Windows 10: Keyboard shortcuts work only when no visible windows on screen

Discus and support Keyboard shortcuts work only when no visible windows on screen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Keyboard shortcuts work only when no visible windows are on the screen. I have to return to desktop in order make them work. (ctrl+alt or other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ddinc, Jan 18, 2016.

1. ddinc Win User

Keyboard shortcuts work only when no visible windows on screen

Keyboard shortcuts work only when no visible windows are on the screen.

I have to return to desktop in order make them work.

(ctrl+alt or other keys )

:)

ddinc, Jan 18, 2016

2. Keyboard Shortcut Problem

The keyboard shortcut to switch to the virtual desktop on the right (Windows+Ctrl+Right) doesn't work. But the shortcut to switch to the one on the left (Windows+Ctrl+Left) works.

Another interesting thing is that, both works when I try them on the onscreen keyboard.

It is especially interesting that, when I click Windows+Ctrl on the OnScreen keyboard, and press Right on my laptop keyboard, the shortcut works.

The shortcut to snap windows to the right (Windows+Right) also works with my real life keyboard.

The shortcut to get to the next word in a textbox (Ctrl+Right) also works.

The problem is only with the shortcut Windows+Ctrl+Right, it doesn't work when I press all three on my laptop keyboard.

Hasan Altan Birler, Jan 18, 2016
  3. marcusmy Win User
    issue with some keyboard shortcuts

Some keyboard shortcuts don't work, all of the Windows ones do (from those that I know) but some shortcuts for some applications, such as changing screen brightness in Flux with ALT-PGDN and PGUP for example, don't work. Setting it to run as administrator
    didn't help either. Keyboard shortcuts for application shortcuts on my desktop don't always work either. Here's the catch though, they will work SOMETIMES and I can't figure out why. Most of the time, however, they don't work. What is even stranger now, is
    that some keyboard shortcuts are mixed up. For example, when I try to assign a keyboard shortcut to a shortcut on my desktop using CTRL-ALT-F12, it activates a shortcut in another application to change my monitor refresh rate, and it's not even the same shortcut
    (that one is CTRL-ALT + or -). I don't recall this being an issue in the earlier build of Windows 10, so this may have only started after the Anniversary update. Any ideas on how to fix it? I'd rather not have to reinstall Windows just to fix keyboard shortcuts.
    Thanks in advance.

marcusmy, Jan 18, 2016
Thema:

Keyboard shortcuts work only when no visible windows on screen

1. Keyboard shortcuts work only when no visible windows on screen - Similar Threads - Keyboard shortcuts visible

2. keyboard only works as shortcut keys at startup.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    keyboard only works as shortcut keys at startup.: so when i turn on my laptop is works on the login page. but when i log on i cant type. for example the "c" key opens the teams wight thing, "d" minimizes all apps. it just acts like the win key is constantly pressed. i honestly don't know hot i get it to cat normal again....
  3. keyboard only works as shortcut keys at startup.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    keyboard only works as shortcut keys at startup.: so when i turn on my laptop is works on the login page. but when i log on i cant type. for example the "c" key opens the teams wight thing, "d" minimizes all apps. it just acts like the win key is constantly pressed. i honestly don't know hot i get it to cat normal again....
  4. Keyboard shortcut not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard shortcut not working.: I am unable to switch between list and icons using keyboard shortcuts Ctrl+Shift+6 & other shortcuts like this, actually all other shortcuts are working just fine. Execpt these view switch shortcuts.Kindly help as it is a important for me as I have to use it in my everyday...
  5. Keyboard shortcut not working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard shortcut not working.: I am unable to switch between list and icons using keyboard shortcuts Ctrl+Shift+6 & other shortcuts like this, actually all other shortcuts are working just fine. Execpt these view switch shortcuts.Kindly help as it is a important for me as I have to use it in my everyday...
  6. keyboard shortcuts not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    keyboard shortcuts not working: Looking for keyboard shortcuts for diacriticals, either in ENG INTL or in Deutsch/German. Bing's list has instructions for combos, apostrophe=acute accent works, but comma=cedilla and colon=umlaut do nothing. What is the correct shortcut to use without keying in a code each...
  7. Setting up hotkey / keyboard shortcut that works when screen is locked

in Windows 10 Support
    Setting up hotkey / keyboard shortcut that works when screen is locked: Hi, I have a weird problem with my Windows 10 PC (v1909) - the PC is quite old, with a Gigabyte 770T-USB3 motherboard and Nvidia GTS 250 graphics card. It works really well except for one annoying problem. Whenever it comes out of sleep, the screen is always black - I have...
  8. Keyboard Shortcuts only work if another program is running

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Keyboard Shortcuts only work if another program is running: I am using Windows 10, my keyboard shortcuts only work if another program is running, which is inconvenient since I use the shortcuts to launch every program I use regularly. I have tried researching but apparently google and I are having communication problems. Any guidance...
  9. Keyboard not working only when in Settings

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard not working only when in Settings: I’m trying to change my network security key but cannot type anything in when asked for the new security key. Also, cannot type any ‘find a setting’ queries when in Windows Setting. All ather time the keyboard works correctly. It just doesn’t work at all in Settings. Note,...
  10. On-Screen-Keyboard only registers Modifier keys and shortcuts in certain apps only work...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    On-Screen-Keyboard only registers Modifier keys and shortcuts in certain apps only work...: Hi, So for some time now I have had this annoying problem on Windows 10 where the On-Screen-Keyboard only registers CTRL, ALT, SHIFT, Caps and the Win-key. This wouldn't be much of a problem but it seems to be connected to how Windows handles input so for example in...