Windows 10: Kernel security check failure BSOD (intermittent -ish)

Discus and support Kernel security check failure BSOD (intermittent -ish) in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi there, I recently started having a whole bunch of BSOD's with the KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE error. I had these as I was attempting to use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by bsquared, Jan 6, 2016.

1. bsquared Win User

Kernel security check failure BSOD (intermittent -ish)

Hi there,

I recently started having a whole bunch of BSOD's with the KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE error.

I had these as I was attempting to use my laptop while I was burning DVDs (I burned about 20 or so over the last 3 days). This error happened maybe 5 or 6 times over those few days. This error happened most times on A/C power but once on battery power.

I have also had this crash occur while using photoshop on battery power (and while burning DVD's).

If using photoshop on battery power, I sometimes get BSOD's with the error DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. And this was often when I wasn't doing anything else on the computer.

I used the tool (as instructed in this forum) to create the required files for posting. I have attached two of them as I believe one may be invalid. The minidump file is fairly large (over 700 MB), so I believe this may be why it isn't attaching correctly...

Some reading I have done on the Internet shows this to potentially be an Nvidia driver/service/something problem. I am planning on uninstalling my graphics drivers + software and then reinstalling them, to see if that fixes the issue...

Any thoughts?

:)

bsquared, Jan 6, 2016

2. STOP CODE

can anyone help I get orange screen on start up then once I get onto web I get intermittent crash with following message.

kernel security check failure

albertjohnson307, Jan 6, 2016
  3. After "Kernel Security Check Failure" error, one application got incredibly slow

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the description, I understand that you are getting kernel security check failure error.

I would suggest you to refer to the suggestions by Vinodh_Kumar V replied on October 24, 2015 and check if that helps.

Kernel security check failure BSOD on Windows 10

Hope this information helps. Please let us know if you need any other assistance with Windows in future. We will be happy to assist you.

Mayank Gupta10, Jan 6, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

Check C:\Windows\Minidump\ for the most recent files, select them, right click > copy > zip and upload the zip.

Daemon tools, Alcohol 120% and Power Archiver Pro uses SCSI Pass Through Direct (SPTD), which is a well known cause for BSOD's.
    Please remove Daemon Tools and run the SPTD pass through remover.

• Uninstall Daemon Tools
    • Download the SPTD standalone installer and follow these steps:
      • Double click the executable to open it
      • Click on the button shown below

Kernel security check failure BSOD (intermittent -ish) [​IMG]

If the button is grayed out, like in the image, there is no more SPTD installation on your system, and you can close the window

axe0, Jan 7, 2016
  5. bsquared Win User
    Hi axe0! Thanks for your response!

A few things to say here:

While Daemon tools is installed on my computer, I usually don't install SPTD. Additionally, I do not allow Daemon tools to start on boot.

Nevertheless I will use this remover to see if it is installed and remove it if necessary.

The minidump file is quite large (even in zipped format it's over 200 MB). As a result, I am posting a dropbox link to it right here. Referring to the first post of this thread that I made, this minidump was generated when the computer crashed on boot. So I am not 100% sure if it it will be the same error as the previous crashes (which occurred when I was already logged in and doing stuff).

As an "aside" - what program do you use to view the minidump files, and how can we extract the error messages from them?

Thanks *Smile

bsquared, Jan 7, 2016
  6. axe0 New Member
    About Daemon tools, Daemon tools has drivers that are poorly written.
    Daemon tools drivers are known for causing bluescreens in Windows 7, because of the poorly written drivers.
    I have no doubt that it may cause bluescreens in Windows 10 too.

A minidump file isn't large, usually about a 100-200KB, if you mean the folder then remove the oldest files and try it again.
    Unfortunately I can't download large files without corruption or errors of aborting the download, don't know why.

axe0, Jan 7, 2016
  7. bsquared Win User
    Doesn't seem to be the problem here. I downloaded the SPTD standalone installer as you had suggested, and the "uninstall" option was greyed out. So this isn't installed (as I had made sure of when I installed Daemon tools the first time *Biggrin )

Okay one thing: I just got another crash happening. Same as before, while I had Photoshop open and it crashed with same Kernel_security_check_failure error. So Photoshop is definitely related in some way. The computer doesn't seem to like high disc/CPU activity while it is open. This is what leads to the crash most times (previously this only happened on battery but now it's on A/C power as well)

The memory dump file (located in C:/Windows) is over 11 GB - I've attached a screenshot as proof. Maybe this is so large because I have set Windows to do complete memory dumps so I can get more information when the problem happens (like is just did).

