Windows 10: Keyboard oddities

Discus and support Keyboard oddities in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; On a Toshiba laptop, 3 years old, running w10 since it's release, I recently received another update after the big one which reactivates Cortana... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by papa2jaja, Nov 6, 2016.

1. papa2jaja Win User

Keyboard oddities

On a Toshiba laptop, 3 years old, running w10 since it's release, I recently received another update after the big one which reactivates Cortana without asking. After one of those two it appears I have keyboard issues. Both the built-in and an external keyboard work fine for unlocking Bitlocker and for logging on to Windows, but once Windows runs, the internal kb doesn't produce any characters, while the external kb Ms 4000 natural ) works if I change the keyboard language to English. After that it also works in other languages.

If I press a key on the internal kb, the external one stops working again and also the language switch cannot reliably revive it.

In the device manager, both kb are listed as working and an update of the drivers in device manager brought no improvement. No improvement after a restore to the pre-Cortana version.

Could this be a hardware issue, although it works outside of Windows?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

:)

papa2jaja, Nov 6, 2016

2. A Windows Phone like the E7-00 Hardware

A windows phone with a keyboard seems to be an oddity. Dell Venue Pro only comes to mind. Seems like it's not well supported my Microsoft.

seppuku---01, Nov 6, 2016
  3. JoeNamco Win User
    JoeNamco, Nov 6, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Keyboard oddities

Could be. Toshiba got a lot of crappy keyboards between 2011 to 203. I had two that had them fail.

When I sent my laptop off, it was six weeks before the repair shop they used could get a working keyboard from China. Found out talking to them that there is only one factory in China that produces all of the keyboards for laptops, including Apple.

The cost was around $200 for them to have to replace the board, because you have to go in from the back. You can get the Keyboard for around $14 and try it or just use a wireless keyboard. It is up to you.

bro67, Nov 6, 2016
Thema:

Keyboard oddities

1. Keyboard oddities - Similar Threads - Keyboard oddities

2. My laptop keyboard is being unresponsive due to a hardware issue.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop keyboard is being unresponsive due to a hardware issue.: Some of the keys don't work unless I press in a certain area on my laptop that bends the frame, creating a connection. This is definitely a hardware issue plus I already did resetting and resetting drivers and I want to know if there is a quick fix/troubleshoot I could do...
  3. My laptop keyboard is being unresponsive due to a hardware issue.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop keyboard is being unresponsive due to a hardware issue.: Some of the keys don't work unless I press in a certain area on my laptop that bends the frame, creating a connection. This is definitely a hardware issue plus I already did resetting and resetting drivers and I want to know if there is a quick fix/troubleshoot I could do...
  4. How to delete a keyboard input method

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to delete a keyboard input method: I have Windows set to English, but my keyboard is Spanish. I would like to remove the English keyboard input method but I can't, it is quite annoying as every time I restart the PC the default input method is English and I have to change it....
  5. How to delete a keyboard input method

How to delete a keyboard input method: I have Windows set to English, but my keyboard is Spanish. I would like to remove the English keyboard input method but I can't, it is quite annoying as every time I restart the PC the default input method is English and I have to change it....
  6. Easiest way to configure the UK keyboard to use accented characters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Easiest way to configure the UK keyboard to use accented characters: Please excuse my exasperation....As the last discussion on this subject has been locked, yet again preventing any continuity of discussion whatsoever of Microsoft's failure to support a fairly obvious and common requirement and where the solution at that time was that a...
  7. Easiest way to configure the UK keyboard to use accented characters

Easiest way to configure the UK keyboard to use accented characters: Please excuse my exasperation....As the last discussion on this subject has been locked, yet again preventing any continuity of discussion whatsoever of Microsoft's failure to support a fairly obvious and common requirement and where the solution at that time was that a...
  8. Windows 11 Mouse/Keyboard/Microphone Issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Mouse/Keyboard/Microphone Issues: Everytime I open an application, dependent on the size of the application.. in larger terms, my cursor and my keys will freeze in game not physically. It never did this before. I’ve already tried re-installing the mouse and keyboard drivers, and it’s still not working. Other...
  9. Windows 11 Mouse/Keyboard/Microphone Issues

Windows 11 Mouse/Keyboard/Microphone Issues: Everytime I open an application, dependent on the size of the application.. in larger terms, my cursor and my keys will freeze in game not physically. It never did this before. I’ve already tried re-installing the mouse and keyboard drivers, and it’s still not working. Other...
  10. I only see my screensaver after not giving input on my keyboard or mouse for a while.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I only see my screensaver after not giving input on my keyboard or mouse for a while.: Hi, its really quite simple, after i dont touch my keyboard or mouse for a while my screen just only shows my wallpaper and hides all my apps and taskbar. i have tried to stop this from happening by using for example an autoclicker but with no success. I have tried watching...