Windows 10: Keyboard Number Lock

Discus and support Keyboard Number Lock in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; There are hundreds of posts on here describing how various keyboard functions are being turned off at every system start up . On my Dell for example... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by wjay, Oct 22, 2015.

1. wjay Win User

Keyboard Number Lock

There are hundreds of posts on here describing how various keyboard functions are being turned off at every system start up . On my Dell for example the keyboard number lock can be set in Bios and is set on for me . Every time the system starts this is over-ridden and switched off . Now seeing as microsoft want us to use a numeric pin at startup , it is a bit more than frustrating to have to make keyboard changes for windows to work at all . Is there nobody on this forum or in microsoft who has any clue as to why this fault has been allowed to go unsolved for so long and what the fix is ?

:)

2. jackmimms Win User

keyboard numbers locked

numbers are locked on startup even after changing to the recommended key numbers

* Moved from Insider

jackmimms, Oct 22, 2015
  3. b52gunr Win User
    keyboard numbers locked

Just what do you mean by the recommended key numbers?

b52gunr, Oct 22, 2015
  4. Berton Win User

Keyboard Number Lock

There is a manual Registry 'fix' but it's not exactly what should happen. I've applied it to several computers, both Notebooks and Desktops, and it does work but the result is that it seems to only retain the status of the NumLock as it was when shut down, returns the feature at bootup. If NumLock is On at shutdown it will come back on, if Off it will stay off at startup. I've applied it only on Notebooks with keyboards that have the separate Number pad, haven't tried it without that Number pad, don't know the effect on the 'standard' keyboard.

Berton, Oct 22, 2015
  5. hawkman Win User
    Ive posted about this a couple of times,
    Every time i've, (even the latest), put in a new TP i have to reset the registry key and then of course reboot so that it then kicks in the next time.
    What i did find was that instead of the DWORD being 2, it was about 12 digits long starting with a 2, and this was from new, so in my case why hadnt ASUS put the right value in!

Roy

The key is
    HKEY>USERS>default>controlpanel>keyboard>value(2).

hawkman, Oct 22, 2015
  6. Gary Win User
    I have numlock turned off in my BIOS and I use a Pin to logon without any problems. I use the top row of keys on my keyboard which has numbers on it. To me the numbers pad is useless, I wish Logitech would remove it.

7. Gary, it is not useless, you just don't use it. Either way they make keyboards without it, buy one of those.

logicearth, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Keyboard Number Lock

1. Keyboard Number Lock - Similar Threads - Keyboard Number Lock

2. the Number lock

in Windows 10 Customization
    the Number lock: My computer keeps turning off the number lock during startup or restart and after an update. How can I fix that? is there a way to use command Prompt to keep it turned on all the time?...
  3. Number lock

Number lock: How do I keep the number lock engaged in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/number-lock/345aa415-9338-4a70-81af-5c893ef6e5aa
  4. number lock

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    number lock: the number lock feature turns off automatically when the screen shuts off due to inactivity how do I keep the number lock on all the time? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/number-lock/313d9d55-f4df-4563-8b14-265610d6c940
  5. numbers lock

numbers lock: numbers lock not working on 3 different keyboards WIN 10 Home https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/numbers-lock/114171e8-6775-4bb0-95c9-b949c3e11654
  6. Numbers Lock

Numbers Lock: A small problem. How do I get the numbers lock to stay on after startup? I have gone in the REGEDIT and followed the instructions but it didn't work. It's for Windows10 Thanks....
  7. Number lock

in Windows 10 Support
    Number lock: Ever since I got my new computer hard drive and the most current Windows 10, my number lock key on keyboard's right panel defaults to scroll lock after each boot up. I'd like it to default to number lock, as that's the only way I use these number keys, and often, so would be...
  8. Number lock

in Windows 10 Support
    Number lock: Hi How do I keep the number lock permanently on as sometimes when I enter a number the numbers don't work until I press number lock 122246
  9. Number Lock

Number Lock: I have an HP Pavilion Laptop. It's a Core i5 with 64bit Operating System. CPU 2.30GHz Windows 10 I have had various niggly little things go wrong after Window/Microsoft updates. 1. I seem to have found a solution to this one only. On the F6 key there's a little LED...
  10. Numbers Locked

Numbers Locked: I am running windows 10 on my home computer and somehow the number pad stopped working, but only on my screen. My wife's and grandkid's all work fine. How do I get my number pad to start working on my screen?...