There is a .dmp file in the C:\Windows\Minidump directory but it's quite small. Have attached it separately here (in another zip file), as well a 2nd .zip file created using the tool

Sorry if I sound so frustrated. This problem has been happening only when photoshop is in the picture (no pun intended), and I use this program a lot......so it's a bit annoying....

bsquared, Jan 11, 2016
  8. axe0 New Member

The memory.dmp isn't the files I meant, in my first post I mentioned 'Check C:\Windows\Minidump\'

This isn't specific to the SPTD, but to many drivers which is why I wrote drivers *Wink

I mentioned it is small, a few 100KB.
    I would recommend to set the memory dump to kernel dump.
    A complete memory dump contains both kernel and user mode stuff, however the user mode stuff is useless because it can never cause any crash and for that it is a waste of 10GB in your case.

Please uninstall or update your partition tool
    Driver Reference Table - pwdrvio.sys

Please uninstall ASUS software

Please update/reinstall/remove the following drivers/software
    Driver Reference Table - RimSerial_AMD64.sys
    Driver Reference Table - Rt630x64.sys
    Driver Reference Table - RTKVHD64.sys

9. bsquared Win User
    Before saying what steps I have done thus far (since my last post), I wanted to point out some stuff about the crashes occuring on boot (when they happen):
    - they are quite random (I can't predict when they take place)
    - it happens if the screen "flashes" right after the BIOS logo

Now for removing stuff:

I am not sure why the minitool partition thing is still showing up. I had uninstalled this a month ago or so.

Blackberry software -.....Okay for now I have removed this

Asus software - have uninstalled a few of these

Realtek - the built-in card reader won't function without that driver (so I haven't removed it), but I removed the audio driver for now

Other stuff I tried:
    - virus scan (revealed nothing)
    - malware scans using Spybot and Malwarebytes (both revealed nothing)
    - disk defrag
    - memory diagnostic (using windows memory diagnostic tool on boot)
    - windows disk check

None of the above checkes/tools revealed any issues

Another thought:
    I have heard once that some laptop manufacturers have said to use their graphics drivers instead of those provided by the OEM of the graphics cards. For the Nvidia graphics card in the laptop, I am using the driver provided by Nvidia (not the one provided by Asus for this laptop). Would this potentially be causing this BSOD crash issue?

bsquared, Jan 15, 2016
  10. axe0 New Member
    Normally laptop manufacturers alter the provided drivers, because of this the laptop users are forced to install the drivers the manufacturer provides. It is possible to install other drivers, but then you can expect that the drivers won't function 100%.
    This is the reason why it is recommended to only install the drivers provided by the manufacturer, unless the manufacturer doesn't alter the drivers but I haven't seen that happen.

Graphics drivers are one of the drivers that is very often causing bluescreens when bluescreens occur. I can't say for a 100% that the graphics drivers are causing the crashes, but I can say there is a pretty chance.

11. bsquared Win User
    N.B. - I turned my laptop on and once again got a BSOD on boot. Should I re-run that tool again and post the results here?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I uninstalled all Nvidia-related stuff, including:
    - graphics card driver
    - PhysX software
    - GeForce experience

I thought back to when I had updated the graphics card driver to the version that it was at (before I just uninstalled it) , and it was just before Christmas. I didn't use my laptop much over the holiday time for photoshop or anything, but as soon as January hit, I used my laptop (and photoshop) quite heavily. That's when these issues started. So I strongly suspect this issue to be linked to the graphics card driver (the newest version of it).

So I installed the previous version of the graphics card driver (not the Asus version of the driver, Nvidia's version from their site), with a clean install. I did NOT install GeForce experience or the PhysX software (as I don't think I need either of those). I also removed some other programs I'm not really using on my computer right now.

