Windows 10: Start Menu - Open on Main or Last Display in Windows 10

Discus and support Start Menu - Open on Main or Last Display in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Start Menu - Open on Main or Last Display in Windows 10 How to Open Start Menu on Main or Last Display when pressing Windows key in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Start Menu - Open on Main or Last Display in Windows 10

How to: Start Menu - Open on Main or Last Display in Windows 10

How to Open Start Menu on Main or Last Display when pressing Windows key in Windows 10

Start Menu - Open on Main or Last Display in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information If you have more than one display connected to your PC, then you can set your Start menu to open on the display it was last opened on or always open on the main display when pressing the Windows *Start logo key.

This tutorial will show you how to show your Start menu on the display it was last opened on or always open on the main display when pressing the Windows key in your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Set where Start menu Opens when pressing Windows key in Taskbar and Start Menu Properties
    • Option Two: Set where Start menu Opens when pressing Windows key using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] Set where Start menu Opens when pressing Windows key in Taskbar and Start Menu Properties
    1. Do step 2 or step 3 below for how you would like to open Taskbar and Start Menu Properties.

2. Open the step 4 below.

3. Right click or press and hold on the taskbar, click/tap on Properties, and go to step 4 below. (see screenshot below)

4. Do step 5 or step 6 below for what you would like to do.

5. To Always Open your Start menu on Main Display when pressing Windows Key
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Navigation tab, uncheck the Show Start on the display I'm using when I press the Windows logo key box, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

6. To Open your Start menu on Last Display Opened on when pressing Windows Key
    A) Click/tap on the Navigation tab, check the Show Start on the display I'm using when I press the Windows logo key box, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] Set where Start menu Opens when pressing Windows key using a REG file

Note The .reg files below are to change the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartPage

MonitorOverride DWORD

0 = Show Start menu on last display when pressing Windows key
    1 = Always show Start menu on main display when pressing Windows key

1. Do step 2 or step 3 below for what you would like to do.

2. To Open your Start menu on Last Display Opened on when pressing Windows Key
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Show_Start_on_Last_Display.reg

Download

3. To Always Open your Start menu on Main Display when pressing Windows Key
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Always_Show_Start_on_Main_Display.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Feb 19, 2016
  2. scevism Win User
    scevism, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Windows 10 Start Menu won't open.

Hi Dougie,

Corrupted system files could be one of the reason why Start Menu is not opening.

As an initial troubleshooting, we suggest following the steps listed in this article:
    Troubleshoot problems with the Start menu or Cortana
    see if it helps resolve the issue.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Ronalene Mat, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Jetster Win User

Jetster, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
  6. How how do you always display text for start menu folders?

Hi,

Start Menu is one of the feature enhanced in Windows 10. You can customize Start Menu by following these steps:

• Open Settings.
    • Choose Personalization.
    • Click Start.
    These are the options that you can see under Start:

• With the Show more tiles, you can expand tile column.
    • Turning on Occasionally show suggestions in Start will show suggestions in Windows 10.
    • Show most used apps will show most used apps list on Start Menu.
    • Enabling Show recently added apps will display the program you installed last.
    • You can also view Start Menu in full screen by enabling Use Start full screen.
    • Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the taskbar
      will show your recently opened items.
    • To choose what apps or folders you like to appear on you Start Menu, you can click
      Choose which folders appear on Start.
    Note: You can also resize the Start Menu by simply dragging the top or the right edge of the Start Menu.

Let us know how it goes.

Antoneth Ber, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Start Menu - Open on Main or Last Display in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Start Menu Open

2. Taskbar Does Not Auto-Hide on Main Display Unless Start Menu is Opened and Closed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar Does Not Auto-Hide on Main Display Unless Start Menu is Opened and Closed: I am working on a Dell Precision 3560 on Windows version 20H2 OS Build 19042.2728. My computer is managed by my organization so I cannot easily modify things requiring administrator access. Issue Description: Mousing over the task bar on my Main Display causes it to pull up...
  3. Taskbar Does Not Auto-Hide on Main Display Unless Start Menu is Opened and Closed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar Does Not Auto-Hide on Main Display Unless Start Menu is Opened and Closed: I am working on a Dell Precision 3560 on Windows version 20H2 OS Build 19042.2728. My computer is managed by my organization so I cannot easily modify things requiring administrator access. Issue Description: Mousing over the task bar on my Main Display causes it to pull up...
  4. Taskbar Does Not Auto-Hide on Main Display Unless Start Menu is Opened and Closed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Start menu not opening on Windows 10

in Cortana
    Start menu not opening on Windows 10: Hello everyone, I am encountering a problem with the start menu and search bar on my Windows 10 laptop. Symptoms: I cannot open the start menu, neither with the bottom left icon neither with the windows key on my keyboard. When I do any of these two actions, a new process...
  6. Start menu not opening on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu not opening on Windows 10: Hello everyone, I am encountering a problem with the start menu and search bar on my Windows 10 laptop. Symptoms: I cannot open the start menu, neither with the bottom left icon neither with the windows key on my keyboard. When I do any of these two actions, a new process...
  7. Start menu not opening on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Start Menu & Window Tabs only open on main Monitor?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu & Window Tabs only open on main Monitor?: I have a 2 monitor setup, when I press the Windows Key the Start Menu only shows on the main Monitor also Tabs alt+tab only show on main too. Is there a setting to alter this?...
  9. windows 10 start menu will not open

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    windows 10 start menu will not open: I receive critical message ( start menu will not open will fix it next time you sign in) but it does not ,I have lost all internet connection. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-start-menu-will-not-open/82692eeb-28e1-4e26-8c82-177020a82e03
  10. Windows 10 Start menu not opening

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Start menu not opening: Hi all, A rather strange problem. A client came in with a laptop today. On this the Windows Ten start menu is not opening. I had gone through the walkthrough advising an SFC scan, in addition to that I ran the command Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth To no avail...