Windows 10: Keeping OS installation and software after hardware upgrade

Discus and support Keeping OS installation and software after hardware upgrade in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My PC's motherboard and processor were bought in 2010. I currently have an i3 processor. I am planning to upgrade to i7 with a new motherboard. Is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by archz2, Dec 30, 2017.

1. archz2 Win User

Keeping OS installation and software after hardware upgrade

My PC's motherboard and processor were bought in 2010. I currently have an i3 processor. I am planning to upgrade to i7 with a new motherboard. Is there a way that I don't have to reinstall windows and software after hardware upgrade? I am currently running Windows 10-64 bit (version 1607 build 14393.1944)

:)

archz2, Dec 30, 2017

2. Windows 10 to Windows 10 Pro upgrade is stuck

Upgrading from one OS to another will sometimes cause driver and incompatible third-party software issues. In the previous installation (Windows 10), many registry settings have been modified when installing third-party software. During an upgrade,
    these registry entries are retained, which can cause system issues after upgrading. Therefore, an upgrade install is only recommended for systems that have a simple and clean software environment. (A clean environment means a system with few third-party programs
    and un-signed hardware drivers installed.)

Smittychat., Dec 30, 2017
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    windows 10 version 1703

A clean install is the best way to install an operating system. A clean install correctly performed on compatible hardware always works. By contrast, an upgrade is a cr*pshoot. No current or future computer expert wants to upgrade.

Here are the keys to success (for any operating systemKeeping OS installation and software after hardware upgrade :)

• hardware that is compatible with the OS
    • a clean install
    • updating the OS before installing additional software
    • only software applications that are supported on the OS

To that I would add:

• no configuration changes without thorough research
    • daily backup, including an image backup

This is how the experts do it.

BulldogXX, Dec 30, 2017
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

some of the PRO versions of Macrium / Acronis allow backup to be made and then restore to different hardware --usually works well -- if there are any totally new drivers needed that can't be found after the install then Windows will usually find them after initial boot.

Note though you probably will need to re-activate Windows again --not always a given but probably likely. If you got a retail version of Windows activation can be done by phone - just say got new hardware. Sometimes though even on a Mobo change Windows doesn't require re-activation -- Lottery there !!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 30, 2017
  5. It's quite possible that Windows will be able to detect the new hardware automatically the first time you boot up on the new hardware.

I personally just upgraded an i7-3770 system (from 2012) without doing anything to Windows. When I booted up with the old hard drive Windows detected everything and started up normally.

Edit: I did have to re-activate. The troubleshooter that allows you to link your MS account didn't work (kept saying servers were down) so I had to use the live chat to have customer support fix the activation.

PolarNettles, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Keeping OS installation and software after hardware upgrade - Similar Threads - Keeping installation software

2. Keep windows license after laptop hardware upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Keep windows license after laptop hardware upgrade: Hello guys, Good day! I have a laptop with Windows 10. Due to hardware issues, I need to replace my hard disk with SSD. Is it possible to keep the license? What do I need to do? As far as I know, Windows automatically activates on the same hardware even when reformated....
  3. Hardware Or software

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hardware Or software: Hello guys I have an hcl laptop and it had been working fine until today . when I press some buttons on my laptop I don't know which buttons they are, it is random my laptop continuously beeps and I have to press num lk or ins for five seconds to make it stop . whenever it...
  4. Keeping Windows after hardware upgrades

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Keeping Windows after hardware upgrades: So I am upgrading a pc, everything is being upgraded but I'm keeping the same storage ssd with Windows 10 installed on it. If I boot from that drive after upgrading the other hardware will there be any problems? I want to make sure the license is still active and it works...
  5. software/hardware

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    software/hardware: my system is running a hp laptop on my new min desktop making it run hot system is a intel product help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/softwarehardware/e82fa7e0-aa77-4164-be6a-edf339026dab
  6. OS Installation software

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    OS Installation software: My hard drive became corrupted and unreadable , unbootable. Data recovery was unsuccessful, I'm installing a new HD in the laptop, I bought my laptop from one of your Microsoft stores. Issue is I wasn't provided any installation or backup discs/usb as used to be provided...
  7. Upgrading Windows 10 after installing software to stop upgrades.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading Windows 10 after installing software to stop upgrades.: A friend called in just as I was having Windows 10 problems. He advised me to stop getting uploads as they cause too many problems. I was sure I should do it, but he told I could revert back to getting upgrades if I wished. I wanted to install a new game which needed the...
  8. Where does the OS reside after an upgrade installation ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Where does the OS reside after an upgrade installation ?: This is just something I wondered over. For example... if you take a traditional HDD and install Windows then I believe the OS will reside in a contiguous portion of the drive. So if you had Windows installed on a 100Gb partition and the OS took 20Gb, then the first 20Gb...
  9. Standing OS Hardware Upgrade OK?

Standing OS Hardware Upgrade OK?: Wasn't really sure what to title the thread, but here's what I'm doing, and where it's gone so far.... I took my antiquated Core 2 Quad Q6600 / 8GB DDR2 system and am giving it a pretty huge upgrade. Moving to a Sabertooth X79 with a i7 Hexa-core 3690 CPU, and 16GB DDR3...
  10. System migration hardware, OS and software question

System migration hardware, OS and software question: Hi all Rigs blown (see bottom thread to avoid confusion). Ordered some new components to fit in with the existing rig. Boring Part Existing parts that I am using: Fractal Design R4 Case Samsung SSD850Pro 500 MB O/S Programs/Some program data Barracuda 2TB Drive for...