Restarted a few times (using "shutdown" not "restart", since I am aware of how Windows 8 and 10 handle this difference). So far no BSOD's on boot (rebooted this way 2-3 times both on A/C power and on battery). Will see how it does with Photoshop or other applications that were previously causing crashes...

bsquared, Jan 17, 2016
  12. axe0 New Member
    Yep *Smile

13. bsquared Win User

Here's the dump file from the crash 2 days ago
    (the comp crashed on boot).

I didn't run the tool provided for this sub-forum as I've run that twice now...

Haven't made any major changes to my comp since last post (where I uninstalled all Nvidia-related stuff and installed the downgraded driver...)

bsquared, Jan 19, 2016
  14. axe0 New Member
    If you want proper help I suggest to run the tool when you want to upload dumps *Smile
    Note that there are many users, pretty much everyone, who upload those zips several times to help us help them.

15. bsquared Win User
    .....okay fair enough.

Here is the full .zip file with the newest .dmp file from the crash (on boot) on Jan 18thAttachment 59844

bsquared, Jan 20, 2016
Thema:

1. Kernel security check failure BSOD (intermittent -ish) - Similar Threads - Kernel security check

2. BSOD Kernel Security Check Failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD Kernel Security Check Failure: I have been getting multiple BSODs with different error codes however Kernel Security Check Failure is the most common one it all started after playing a game and my pc would just turn off randomly so i updated my gpu drivers then shortly after that i then started to get the...
  3. BSOD Kernel Security Check Failure

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD Kernel Security Check Failure: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1shdaI70dQ45G3LinLdR4W9YuhHRFt7Ur?usp=sharingRecently I got a few BSOD that I didn't know what caused those errors, could you please check these BSOD reports and tell me what caused the error and how I fix them?The most recent is the...
  4. BSOD with Kernel Security Check Failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD with Kernel Security Check Failure: Please help me to solve this problem with BSOD, I caught this error several times, below info of the error: Problem signature Problem Event Name: BlueScreen Code: 139 Parameter 1: 3 Parameter 2: ffffa78ddecf6f70 Parameter 3: ffffa78ddecf6ec8 Parameter 4: 0 OS version:...
  5. BSOD with Kernel Security Check Failure

BSOD with Kernel Security Check Failure: Please help me to solve this problem with BSOD, I caught this error several times, below info of the error: Problem signature Problem Event Name: BlueScreen Code: 139 Parameter 1: 3 Parameter 2: ffffa78ddecf6f70 Parameter 3: ffffa78ddecf6ec8 Parameter 4: 0 OS version:...
  6. BSOD kernel security check failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD kernel security check failure: hii am getting bsod these days, and i didnt get a chance to take a picture of the bsod. however i saw a kernel security check failure below.i went to event viewer to have a look and this is what i got:please kindly help with providing a solution. thanks....
  7. BSOD Kernel Security Check Failure

BSOD Kernel Security Check Failure: Please help! Been having BSOD recurring frequently. I have the analyzed minidump file from the crashes today. It is a Kernel Security Check Failure. KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE 139A kernel component has corrupted a critical data structure. The corruptioncould potentially...
  8. BSOD Kernel Security Check Failure

BSOD Kernel Security Check Failure: Please analyze this for me thank you https://1drv.ms/u/s!Amnc9jXg-jkcasMHT45_Cw-OH5c?e=eGrOCn https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bsod-kernel-security-check-failure/cce9b940-dff4-404a-b152-0387385d191d
  9. BSOD Kernel security check failure

BSOD Kernel security check failure: Hello ! I would be very grateful if you can help me with my problem. I need to know what causes BSOD screen on my system. The message was Kernel security check failure I shared in Google drive the minidump and system information file created with the last BSOD. I...
  10. Bsod: "kernel-security-check-failure"

Bsod: "kernel-security-check-failure": Hello everyone! I've exhausted all of my options and am turning to the knowledgeable people here for some help. Lately, I've noticed a severe dip in performance on my brand new LENOVO Y 50-70. I've also been experiencing BSODs with the same error each time. There's no true...