Windows 10: Keyboard and Touchpad Inop during Windows 10 install

Discus and support Keyboard and Touchpad Inop during Windows 10 install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have an Asus T200 laptop. I had to reinstall Windows 10 from a USB drive that I created with another computer. I chose 32 bit installation as that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by brydonbaker, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Keyboard and Touchpad Inop during Windows 10 install

I have an Asus T200 laptop. I had to reinstall Windows 10 from a USB drive that I created with another computer. I chose 32 bit installation as that was the operating system on the T200. The first screen that requires input is the language, keyboard, etc. You need to click on next. Well, there's no mouse arrow, the keyboard will not work, so the installation cannot proceed. All I can do is interrupt the startup so I can get to the BIOS setup screen where the keyboard works fine. However the parameters that I can change are very limited. Once I restart the laptop, it goes to the 64/32 bit installation choice screen. Keyboard works for that, but after that, nothing works. I've tried plugging in another usb keyboard, mouse, but that doesn't work.
    Occasionally I get a Why did my PC restart? screen that again requires choosing/clicking on the NEXT button. Keyboard/touchpad not working.
    Any ideas on how to get this working again?

:)

brydonbaker, Jun 3, 2017

2. Rollback from Windows 10 causes keyboard and touchpad to stop working

Still unable to log in to Windows by any means. Keyboard and touchpad inop. Any ideas?

rocketmanrogers, Jun 3, 2017
  3. KB3124262 disables Elan touchpad

Hi,

I just had to uninstall the above Win10 as after installation my touchpad was rendered inoperative, Is this a known issue?

Ian Mc

Zebedeeboy, Jun 3, 2017
  4. Kari Win User

Keyboard and Touchpad Inop during Windows 10 install

I recently had a similar case with a Medion Windows 10 tablet with detachable keyboard. I wanted to reinstall Windows 10 using original install media to get rid of all bloatware. First try revealed that touchpad and keyboard were not working.
    This is how I resolved it, following this work flow you should be able to install Windows on your device.

I went to manufacturer's website on another machine, downloading a complete hardware driver package for my specific tablet. If manufacturer of your device does not offer a package containing all drivers, download at least chipset (motherboard), USB and network drivers and copy them to Windows install USB flash drive.

Next step is to connect two USB devices to tablet: the install media now containing drivers, and an external mouse. In my case the device only has one micro USB port, meaning I had to first connect a micro USB to USB adapter, then a USB one to two splitter and finally my flash drive and mouse to this splitter.

OK, now booting from install flash drive the external mouse works and I am able to go through the installation.

When installation is done and Windows Welcome (OOBE) starts, Windows is already fully functional. Touchpad and keyboard still not working. I click Ease of Access icon bottom left to open on-screen keyboard:

Keyboard and Touchpad Inop during Windows 10 install [​IMG]

To show function (F) keys I select FN key bottom left (#1 in screenshot), thereafter SHIFT key (#2), and finally F10 key (#3) to open Command Prompt:

Command Prompt opens, I can now start File Explorer simply by typing explorer and pressing Enter:

File Explorer opens:

Now I can just browse to my install media where I have necessary drivers stored, find chipset driver and install it. When done the installer asks me to reboot which I accept, after the reboot OOBE starts from beginning again and I can install USB and network drivers following the above procedure.

My tablet's touchpad and keyboard now working I can finalize setup creating user account and proceeding to desktop.

Kari, Jun 3, 2017
Thema:

Keyboard and Touchpad Inop during Windows 10 install

1. Keyboard and Touchpad Inop during Windows 10 install - Similar Threads - Keyboard Touchpad Inop

2. Touchpad and keyboard not working properly after windows 10 installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Touchpad and keyboard not working properly after windows 10 installation: My windows 10 didn't start after update so i deleted and reinstalled windows 10 but after installing my touchpad and keyboard not working properly Touchpad problem: when i start laptop, touchpad doesn't work and i have to logout user and after login touchpad works fine but...
  3. Touchpad and keyboard not working properly after windows 10 installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Touchpad and keyboard not working properly after windows 10 installation: My windows 10 didn't start after update so i deleted and reinstalled windows 10 but after installing my touchpad and keyboard not working properly Touchpad problem: when i start laptop, touchpad doesn't work and i have to logout user and after login touchpad works fine but...
  4. Touchpad and keyboard not working properly after windows 10 installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Keyboard Inop after update

Keyboard Inop after update: Have an HP laptop, was working fine UNTIL...pop up said I needed to update windows 10. Took over an hour to update. When it rebooted the last time and came up to the sign on screen the ALPHA portion of the keyboard is inoperative. Numeric portion works but not the alpha. I...
  6. Touchpad inoperative

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Touchpad inoperative: My touchpad will not work and I cannot fix it. Can you tell me what to do please?` https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/touchpad-inoperative/15e169f1-f7cc-4ceb-b4ec-0e748a36be0f
  7. Inoperative keyboard

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Inoperative keyboard: Hello, The keyboard on my wife's desktop (HP w/W10) has become inoperative. We have been able to type using the on-screen keyboard but the wireless one gives no response. I've tried a few things from online searches (mostly pressing certain keys that are generally for...
  8. Windows 10 login, keyboard and mouse inop

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 login, keyboard and mouse inop: Hi, my pc is stuck in login screen, key board is only letting me type “éúíóá”, my mouse will not let me click on restart or access to bring up screen key board. Any help would be great cheers...
  9. keyboard not working during windows 10 install

keyboard not working during windows 10 install: Lenovo Ideapad 100s 11IBY Installing Windows 10 via USB to a cleaned drive. Keyboard not working during Windows installation setup via 'Repair Computer', 'Troubleshoot', 'Command Prompt' to convert format from MBR to GPT. How can I get around this. [ATTACH]...
  10. Keyboard not detected during Windows 10 install.

Keyboard not detected during Windows 10 install.: I am using the Microsoft usb media creation tool to try to re-install Windows 10 on my laptop. Everything starts off ok and I can use the mouse to select language and keyboard etc but when it gets to the stage where I have to start entering data such as name etc there is no...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. use touchpad during windows 10 installation