Windows 10: Key Mapping Weirdness

Discus and support Key Mapping Weirdness in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am having a very odd problem with a brand new laptop which installed Windows 10 when I powered it up. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 15. Because... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by RhinoCan, Dec 24, 2015.

1. RhinoCan Win User

Key Mapping Weirdness

I am having a very odd problem with a brand new laptop which installed Windows 10 when I powered it up. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 15.

Because I'm in Canada, someone, presumably the government, decided that all computers sold in Canada had to have a uniquely Canadian keyboard that replaces the traditional wide Left Shift key with two keys: a narrow Left Shift and then a new key containing backslash and vertical bar and right and left guillemot (the symbols used in French for quotations), which sits between the Left Shift and the Z. You probably won't be surprised to hear that I have no use whatever for this new key and that my baby finger inevitably hits that key instead of the Left Shift when I want to capitalize on the left side of the keyboard.

The normal solution to that is to use a program like Sharp Keys to remap the new key so that it is a second Left Shift key, meaning I can hit *either* the "real" Left Shift or the remapped key to get a Left Shift. That worked perfectly for me in Windows 7 and 8. It ALMOST works in Windows 10 too with one critical exception: some of the keys on my keyboard do NOT shift when I use the remapped key, although they shift fine when I use the "real" Left Shift. The keys that won't shift with the remapped key are: X, S, W, and 2/@. When I use the remapped key with any of those 4 keys, no character prints at all, not even just the lower case version of the key. All the other keys seem just fine with either Left Shift.

I'm completely baffled. Have I got a defect in my keyboard? Or some kind of odd bug in the Sharp Keys program? I'm leaning toward the latter but have no idea how to proceed.

My typing speed is not great at the best of times but it falls dramatically if I can't get that stupid unwanted key to turn into a Left Shift that works with EVERY key, not just most of them.

Any suggestions?

:)

RhinoCan, Dec 24, 2015

2. Media Key stop working after firmware update on 5530

don't know.

it's really weird, when i tried to install Nokia Maps on my phone using the Ovi Suite, it updated something on my phone. The media key is working now.

stray_tachyon---01, Dec 24, 2015
  3. Entegy Win User
    Windows maps doesnt sync with Bing maps

It seems that the Bing Maps website does not sync the favourite data the Bing Maps apps do. Weird.

Entegy, Dec 24, 2015
Thema:

Key Mapping Weirdness

1. Key Mapping Weirdness - Similar Threads - Key Mapping Weirdness

2. Weird Registry Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Weird Registry Key: There's a registry key called "tmp_auto_file". I'm unaware if this is a windows registry key, and it's not a product of anything I intentionally installed. I know this because another computer that has all my same apps and games does not have the key at all, and I looked at...
  3. Weird Registry Key

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Weird Registry Key: There's a registry key called "tmp_auto_file". I'm unaware if this is a windows registry key, and it's not a product of anything I intentionally installed. I know this because another computer that has all my same apps and games does not have the key at all, and I looked at...
  4. Key are getting weird

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Key are getting weird: when i try to press something but something else is clicked? why is it happening after update i even tried virtual key board same. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/key-are-getting-weird/efbd5223-96a1-405d-a143-dbacb644fffb
  5. Mapping Keys That Don't Exist

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mapping Keys That Don't Exist: Is it possible to ghost map keys into software without them being physically present? Currently I have a full size keyboard but may go the compact route. However I have numpad keys mapped to my Logitech gameboard and I don't want to lose those binds. Maybe I can use software...
  6. m key mapped to paste?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    m key mapped to paste?: Hello!For a while now, my "m" key wouldn't work unless I do caps lock with shift m. Today I have found out that the basic m key has remapped itself to the paste somehow. I have no idea how this has happened, and I also don't know how to fix it. Is there any way for me to...
  7. Windows key not mapped properly

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows key not mapped properly: My windows key does not open the start menu, instead it seems to be linked to my media player or something as when I press it, it pauses/stops whatever YouTube video I have playing. I've tried the keyboard troubleshooter but nothing came up, anyone know what's going on?...
  8. Microsoft Keyboard Key Mapping

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microsoft Keyboard Key Mapping: Good Morning All, I recently replaced my old keyboard Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 with a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Palm Rest Comfort Keyboard for Business - Wired It seemed to be the newer version and I believe they stopped making my old keyboard. So...
  9. Weird Key Functions

in Windows 10 Customization
    Weird Key Functions: Hi. I have come across a strange thing happening on my PC. When I use some letter keys on my keyboard ('s', 'y' & 'a') the sound on my PC toggles on and off. I am not pressing any other keys at the same time, just these keys by themselves. It is most obvious when typing....
  10. ctrl key mapped to many keys

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ctrl key mapped to many keys: Hello, So I have this weird problem with my Laptop keyboard. The control key is mapped to many other keys, I knw that because I did an online keyboard tester and everytime I press ctrl other keys get activated/pressed. Is this a hardware problem or can the ctrl be...