Windows 10: Kernel memory leaking Intel processor design flaw

Discus and support Kernel memory leaking Intel processor design flaw in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; no updates still stuck on .125 It hasn't reached Windows Update servers yet, but the standalone package is available now on the Microsoft Update... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Bree New Member

Kernel memory leaking Intel processor design flaw

It hasn't reached Windows Update servers yet, but the standalone package is available now on the Microsoft Update Catalog, link is in first post here...

Cumulative Update KB4056892 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.192

2. squaleca Win User

yea i know i just found it thanks
    how come the notes for the update say nothing about fixing the flaw??

squaleca, Jan 3, 2018
  3. squaleca Win User
    After

Kernel memory leaking Intel processor design flaw [​IMG]
    Intel Core i7-2640M
    3,461 User benchmarks - Average bench 41%
    CPU, 1 CPU, 2 cores, 4 threads
    Base clock 2.8 GHz, turbo 3.3 GHz (avg)

Performing above expectations (68th percentile)

47.3%Average SC Int 71.8
    SC Float 76.2
    SC Mixed 80.6

61% 76.2 Pts QC Int 210
    QC Float 210
    QC Mixed 221

48% 214 Pts MC Int 207
    MC Float 215
    MC Mixed 216

32% 213 Pts before

Kernel memory leaking Intel processor design flaw [​IMG]
    Intel Core i7-2640M
    3,461 User benchmarks - Average bench 41%
    CPU, 1 CPU, 2 cores, 4 threads
    Base clock 2.8 GHz, turbo 3.3 GHz (avg)

Performing as expected (54th percentile)

44.7%Average SC Int 83.2
    SC Float 83.4
    SC Mixed 84.4

67% 83.7 Pts QC Int 179
    QC Float 196
    QC Mixed 196

43% 190 Pts MC Int 197
    MC Float 201
    MC Mixed 200

30% 199 Pts whooo i gained performance obviously not b/c of the patch but it doesnt look like it has any impact on performance???

squaleca, Jan 3, 2018
  4. johngalt Win User

See the following quotations from earlier in the thread

It's not rocket science, but before you go believing all the hype, it would help if you actually did more reading than what so-called modern journalists (aka bloggers) put out over the wires.

For a good,thorough understanding of what they vulnerabilities are and are not, go directly to the sources:

Meltdown: https://meltdownattack.com/meltdown.pdf

Spectre: https://spectreattack.com/spectre.pdf

And, just to make it a bit more easy to glean (since both of those papers get really technical really quickly), here is a transcription of a post I made in another forum:

OK, here is some more analysis and opinion from me.

First off, Meltdown - also known as http://www.cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cve...name=2017-5754

Notice the reserve date? Yeah, 1 Feb 2017 - a year ago. While the disclaimer is right there saying that it doesn't necessarily reflect the discovery date, you can bet your bottom dollar that no company is gonna reserve a CVE that doesn't exist. Plus, this came to more light around July or August, and was brushed off back then as well.

Second, one of the earlier links posted (I think) made a direct mention of a patch being issues for ARM devices, but that the authors did not know anything else about the patch. That right there got me digging deeper as well.

This is not going to end well for chipmakers for 2018. Not well at all.

First, let's tackle Meltdown - it's been under scrutiny for more than a year now. From the research paper on it: https://meltdownattack.com/meltdown.pdf

I knew that at least part of the new buzz from last week was regarding this issue I had already read about, twice, in fact, both last year, once early and again around July or August. And it gets tricky, quickly, because of this:

This is not good stuff at all. But it gets worse. Spectre is way, way worse. From the Spectre paper: https://spectreattack.com/spectre.pdf

Uh, that pretty much covers everything. Everything from computers to PDAs to cell phones to IoT devices to cloud servers to you name it.

And the solution?

Yeah, probably gonna be putting off my build as long as possible now. If re-imagining the CPU can happen in an appropriate timeline to eliminate this type of a vulnerability (but who is to say that, in trying to work around this one, hey don't create one that is much worse?).

So, basically, we're screwed if this ever makes it into the dark web - which it just did.

And this sums it all up:

Let the games begin.

johngalt, Jan 3, 2018
  5. Steve C Win User
    I wonder how long the intelligence agencies have known about these flaws and have been exploiting them - I guess we will never know. I never store passwords on my PC and keep the OS fully up to date so my password security is as good as it can be.. How secure really and the banks and other firms holding sensitive data given these flaws / bugs keep surfacing?

