Windows 10: Keeping W 8 through PC warrantee and beyond.

Discus and support Keeping W 8 through PC warrantee and beyond. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Ok, I've tried to search but there is sooo much to read and I just get confused or sidetracked. I bought an ASUS Zenbook in April with W 8... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Hawgwash, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Hawgwash Win User

Keeping W 8 through PC warrantee and beyond.

Ok, I've tried to search but there is sooo much to read and I just get confused or sidetracked.

I bought an ASUS Zenbook in April with W 8 preinstalled.
    This PC will be under warrantee until April 2016 so I am not going to mess with 10 until at least that date.
    I am happy with 8.1 and it will be supported until 2023.
    W 10 will only be supported for 2 years beyond that.
    Is there any logical reason I should even bother with 10?

MS kept wanting me to install W 10 via Update so I hid it.
    If I fail to install 10 before the 1 year offer is up in July 2016, then what?
    Can I somehow make a copy of 10 on a USB for installation in a couple of years if I decide I want it?

If so how can I do that without it removing W 8?

Simple answers work best for me *Smile

Thanks.

:)

Hawgwash, Oct 14, 2015

2. System thread exception not handled - Windows 10

How do you go through the five steps if the PC keeps restarting every 20 seconds?

W

Wouter van Tiel, Oct 14, 2015
  3. 'Mike P Win User
    I think some one stole my product key

If you have bought a new PC and it wont activate - think I would call the pc manufacturers support phone number & tell them your problem. It came with some kind of warrantee to work - use that warrantee.

'Mike P, Oct 14, 2015
  4. bobkn Win User

You don't get a new license key with the free Win 10 upgrade. To take advantage of the offer, you have to install 10 as an upgrade over a qualifying OS. You can re-install it (including a clean install) after that on the same hardware. (Activation info is retained on the MS servers.)

You could image 8 (Macrium Reflect free), do the 10 upgrade and activate, and then restore 8. You could then re-install 10 at your leisure.

I prefer the Win 10 interface to 8. The integration of the desktop and (the interface formerly known as) Metro is beter. The Win 10 interface isn't fully polished yet, though. Whether "Threshold 2" (November?) will improve things, I don't know.

bobkn, Oct 14, 2015
  5. Hawgwash Win User
    Thank you bobkn.
    I made an 8 Recovery on USB via the installed 8 OS. Is that the same as "Image?"

If I do as you say...install 10 over 8 and activate then reinstall 8 where will I find 10 at my leisure?

I have installed 10 on another older 7 laptop and it is growing on me, slowly.
    I'm only thinking the Zenbook may be retired before 8 expires and at this stage, I'm happy with 8, which surprises me.

Thanks again, you did keep it simple.

Hawgwash, Oct 14, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    The recovery USB you created contains only the factory software. An image contains exactly what you have installed at the time it is done, including all of your documents, music, videos and data.

Windows 10 Media Creation Tool, second option "make for installation on another PC":
    Windows 10

If you don't do an upgrade within the first year, then you will have to pay for Windows 10. If you do the upgrade and even if you go back to Windows 8.1, your Windows 10 activation entitlement is saved on MS activation servers and you can upgrade or clean install Windows 10 for free after that on that same computer, even after the first year.

NavyLCDR, Oct 14, 2015
  7. Hawgwash Win User
    Thank you NavyLCDR.
    A couple points of clarification, please.
    Does "factory software" include the factory installed 10?
    What is the difference between documents and data?
    Is that "upgrade" then done on 8 via some windows update?
    And "clean install" via the image or recovery?

Hawgwash, Oct 14, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Do you mean Windows 10? What did the computer come installed with from the factory? Windows 8 or Windows 10? The program from the factory used to create the restore USB will create it for whatever OS was installed from the factory which you originally posted was Windows 8.

Well, actually, your data includes your documents. So I should have stated other data - like program settings, saved games, etc.

You can use a downloaded ISO file to do the upgrade to Windows 10, you can use the "Upgrade this PC now" option of the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool, or you can wait and hope for Windows Update.

Pure "clean install" means using the installation USB or DVD created usually by Media Creation Tool and installs only the Windows operating system. Using a recovery disc/USB or image will take the computer back to the state it was in when the disc was created - except a recovery USB made from the software provided by the manufacturer will always be the factory fresh software just like the computer came off the shelf at the store. Usually that software will only allow you to create 1 USB or set of recovery DVDs.

NavyLCDR, Oct 14, 2015
  9. spapakons Win User
    As described in this tutorial, you can run a utility included in Windows 10 setup to qualify your computer without actually installing Windows 10. This will create a file GenuineTicket.xml which you can save and use it whenever you like. Any time you decide to upgrade to Windows 10, there is no need to use the update utility, just download the ISO from tutorial and restart your computer to activate. It's a good idea to download the ISO as soon as possible because experience says good links don't last forever. In 2016 Microsoft may have removed the link, so download now to be safe. All ISO can install both Windows 10 Home and Pro depending on your previous Windows version and can be used either for upgrade or clean installation. To see if you have 32-bit or 64-bit Windows right-click on This Computer and select Properties.

spapakons, Oct 14, 2015
  10. Hawgwash Win User
    Sorry. My mistake. The factory install is 8.
    I think you and others have given me enough to read up on and work with.

Hawgwash, Oct 14, 2015
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Until July 28, 2016. After that Windows 10 will have to be purchased anyway if the upgrade was never done prior to that.

