Windows 10: Keyboard Input Priority

Discus and support Keyboard Input Priority in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello everyone! My little problem I have two languages, Danish and Swedish. Myself, I'm Swedish but my boyfriend is Danish, so I use that keyboard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SomaTGW, Apr 7, 2016.

1. SomaTGW Win User

Keyboard Input Priority

Hello everyone!

My little problem I have two languages, Danish and Swedish. Myself, I'm Swedish but my boyfriend is Danish, so I use that keyboard just when I type some Danish cities or words to him.. my problem is that for some reason Danish layout gets 1st priority, and Swedish gets 2nd. Which means I have to switch the layout every time I start my computer. This isn't a pressing issue, I just want to know if it's possible to put Swedish as 1st. I have tried uninstalling the Danish one and installing it again but didn't work.

:)

SomaTGW, Apr 7, 2016

2. Writing bar issue in Windows 10

Hi John,

We apologize for the delayed response.

Since you do not require Pen Input panel often, you may temporarily disable input panel by
    right-clicking on the Taskbar > Toolbars > Uncheck the option for
    Tablet PC Input Panel.

However, setting up a priority for writing bar over keyboard is not available, you may post query in the Feedback app.

Your feedback is important to us.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Apr 7, 2016
  3. Keyboard input wont change from english

So I'm setting up a new computer at the moment, everything is working fine despite the keyboard input. I started out having the display language in English, but despite me adding danish as an input (since the keyboard is danish), it won't change the input
    method.

Now I changed the display version to danish. Even though every setting says danish the keyboard input is still in English. I've tried change the input method using Left Alt + Shift (even checked the settings to see if this was the right "shortcut") without
    any luck.

As you can see, danish is used for the user interface and danish is the only keyboard layout. For the English user interface danish have been added as well, and is set to be the first priority:

Keyboard Input Priority [​IMG]

Under advanced settings, danish is set to be the first priority for all language lists. I've tried added the language button to the toolbar, but it still doesn't show up:

In the settings menu you can once again see that danish is the only language:

So why is danish not the input method!?

Dennis Christiansen, Apr 7, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

Keyboard Input Priority

Hallå Soma, välkommen till TenForums.com *Smile

Open Settings, go to Time & Language > Region & language, open Additional settings, select Change input methods:

(Click / tap screenshots to enlarge.)

Select Advanced settings:

Under Override for default input method, select your preferred input language (keyboard layout) from the drop down menu, click Save, reboot:

That's it *Smile

Kari, Apr 7, 2016
  5. SomaTGW Win User
    Oh my god, thank you! Can't believe I missed what that did.. it worked! Marking as resolved.

SomaTGW, Apr 7, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    Du är välkommen / You are welcome *Smile

Kari, Apr 7, 2016
  7. SomaTGW Win User
    Re-opening this thread because today it went back into prioritizing Danish keyboard, again..

SomaTGW, Apr 9, 2016
  8. Kari Win User

Keyboard Input Priority

Did you check the settings, was it changed to Danish in Override for default input method?

Kari, Apr 9, 2016
  9. SomaTGW Win User
    Override was still on Swedish.

SomaTGW, Apr 9, 2016
  10. Kari Win User
    I don't know what to do, to be honest. I am quite experienced in using and setting up multilingual Windows, both display language and input language. My input language is set to be Finnish, and it always stays as set, defaulting to Finnish when I sign in:

(My taskbar vertical at left, screenshot might look strange.)
    Did your boyfriend use the PC after you set the default input language to Swedish, changing the input to Danish?

11. SomaTGW Win User
    No no, my boyfriend is home in Denmark right now and he uses his own PC, I just tend to like to write for example Helsinør etc. in the Danish type of ö instead of Swedish. I Don't know if the computer temporarily broke today with it or what.

SomaTGW, Apr 9, 2016
  12. Kari Win User
    Do you have separate user accounts on your PC, for him and for you? If not, that's what I recommend. When done set his default override to Danish, yours Swedish.

In addition if you sometimes use Danish input in for instance an email app or word processor, select Let me set different input method for each app window:

This helps Windows to remember that even if and when you occasionally use other than default input method in an app, the main, system wide default should remain as set by you. When set you can test it works as planned by opening any app, let's say WordPad, and when WordPad window is active, change the input method to Danish. Now when you switch to any other app the input method should switch back to Swedish, and again switching back to WordPad the input method will automatically be switched to Danish.

See the video about how this works:

[youtube]UTBms2Tl4Tc[/youtube]

If this, different input method for apps is not set Windows sometimes remembers the last input method used before shutdown / sign out, and defaults to it when rebooted / signed back in.

13. SomaTGW Win User

Keyboard Input Priority

I only have one account, and he uses mine if he's on my computer, not at all switching keyboard layout as he types in English. And I just pretty much quickly switch when I type a danish letter then quickly back again.

SomaTGW, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Keyboard Input Priority

1. Keyboard Input Priority - Similar Threads - Keyboard Input Priority

2. Keyboard input lag

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard input lag: Hello everyone, a week ago my sister gave me her old work laptop that has a QWERTY spanish keyboard. When i factory reseted the laptop, i chose the azerty option because i'm used to it and my external keyboard is a azerty. However i'm facing a big problem as my keyboard input...
  3. Keyboard input lag

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard input lag: Hello everyone, a week ago my sister gave me her old work laptop that has a QWERTY spanish keyboard. When i factory reseted the laptop, i chose the azerty option because i'm used to it and my external keyboard is a azerty. However i'm facing a big problem as my keyboard input...
  4. Keyboard input lag

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Keyboard Input

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard Input: Hello,Today set up Japanese input in the settings so that I can write in hiragana/katakana because I needed it for a task for school I set this up on my laptop a year ago and it works perfectly but then when I tried to set it up it would write the wrong character it was the...
  6. Keyboard Input

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard Input: Hello,Today set up Japanese input in the settings so that I can write in hiragana/katakana because I needed it for a task for school I set this up on my laptop a year ago and it works perfectly but then when I tried to set it up it would write the wrong character it was the...
  7. Keyboard Input Stuttering and Input Locking

Keyboard Input Stuttering and Input Locking: I am having 2 similar issues involving my keyboard: When doing normal tasks typing documents, searching through YouTube, etc. my keyboard inputs stutter, when I type a full word the cursor freezes for a second then updates and inputs all of the previous letters I typed....
  8. keyboard inputs

in Windows 10 Customization
    keyboard inputs: Hello, My win 10 is in EN. My keyboard is AZERTY. I don't know from where all those keyboards come from neither how to get rid of them. It kept switching automatically from one to another in-game, This is so frustrating & discussing. .[ATTACH]...
  9. Keyboard input

Keyboard input: So I accidentally pressed two buttons on my keyboard (pretty sure it was left shift+alt or something similar) and now my shift+2 does not make the @ symbol. It has been switched with the key that creates the " symbol. So now if I press shift+2 it creates @ and if I press...
  10. Help with the keyboard input

in Windows 10 Support
    Help with the keyboard input: Dear TenForums members, I have had this problem since I thought I had solved the chinese input. But, it turned out to be available for a few hours and then the IME is unavailable until next sign in. In brief, to get the chinese input back, it need to sign out and sign...