Windows 10: Keeps asking "How do you want to open this file" when opening an image

Discus and support Keeps asking "How do you want to open this file" when opening an image in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; This problem happen after April 2018 Update After I check "Always use this app to open .jpg files" and click OK.The same dialog box pops again and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by akkha, May 17, 2018.

1. akkha Win User

Keeps asking "How do you want to open this file" when opening an image

This problem happen after April 2018 Update

After I check "Always use this app to open .jpg files" and click OK.The same dialog box pops again and again

This phenomena will only appear when I try to open any image files from applications: Thunderbird and uTorrent

***But no problem at all when I open from Desktop and File Explorer!***

*also no problem with any other files type

Keeps asking "How do you want to open this file" when opening an image [​IMG]

Keeps asking "How do you want to open this file" when opening an image [​IMG]

Thank You
    --------------------------
    My specs: Core i7-6700 | Gigabyte H170-D3HP (BIOS F20g) | Kingston Hyper-X 2133 (4GBX2) | SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | Windows10 Pro (1803) *All drivers are up to date

:)

akkha, May 17, 2018

2. how do you want to open this file

How to Fix: Windows 10 Keeps Asking: 'How do you want to open this file?'
    To avoid seeing the message "How do you want to open this file?", you will need to specify the program you want to use as the default, then make Windows 10 remember that file association permanently so it doesn't keep asking you "How do you want to open
    this file?".

To do so:

• Open a file which invokes the
      "How do you want to open this file?" window.
    • Scroll through the list of programs in the list available to you. If you don't see the correct program, scroll all the way down the list until you see a link which reads: "Look
      for another app on this PC
      ". You will then need to manually scroll through your "c:\program files" or "c:\program files (x86)" directory(s) to choose the appropriate program. Once that has been done, you will be taken back to the "How do you want to open
      this file?" window.

NOTE: if you scrolled through the "How do you want to open this file?" file list AND the "c:\program files" AND "c:\program files (x86)" directories AND you
      still don't see the proper program you want associated with your file: you may need to launch your web browser, then download and reinstall the appropriate program. For example: if I am trying to open a .PDF file and I want to use Foxit Reader as the
      default program, but Foxit Reader does not appear to be installed, then I would have to go online and search for Foxit Reader, download it, then reinstall it. Usually reinstalling a program will automatically reinstate its file association(s).
    • One you have selected your default program, scroll all the way down the "How do you want to open this file?" window, and (!important!) check mark the box that says: "Always
      use this app to open [filename extension] files
      " (pic). Doing this last step will prevent Windows 10 from repeatedly asking you: "How do you want to open this file?"
    Other Ways to Set File Associations in Windows 10
    There are two other ways you can set file associations in Windows 10.

• Click Start, then type in "default programs" (no
      quotes), then scroll through the list and set the program. The only problem with this method is that you won't get the option to "Look for another app on this PC" if you don't see the program you're looking for. As such you might want to try option #2 below.
    • Another way to set a file association is to browse the file using Windows Explorer, then right click the file, then select

"Open With" option
      (pic) and then either select from the list of available choices, or select the option "Choose another app." In the latter option, you will then need to manually locate the program manually using Windows Explorer. If you still can't find
      the correct program to be associated with tie file, then you may need to launch your web browser, download the program and reinstall it.
    I hope that helps.Mark this as answer if it helps

Mech Vivek, May 18, 2018
  3. How to stop system from keep asking "How do you want to open this file?"

Whenever I open a file, currently it is more frequent in image files, from a program, say chrome, it always ask me, "How do you want to open this file?" By default, I have selected Windows Photo viewer. It keeps asking me if I want to switch to photos.

Yes, I have tried switching to photos, the pop-up still appears. Please don't suggest selecting "Always use this app to open .jpg files". Pretty obvious that I have tried that too.

The thing is when I open a jpg file directly, you know by clicking on file in explorer, it does not show this prompt. It only shows prompt when I open it via another program. Ex. I have downloaded a jpg file in chrome, I go to the downloads and click on
    the filename to open the file. Then the window will ask to change my choice of my default image viewer.

Windows 10 Home Edition. I am smart but not 'tinker with the registry' smart. I mean I can do that but I don't want to do that.

Will Microsoft help?

jimhowlett, May 18, 2018
Thema:

Keeps asking "How do you want to open this file" when opening an image

1. Keeps asking "How do you want to open this file" when opening an image - Similar Threads - Keeps asking open

2. how do you want to open this file?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how do you want to open this file?: every day at 8:00 PM i get a pop up how do you want to open this file? its very annoying how do i get it to stop showing up every day submitted by /u/JamesLPYT [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/v5q11h/how_do_you_want_to_open_this_file/
  3. How do you want to open this file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do you want to open this file: Hello all, Earlier I installed WPS and then I uninstalled it later. But some of it's files are still in the PC which is very annoying. For better reference to the problem I am attaching the screenshot. [ATTACH]...
  4. How do you want to open this file?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do you want to open this file?: Every time after booting my desktop, this "How do you want to open this file?" message appears. I have no clue, what kind of file this message talking about. Help me out.[IMG]...
  5. How do you want to open this file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do you want to open this file: when i try to open .cfg file it asks me every time "How do you want to open this file", i set notepad and it don't save this app as the application in which it must to open. And whey i again try to open this .cfg file windows again asks me "How do you want to open this...
  6. Opening JPG or PNG files in Excel 365; keeps asking me " How do you want to open"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Opening JPG or PNG files in Excel 365; keeps asking me " How do you want to open": Why does excel keep asking me how I want to open JPG files? If I use GIF, it just opens them right away. Use JPG, it asks me every time even when I select "Always use this app to open JPG file" If I open the jpg through windows explorer, it opens right away. My default...
  7. Skype Keeps asking 'How do you want to open this file?'

Skype Keeps asking 'How do you want to open this file?': Every time I go to open a pic from Skype IM it asks me what app to open the file with. The problem there is no check box in the list of apps to say always use this app, so it asks every single time. Gets annoying after the first time. *Smile 21529
  8. "How do you want to open this file?"

"How do you want to open this file?": This pops up on my computer randomly, but generally every 5 to 10 minutes. It disappears on mouse click, but is annoying. Especially if in the middle of some work. See the attached screen shot. I have read through many posts regarding a variation of this popup that includes...
  9. How do you want to open this file ?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    How do you want to open this file ?: When ever I try to download a program and I was an exe. file I never just get a run button so I can simply install the program but a box pops up saying "how do you want to open this file? " with the options of: Internet Explorer Notepad Office XML Handler Paint Windows...
  10. Stop asking How do you want to open this file

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Stop asking How do you want to open this file: This happens a lot. I double-click a file to open and a popup windows appears asking How do you want to open this file? It already has the program associated with it highlighted, but I still have to check the box to Always use this program and then click OK. These are...