Windows 10: KDE apps on Windows

Discus and support KDE apps on Windows in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Yea I have tried KDE apps in WSL which is not bad, failing that I just install some distro on an HD on my old machine. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by swarfega, Apr 5, 2018.

1. swarfega Win User

KDE apps on Windows

Yea I have tried KDE apps in WSL which is not bad, failing that I just install some distro on an HD on my old machine.

swarfega, Apr 5, 2018
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Hi folks

This seems an interesting project -- although not for the fainthearted

So much good free software runs on the KDE platform (Plsama-workspace_ on Linux distos) - there's serious some serious effort now in doing KDE ports back into to Windows.

In a way this is rather like a "reverse" of WINE which is a project of running Windows apps on Linux -.

Some of the more "Geeky" ones here might find it interesting to give it a go. Suggest you either try on a VM or a spare system though as it doesn't look at all "Beginner Friendly".

Windows - KDE Community Wiki

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Apr 14, 2018
  3. Juan_Deag Win User
    Dual-Boot

Hello, today i wanted to dual-boot windows and linux mint kde. I was nearly done i had 200GB free space and while installing it failed and deleted windows 10 and everything. Now i just have Linux mint KDE on my USB drive, is there a way to get back win10?
    Thanks.

Juan_Deag, Apr 14, 2018
  4. KDE apps on Windows

Nastavení služby moje rodina

Dobrý den můžu se zeptat kde na stránce nastavení služby moje rodina najdu možnosti Začínáme?Díky

Nokia -709, Apr 14, 2018
  5. swarfega Win User
    I remember trying some of these back when they were first released many years ago. Amarok didn't work well on Windows as there was no sound. Might be different now though.

swarfega, Apr 14, 2018
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there @swarfega

I haven't tried - but it just seemed a sort of interesting project -- hopefully the idea of "Metacode" and coding practices have improved over the years and with the KDE apps you do get source code so in theory should work if you can separate the actual application and data handling from the GUI layer. (Probably something like MVC / Model controller view or similar).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 14, 2018
  7. You can use WSL for all this. Only thing needed to install is a Windows service that acts as a Display Server so you have a place to output all display data.

After this one can run almost any Linux utility with a GUI developed for Debian-architecture straight on Windows and it all runs natively since the Windows 10 kernel supports ELF-binaries natively ever since WSL was introduced.

If that is not enough, then just add all usual Linux development toolchains to your WSL and you can compile pretty much any source into a working binary.

Works like a charm! I tried stuff like GIMP and a few other tool a long time ago. Some tools even run better on WSL than natively on Linux, which is kind of odd, but then again the kernel is minimized and optimized so it also kind of makes sense when you compare it to a default Ubuntu kernel, which is made compatible rather than efficient. *Smile

slicendice, Apr 14, 2018
Thema:

KDE apps on Windows

1. KDE apps on Windows - Similar Threads - KDE apps

2. I converted to Linux KDE 10 years ago and will never return back to Windows.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I converted to Linux KDE 10 years ago and will never return back to Windows.: My first DIY computer build was Windows 98, but seeing Microsoft progress through malware over the years caused me to abandon Windows. My recommendation to anyone who has thrown away their old gear is to give it a new lease of life by using linux. Once you try it, you will...
  3. I converted to Linux KDE 10 years ago and will never return back to Windows.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I converted to Linux KDE 10 years ago and will never return back to Windows.: My first DIY computer build was Windows 98, but seeing Microsoft progress through malware over the years caused me to abandon Windows. My recommendation to anyone who has thrown away their old gear is to give it a new lease of life by using linux. Once you try it, you will...
  4. Why KDE connect software is installing without admin privlease

Why KDE connect software is installing without admin privlease: Dear All,I can see one of the software KDE connect KDE Connect - Microsoft Store Apps can be installed without admin right.We have Admin directory infrastructure and all the users are logging-in their system via normal domain users.I want to block this installation for normal...
  5. Why KDE connect software is installing without admin privlease

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why KDE connect software is installing without admin privlease: Dear All,I can see one of the software KDE connect KDE Connect - Microsoft Store Apps can be installed without admin right.We have Admin directory infrastructure and all the users are logging-in their system via normal domain users.I want to block this installation for normal...
  6. Why KDE connect software is installing without admin privlease

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Kde najdu složku>My places kml<

Kde najdu složku>My places kml<: Kde najdu složku>My places kml< https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/kde-najdu-slo%C5%BEkumy-places-kml/cc0990ad-5088-4427-b507-525d10d74169
  8. Linux VM's - KDE plasma 5.20 available

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Linux VM's - KDE plasma 5.20 available: Hi folks for those trying Linux VM's why not give KDE plasma a try as the GUI (assuming you want a GUI on your Linux VM). Available for most distros . It says beta but the proper release is out. KDE Plasma 5.20 Beta is out. Final Release Next Month. IMO it's the best GUI...
  9. KDE: How to submit an app to the Microsoft Store

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    KDE: How to submit an app to the Microsoft Store: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/aKateDev [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dr1nrm/kde_how_to_submit_an_app_to_the_microsoft_store/
  10. Too much time on my hands today -- KDE apps on Ubuntu on Windows WSL

Too much time on my hands today -- KDE apps on Ubuntu on Windows WSL: Hi folks Too much time I think on my hands today !! That's dangerous for computer users !! Messing around with desktop GUI's on Ubuntu on Windows. Some KDE apps running fine -- KPAT -- all sorts of card patience games Dolphin (KDE file manager like Windows...