NavyLCDR, Oct 14, 2015
  12. Hawgwash Win User
    Thanks everyone.
    NavyLCDR, are you saying that anything I do, including the routine described by spapakons, I will still need to move fro 8 to 10 before July 2016 to get 10 free? In other words, no way to save free 10 for future install?

Hawgwash, Oct 14, 2015
  13. spapakons Win User

Oh, I missed that tiny little detail... So to make sure he can upgrade any time he must clone the disk to a second disk and do the upgrade at least once so his key is registered in Microsoft server. Then he can wipe the second disk, keep using Windows 7 and upgrade any time handy. Alternatively he can do the upgrade just before the deadline. As for warranty there is no excuse that it is not covered because you upgraded to Windows 10! Of course it is, no matter what manufacturer want us to believe! Software never affects hardware, so even if you decided to format your computer and install Linux it is still under warranty! If this is the only reason you hesitate to upgrade, go ahead do it! If they tell you any excuse you can threaten to refer them to Customers Institute (or whatever is called) and they will happily help you. Besides the upgrade is encouraged by all manufacturers and by Microsoft, so why not do it? I have heard before this silly excuse. Manufacturers try to reduce their support cases by discouraging customers to change the preinstalled operating system. But they are obliged to support it as long as it is under warranty, no matter what operating system the user chooses to install. So don't sweat! Go ahead! Do the upgrade.

spapakons, Oct 14, 2015
  14. Hawgwash Win User
    Thanks.

Hawgwash, Oct 14, 2015
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    You will have to do an upgrade before July 2016 to get it for free. But you do not have to stay on Windows 10. When you do the upgrade to Windows 10, your computer's ID is stored on MS servers so that you can go back to Windows 10 any time later for free, even after July 2016.

The easiest, and most risky way to do that is to do the upgrade to Windows 10, make sure it is activated, then just use the revert back to previous OS option to go back to Windows 8.1.

The safer way is to create an actual system backup image using a program like Macrium Reflect Free, then do the upgrade, then revert back. If the revert back fails, you have the system image that you can restore. You will need a second hard drive, either internal or external, to hold your system image backup.

NavyLCDR, Oct 14, 2015
Thema:

1. Keeping W 8 through PC warrantee and beyond. - Similar Threads - Keeping through warrantee

2. Reinstall Win11ProforWorkstation w/o Going Through Upgrade AGAIN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstall Win11ProforWorkstation w/o Going Through Upgrade AGAIN: Bought Workstation laptop/ships with Windows10Home. Upgraded to Windows11ProforWorkstation $$$. Kept up-to-date with ALL Microsoft updates.Now 2.5 years later and I need to refresh the laptop.How to force the refresh to refresh to Win11ProforWorkstations at the latest...
  3. Reinstall Win11ProforWorkstation w/o Going Through Upgrade AGAIN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstall Win11ProforWorkstation w/o Going Through Upgrade AGAIN: Bought Workstation laptop/ships with Windows10Home. Upgraded to Windows11ProforWorkstation $$$. Kept up-to-date with ALL Microsoft updates.Now 2.5 years later and I need to refresh the laptop.How to force the refresh to refresh to Win11ProforWorkstations at the latest...
  4. PC Keeps Typing Numbers Mainly 8 and 2

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC Keeps Typing Numbers Mainly 8 and 2: My PC often glitches out and starts typing random numbers - mostly 8 and 2. I don't know if this is a Windows problem but I know that it's not my keyboard or mouse because I have unplugged them and my PC continues to type these numbers. Also, when this 'glitch' occurs, the...
  5. This PC Is Beyond Your Fantasy!! Take A Look!!

in Windows 10 Support
    This PC Is Beyond Your Fantasy!! Take A Look!!: So you think you have a Rockin PC!! NO! You Don't! This PC is beyond imagination. So if your a geek.. As we are.. you'll drool over this build buy Linus Tech! AKA (LTT) I cut this from the LTT video show cast for a Teaser to the build.. The full video to this amazing build...
  6. Beyond slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Beyond slow: I have a HP laptop that is beyond slow real slow it seems like it sticks when opening sometimes also stutters HP 500 GB HARD DRIVE 4 GB SYSTEM MEMORY I did recovery should run like new but it is beyond slow Submitting this reply takes over 1 min to post...
  7. how to configure w-10 for internet through WIFI

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to configure w-10 for internet through WIFI: My laptop will not go on line using the router. all other devices connect. Jack https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/how-to-configure-w-10-for-internet-through-wifi/50b40946-b112-4f03-b25e-9243052736ee
  8. Dell Black Screen w/logo at start-up can't go beyond

in Windows 10 Support
    Dell Black Screen w/logo at start-up can't go beyond: Hi; I have a Dell XPS 8700 this is the second time this has happened I get a Black screen with the Dell logo at start-up, and the computer won't go beyond this. Pressing F12 don't do anything, I can't get into BIOS. The first time they replaced the Main Logic board, It...
  9. Upgrade to W 10 from W 8 NOT W 8.1

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade to W 10 from W 8 NOT W 8.1: I have a silly problem. I run W 8 on my desktop computer but have never been able to upgrade to W 8.1 as I have never been able to open Windows Store, despite multiple solutions none of which have worked. The only solution of reinstalling W 8 has not appealed! I am happy with...
  10. Restore W-10 from W-8 MFG restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore W-10 from W-8 MFG restore: Lenovo Yoga 13 that came with W-8 Had to do a restore to MFG, Windows 8. Can I download a W-10 iso and reinstall W-10??? Please Pretty please Desperate to get rid of 8. Also, have Insider Preview on other machine so I'm registered there. Figure if I can install the 10,...