootup, if I leave Windows Update service
    on automatic or delayed automatic. Thus, KB4056892 continues to brick my pc. It's preventing me from updating my pc since all I can do is restart the pc and let automatic repair remove KB4056892.

I have also been unsuccessful running "wushowhide.diagcab" to hold back KB4056892 from the update process. I can check the hold back box for KB4056892,
    but when I continue, the stupid utility reports KB4056892 "fixed" when it is not. The pc reboots and I get bricked again!

fix-me-up, Jan 10, 2018
  3. KB4056892 fails to install after I installed KB4073290, cpu is vulnerable to Spectre

You should not install this update on a system with an AMD processor and that Ashampoo app should not be consulted.

Installing KB4056892 on AMD computers will brick it. Microsoft is aware of it and will be releasing an official fix for such computers this Friday that mitigates Spectre/Meltdown. So, keep blocking KB4056892 until then.

Andre Da Costa, Jan 10, 2018
  4. jdandpe Win User

I was having this same problem and was at my wit's end before I stumbled across the news that KB4056892 was causing my old AMD to freeze at start up with a blue Windows logo. Just when I thought I had the problem solved, I would come back to the computer to find the screen frozen with the blue Windows logo. I assumed the update had been blocked as reported, but have since confirmed that it was not blocked on my computer, and so the update kept re-installing, and each time I re-started I would be frozen at start up. Each time, I had to go back to a restore point that pre-dated the install of KB4056892, so I could start up. I decided to manually disable the Windows Updates with "services.msc" for a few days to see if there will be news about a patched update. My computer would not run the Automatic Repair after restart either. I had to go "other options" and find the option to go to a restore point. I have never had much success with restore points, but at least it worked this time to get me back to a point before KB4056892 was installed. It appears that I am able to use the computer now with the Windows Updates disabled.

jdandpe, Jan 10, 2018
  5. Steve C Win User
    Thanks. I've tried the update on two AMD PCs. One invoked Automatic Repair after a failed restart and reverted OK. The second one just hangs at the Windows logo and I can't do anything with it.

Steve C, Jan 10, 2018
  6. galaxys Win User
    AMD Athlon Neo MV-40 CPU, 4GB of Ram, latest chipset & BIOS legacy:
    I have tried several times to update to Windows 10 CU v1709 but each time it downloads to around 80% an error message appears: "A hyper transport sync flood error occurred on last boot - Press F1 to resume" then it starts to restore previous version 1607 Windows! Never seen this error on any other Windows 10 build.
    Not sure why Microsoft Update downloads and tries to install to only fail without a fix...hours wasted!

galaxys, Jan 11, 2018
  7. Steve C Win User
    Steve C, Jan 11, 2018
  8. VBF
    VBF Win User

I've had to do a similar recovery as of this morning but I've set my Feature and Quality updates to maximum and the Network to metered. This is only a test m/c but it's all rather tiresome.
    Hopefully MS will update the update at some stage.*Sad

UPDATE:..........

Windows Defender's automatic update applies the necessary Registry fix, by the way, paving the way for KB4056892 to install,

For my errant AMD PC, restored it to an earlier build (16299.19) via Macrium and it worked perfectly until I allowed KB4056892 to install, when the whole cycle starts again. So, the version of KB4056892 that's currently available still stops some AMD PCs from booting.

I did allow some updates through, so presently the PC is at OS Build 16299.125. I've made another Macrium image of that and have set
    Set Feature update delay 365 days
    Quality update delay 30 days
    Network METERED

That'll stop it! *Mad

@Steve C post above is another way of permanently stopping it but I'm hoping that MS will pull the bad update and that the next CU will work on both Intel and AMD...but then I always was an optimist *chuckle

9. Tony K Win User
  10. VBF
    VBF Win User
  11. Tony K Win User
    Yes, I see you updated the post. I posted that news thread for the warning in it that Brink has highlighted in red. That is all. Just making sure everyone sees that. Perhaps I should've mentioned it.

Thing is too, the kb installed on my older AMD tower. I'm not understanding what would be the difference of one older AMD over another. Not that knowledgeable to know. Must have to do with the BIOS version I would guess.

Tony K, Jan 12, 2018
  12. VBF
    VBF Win User
    *Thumbs Indeed....

I'm having a parallel conversation here Windows OS security update block for some AMD based devices - Page 3 - Windows 10 Forums in which I've said "also This MS article may be worth keeping an eye on."

Thema:

1. KB4056892 Still Received and Bricked an Old AMD PC - Similar Threads - KB4056892 Still Received

2. Why is Windows 10 22H2 update still bricking PC's?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is Windows 10 22H2 update still bricking PC's?: Just had the pleasure of updating to 22H2 to find a PC that would power on and get the Black Screen of Death. Mobo EZ-Debug had the GPU light on but the GPU owrks fine in other PC's and swapping it out with another didn't fix the issue. Stripped it down to barebones 1 Ram...
  3. Why is Windows 10 22H2 update still bricking PC's?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is Windows 10 22H2 update still bricking PC's?: Just had the pleasure of updating to 22H2 to find a PC that would power on and get the Black Screen of Death. Mobo EZ-Debug had the GPU light on but the GPU owrks fine in other PC's and swapping it out with another didn't fix the issue. Stripped it down to barebones 1 Ram...
  4. Update KB4056892 crashes with 0x800f0845

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update KB4056892 crashes with 0x800f0845: After battling for two days with problems in the december update making my graphics card obsolete, all was well for about 2 hours when I noticed the January update. This downloaded and installed and I then rebooted. It got to 30% and then said it was rebooting again. The...
  5. Cumulative Update KB4056892 will not install on Ryzen 7

Cumulative Update KB4056892 will not install on Ryzen 7: My new Ryzen 7 1800x computer w/ ASUS Crosshair VI Hero motherboard will not install Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for X64 based systems (KB4056892). Every time my computer gets restarted, it tries to prepare this update before shutting down, then tries to...
  6. failed to install KB4056892

failed to install KB4056892: I have a Elitebook 2560p and I have a clean install of Windows 10 on it (not officially supported by HP but it works fine without third party driver apart the ones that Windows auto download from Windows update). I have a problem with KB4056892 it fails with the error code...
  7. Windows 10 update KB4056892 will not install

Windows 10 update KB4056892 will not install: Hi there, I'd be grateful for any help anyone may have with this issue. For the past 3 weeks or so, my computer has attempted to update itself to the KB4056829 update and failed every single time. My computer restarts daily in an attempt to download this update during my...
  8. Big problems with update KB4056892

Big problems with update KB4056892: One of my machines is a HP Laptop. This has windows 10 - 64 bit O/S. Build 1709 (build 16299.192. Laptop has a AMD processor. It has updated itself - and keeps trying to install KB4056892. This goes all the way through, until there is a message to restart. Following a...
  9. Still haven't received KB4056892

Still haven't received KB4056892: I'm running Win10 1709 but KB4056892 has not yet been installed. My PC has been on more often than not over the past several days. I only run Windows Defender, and when I checked just now, the cadca5fe-87d3-4b96-b7fb-a231484277cc registry value was already there and set to 0....
  10. Kb4056892 installed then tries to install again

Kb4056892 installed then tries to install again: While using my PC this morning the mouse and keyboard stopped responding. I pressed the Reset key on my machine and it started the restart process. Partially through the restart it said "Unable to install - reverting" After it completed this process, I went to Updates...
Tags: