Windows 10: Keyboard and mouse not recognized after boot-up!

Discus and support Keyboard and mouse not recognized after boot-up! in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; This morning, after booting up my Dell XPS desktop, I discovered that neither the keyboard nor the mouse was recognized by Windows: There was no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by devnull, Feb 17, 2018.

1. devnull Win User

Keyboard and mouse not recognized after boot-up!

This morning, after booting up my Dell XPS desktop, I discovered that neither the keyboard nor the mouse was recognized by Windows: There was no response whatsoever from either my Logitech wireless keyboard or wireless mouse. I have verified that both the keyboard and the mouse are functional on my wife's PC (which I'm using now). Multiple shutdowns/boots, via the PC's power button*, have not fixed the problem.

I've never had this problem before. I've not made any recent software or hardware changes to the PC, although Windows did update my PC about two days ago, I think. I wonder if that's the source of this problem.

*Re the power button shutdown, I've noticed something that I've never noticed before about this shutdown using the power button--the PC shuts down immediately, without the usual ~10 sec delay. When did Microsoft or Dell make this change?

Running Windows 10 (64-bit), version 1709 on Dell XPS desktop.

Thanks---
    George

:)

devnull, Feb 17, 2018

2. Will Windows 10 recognize my external keyboard and mouse upon first boot?

My laptop's internal keyboard and trackpad are both broken and I've been using an external keyboard and mouse on Windows 7. I'm wondering if Windows 10 will recognize my external keyboard and mouse upon first booting up.

Steve Lee28, Feb 17, 2018
  3. Rwhunt12 Win User
    windows 10 keyboard and mouse not working after the upgrade

So, if the keyboard or mouse isn't working how are you able to use the keyboard???? My issue is the computer on boot up recognizes there is a keyboard and mouse and another usb drive connected but the windows screen comes on and there is no way to interact
    with Windows, It is probably a driver issue, but windoes is not loading them and I don't know how to get to the safe mode screen on boot up like in Win7

Rwhunt12, Feb 17, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, have you checked your Device Manager for yellow triangles for those devices? Are drivers installed?

If they are, check if they have been recently updated in Device Manager.
    Check if you have the option to roll back the driver.

Please post a screenshot of your Update History - to which update are you referring?
    To post a screenshot please use the icon above your post to the left of the video icon

Your shutdown sounds strange.
    Try from an admin command prompt running
    SFC /SCANNOW
    and report the result.

If all this happened at the same point you might consider using a System Restore point, assuming you have System Restore enabled and useful recent restore points.

dalchina, Feb 17, 2018
  5. devnull Win User
    Thanks, but how would I be able to do any of the things that you suggest when Windows is not recognizing either my keyboard or my mouse?

I'll mention that I do intend to purchase a *wired* USB keyboard and mouse today and try them, but I'm not optimistic that they will be recognized by Windows either.

devnull, Feb 17, 2018
  6. dalchina New Member
    Sorry, should have suggested the wired option in the hope you had one.. or could borrow one.

Another option you might have is to boot your PC from either
    - a Win 10 boot disk
    or
    - Kyhi's boot disk available from the top of the Software and Apps section.

Try your keyboard and mouse with those.

If you had System Restore enabled, using the Win 10 boot disk, then via Repair your computer, navigate through the Advanced Startup options to System Restore and try that.

dalchina, Feb 17, 2018
  7. devnull Win User
    Thanks, I'll try that after seeing what happens with a wired keyboard and mouse, which I'll be doing in about three hours. Will report back.

devnull, Feb 17, 2018
  8. devnull Win User

Plugged in the new *wired* keyboard and mouse, rebooted a couple of times, but no luck---neither the wired keyboard nor the wired mouse are functioning. The wired mouse *was*, to some extent, recognized by Windows, in that Windows popped up the typical message window indicating that it was setting up the mouse and a second window indicating that the mouse was "ready to use". There may have been some similar messages when I plugged in the wired keyboard, but if so, I didn't notice them. (Edit: After making this post, I moved the keyboard plug to another USB port to verify that Windows would acknowledge that a keyboard had been plugged in, and it did acknowledge that, but the keyboard is still not working.) Regardless of those Windows messages, for the mouse, the mouse is not working at all, there's no pointer displayed on screen, and the mouse and the keyboard are not working.

So, it's on to recovery mode and System Restore. I'll be trying either a USB thumb drive with the Win 10 install files on it or an Active@ Boot Disk disc. Probably try the Active@ Boot Disk first. I don't know how the boot sequence is configured in the BIOS (or UEFI, now, I suppose) of my Dell PC---that's something that I knew well in earlier versions of Windows, but haven't looked at on my Win 10 machine---but hopefully the PC will boot to one of these two media and not just go straight to the Win 10 desktop.

EDITED: 3:25PM Eastern

devnull, Feb 17, 2018
  9. EdTittel Win User
    It's either that or restoring recent backups, most current first, until you get back to working. Then, you can apply updates one at a time until you figure out which one breaks your system (then block that one from installing). Sorry for your troubles!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 17, 2018
  10. devnull Win User
    Oh, @#$%. I just tried to boot from the Active@ Boot Disk disc and the thumb drive with the Win 10 install files on them, and the boot process *bypassed* both of them, going straight to the Windows desktop.

I've never been in a situation that I couldn't recover from before. What do I do now?

devnull, Feb 17, 2018
  11. devnull Win User
    Thank you, Ed. Any advice for me in regard to what I posted just after your post? My PC is *bypassing* the recovery media I'm trying to use.

devnull, Feb 17, 2018
  12. EdTittel Win User
    Do you have the ability to get into the BIOS when you start booting? I'm afraid you're going to have to manipulate the boot order explicitly that way and force it to boot from the USB flash drive. Have you tried remoting into the affected PC from your wife's machine (must be running Win10 Pro, Education or Enterprise, tho...)? If you can remote in, you should be able to get into the startup controls and tell it to boot into BIOS following the next restart (Start --> Settings --> Update & recovery --> Recovery --> Advanced startup --> Restart now).
    Cross your fingers, and hope remote access works. That will let you drive the OS and get yourself moving down the path to recovery.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 17, 2018
  13. devnull Win User

Ed, in reply to your points:

1. I am *not* able to get to the BIOS config screen, because my keyboard is not being recognized. Is there any way to get around this?

2. I cannot use Remote Access either, because I've disabled it on my PC, for security reasons. In my 25 years of working with my own PC, I've never allowed anyone, including a tech from Microsoft or Dell, to remote access my PCs. Paranoia? Perhaps, but it's never been a problem, until perhaps now. (I'm running Win 10 Pro, and my wife's PC is running Win 8.1 Pro, btw.)

Thank you for any help---much appreciated!

devnull, Feb 17, 2018
  14. EdTittel Win User
    Sounds like you might want to make a support call to Dell, to see if they know any tricks you can use. In the meantime, I have a friend who's a former 3rd-level Dell support tech who now owns and runs his own computer sales/repair store here in Texas. I'll ask him, too. This one's a real puzzler all right!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 17, 2018
  15. devnull Win User
    Thank you, Ed! I'll call Dell, but any further assistance from you or your buddy would be most appreciated!

devnull, Feb 17, 2018
Thema:

1. Keyboard and mouse not recognized after boot-up! - Similar Threads - Keyboard mouse recognized

2. KEYBOARD RECOGNIZED AS MOUSE.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KEYBOARD RECOGNIZED AS MOUSE.: hello, im using asus rog x13, windows 11, this problmes happened recently, my laptop keyboard isn't working and when i opened device manager, it shows that my keyboard location is at my mouse which is Razer orochi v2 been using it for few weeks. I've tried updating the driver...
  3. KEYBOARD RECOGNIZED AS MOUSE.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    KEYBOARD RECOGNIZED AS MOUSE.: hello, im using asus rog x13, windows 11, this problmes happened recently, my laptop keyboard isn't working and when i opened device manager, it shows that my keyboard location is at my mouse which is Razer orochi v2 been using it for few weeks. I've tried updating the driver...
  4. Wireless mouse recognized as keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wireless mouse recognized as keyboard: So, I was playing some games yesterday but suddenly my mouse just turned off and unconnected out of PC. First I thought that my mouse just died because i didn't charge it for a while. Well i wasn't right, so I have open settings to check if mouse receiver is plugged...
  5. Wireless mouse recognized as keyboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wireless mouse recognized as keyboard: So, I was playing some games yesterday but suddenly my mouse just turned off and unconnected out of PC. First I thought that my mouse just died because i didn't charge it for a while. Well i wasn't right, so I have open settings to check if mouse receiver is plugged...
  6. Wireless mouse recognized as keyboard

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Mouse Recognized As Keyboard

Mouse Recognized As Keyboard: I got a new computer today, and once I set it up, I realized how high the mouse speed was. I was looking into ways to turn it down, but none of the options shown in the videos appear. I went into the control panel, then the devices tab and my mouse was recognized as a...
  8. Mouse recognized as a keyboard

Mouse recognized as a keyboard: When I plugged in my mouse into my pc it seems to flash the leds on the mouse also it doesn't want work. When I went into the device control panel I realized my mouse was show as a keyboard not a mouse. Sometimes the mouse works fine but I can't use the Razer program for...
  9. Keyboard and mouse unresponsive after boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Keyboard and mouse unresponsive after boot: Hi all, Windows boot to my user login page but the keyboard and mouse do not work. Unplugged and back, no luck. They do work on bios. Legacy usb is enabled. In advanced repair mode (where you end up if you power on and off 3 times...) both work. In safe mode not....
  10. Keyboard and mouse shut off after PC boots up.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Keyboard and mouse shut off after PC boots up.: I have windows 10, and suddenly after re-activating windows 10 (with Microsoft help) my keyboard and mouse stopped working. Now, the computer boots up fine but keyboard and mouse both do not work. I cannot get into Bios, I cannot reinstall or install another OS from disc...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mouse not recognised on boot

2. windows 7 boot not recognize mouse keyboard