Steve C, Jan 3, 2018
  6. eddward Win User
    eddward, Jan 3, 2018
  7. johngalt Win User
    No, it was disclosed to Intel then. The associated CVE was reserved in February, and the Meltdown PDF shows that researchers were already working on the bug to verify it back in 2016.

johngalt, Jan 3, 2018
  8. eddward Win User

So it is not the same ? "disclosed to Intel" and "when Intel first knew about this" ?

eddward, Jan 3, 2018
  9. dencal Win User
    dencal, Jan 3, 2018
  10. Faith Win User
    Why are AMD mentioned very rarely in articles? I only read Intel this and Intel that, but according to the Meltown.com AMD is also affected by Spectre: Or is this kernel memory a completely different horse*Redface

And Meltdown is not completely ruled out for AMD:

Is Intel in the spotlight because they will be hit the hardest in terms of performance with these patches? I did a few benchmark on my PC (Haswell) using Crystaldisk to see how the I/O is affected, and the only degradation I saw was in the 4KBQ1 test for writing. Not sure how this will affect much. I will try and launch a few games later aswell that's cache and CPU heavy and see how they fair.

Faith, Jan 3, 2018
  11. markg2 Win User
    Absent specific performance hits relative to the Intel processor installed, I've disabled the Windows 10 update service on my oldest laptop (core 2 T 7500 @ 2.2Ghz). I'm now thinking about doing the same for our other machines.

I thought I read that these OS patches were temporary pending Intel coming up with a more clever fix that doesn't take a (presumed) hammer to performance.

Mark

markg2, Jan 3, 2018
  12. pzhndal Win User
    i think the original el reg article was talking more about meltdown which is mostly an intel thing. intel talks about everyone getting hit but that's more about spectre

pzhndal, Jan 3, 2018
  13. lx07 Win User

Because the bug is in Intel CPU.

If MS put the same style of fix as Linux did then you'll be hit by the performance degradation (if any) irrespective of whether you use Intel or AMD as the fix (in Linux kernel anyway) doesn't differentiate.

14. clam1952 Win User
    clam1952, Jan 3, 2018
  15. lx07 Win User
    Interesting, thanks. Seems I was wrong about it being Intel only.

It is certainly a confusing state of affairs.

Thema:

1. Kernel memory leaking Intel processor design flaw - Similar Threads - Kernel memory leaking

2. Memory Leak

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Memory Leak: Hello,I have 2 different values of RAM reflected in 2 tabs of the task managerbut the same percentage, I want to know why, and if I need to do something to fix it.So from the two screenshots I took you can clearly see that my real usage of memory is 4795.2 MB, but the memory...
  3. Memory Leak

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Memory Leak: Hello,I have 2 different values of RAM reflected in 2 tabs of the task managerbut the same percentage, I want to know why, and if I need to do something to fix it.So from the two screenshots I took you can clearly see that my real usage of memory is 4795.2 MB, but the memory...
  4. Old kernel and memory leaks.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Old kernel and memory leaks.: Hi,Lately, my pc has been having a lot of memory leaks, and many other bugs. I'm tired of constant problems that Microsoft refuses to fix. I've heard that Windows has been using the same NT kernel since 1993. Why? Why not just upgrade it, or even use something like the Linux...
  5. Memory Leak

Memory Leak: I have noticed that even in an idle state, the task manager reports 80% or more memory usage. I have 16GB of RAM. I cannot find what is causing this memory leak. What can I do to solve this. Please help me....
  6. Memory leak?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Memory leak?: Hello. As the title states, my pc idles at around 2gb (mostly 1,8-1,9gb). Tried resetting, updating windows, drivers , nothing helps. What could be the issue? Edit1: Opening discord adds another 1 GB. Opening league of legends adds 2 GBs. (Game runs on very low capped on 60...
  7. Memory leak

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Memory leak: Since long, i don't know long... i have been having high memory usage on my computer, from version 1909 to 2004. I can't see any process with high usage on Task Manager, so I searched and searched for the solution and tried the basic solution, Disable Superfetch (SysMain),...
  8. Memory Leaks

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Memory Leaks: Hi, After contacting the vendor of my software, I was informed that I had a memory leak and that this was the reason why my PC crashes when using the game/software. Can anyone help me on fixing this memory leak? Below are the files retrieved from me to prove there is a...
  9. is this memory leak?

is this memory leak?: [ATTACH] Please see my paged pool and non paged pool. This is the screenshot after I restarted my laptop and directly go to the task manager to see memory. and i found this. Is this possible? And then I download media creation from Microsoft and reinstall the window but...
  10. High memory usage / Memory leak caused by Intel driver

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    High memory usage / Memory leak caused by Intel driver: Hello, I'm running a 64 bit Windows 10 laptop. On idle, the System process is showing a high memory usage of more than 150 MB, usually more than 200 MB. Using poolmon the pooltag SpDN showed up with a memory leak. It leads to the Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver,...