Windows 10: Keyboard symbol keys and default language

Discus and support Keyboard symbol keys and default language in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Since the last big Windows 10 update, some of my symbol keys on my keyboard no not provide the correct symbol and some of the symbols that I need such... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GMSH_085, Jul 10, 2018.

1. GMSH_085 Win User

Keyboard symbol keys and default language

Since the last big Windows 10 update, some of my symbol keys on my keyboard no not provide the correct symbol and some of the symbols that I need such as the sign for Sterling and Euro no longer function. Also Microsoft Word defaults to English US when It should have remained as English UK. Settings does not allow me to remove English US as a default language. How can I reset my keyboard and the default language?

:)

GMSH_085, Jul 10, 2018

2. resetting keyboard symbols

Hi Carol,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to remove English UK and just have the default English US under keyboard input language and check.

Step 1:To keep English US as the default input language and to remove other installed services

a. Type Settings in the search bar and click on the setting symbol on the top right.

b. Click on Time and Languages.

c. Click on Region and Languages.

d. Under the languages tab.

e. Click and Change the language to English US.

Step 2:Use on screen keyboard to type the characters (@, “)

To use on-screen keyboard, follow the steps below.

a. Click on Start; type “On-screen” without quotes and hit Enter.

b. Now check if you’re able to get right characters.

Let us know if it helps or post back for further assistance, we will be glad to help.

Akheel Ahmed, Jul 10, 2018
  3. Language/Keyboard default

Hi Sandra,

You can try these steps to set up your preferred defaults:

• Go to Settings and click Time & Language.
    • Click Region & Language.
    • Click on your default system language then, click Options.
    • Click Add a keyboard then choose your preferred keyboard language.
    • Remove the other keyboard language by choosing it then click Remove.

Tell us if this works.

Katrina Men, Jul 10, 2018
  4. Keyboard symbol keys and default language

Unable to set keyboard language as default differently from Windows 10 language

Hello,

You can configure your keyboard language by adding it on the default language set on the system. For instructions, follow these steps:

• Open Settings.
    • Open Time & language.
    • Select Region & language.
    • Click on the default language, and click Options.
    • Select Add a keyboard, and select the language that you want to add.

We'll wait for the outcome.

Antoneth Ber, Jul 10, 2018
Thema:

Keyboard symbol keys and default language

1. Keyboard symbol keys and default language - Similar Threads - Keyboard symbol keys

2. How to set default keyboard language to be different than default Windows language

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to set default keyboard language to be different than default Windows language: This was no problem with Windows 10, but I cannot seem to figure out how to do it in Windows 11. I want my Windows 11 language to be completely in English as default. But I need my keyboard by default to be Danish. However, I also need to have the English keyboard installed...
  3. How to set default keyboard language to be different than default Windows language

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to set default keyboard language to be different than default Windows language: This was no problem with Windows 10, but I cannot seem to figure out how to do it in Windows 11. I want my Windows 11 language to be completely in English as default. But I need my keyboard by default to be Danish. However, I also need to have the English keyboard installed...
  4. question about keyboard default language

in Windows 10 Customization
    question about keyboard default language: hey guys i need help. every time i turn on my pc, my keyboard language is English automaticlly. i want my keyboard default language is Vietnamese every time i turn on the pc. anyone knows how? thanks for reading...
  5. Keyboard - Keys Suddenly not Showing Wrong Symbols

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard - Keys Suddenly not Showing Wrong Symbols: This problem has occurred several times for apparently no reason. The web gives many links that propose a number of surgeries. Every single time it has happened to me, a simple restart has cured it. 172639
  6. Keyboard - Keys Suddenly not Showing Wrong Symbols

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Keyboard - Keys Suddenly not Showing Wrong Symbols: This problem has occurred several times for apparently no reason. The web gives many links that propose a number of surgeries. Every single time it has happened to me, a simple restart has cured it. 172639
  7. Default Language Keyboard

Default Language Keyboard: I'm so fed up with the Default Language Keyboard showed at the right bottom corner of the task bar. I'm living in Canada, but I set up my language is the US keyboard. Every time I restart Windows, Microsoft automatically adds up the Canadian French anf Multilingual keyboards...
  8. DEFAULT Keyboard with several languages installed

DEFAULT Keyboard with several languages installed: I have installed several languages. I usually use ENGLSH, but when I turn on the computer it comes up with FRENCH as the default input language, and I have to change it even to sign in. How do I change the DEFAULT keyboard to English? (When I ask the automated assistant I...
  9. Input language and keyboard language are different.How to set as default.

Input language and keyboard language are different.How to set as default.: I use English as a language, but living in Spain I use a Spanish keyboard. (Sometimes I write in Spanish) Every time I turn on my Surface I have to manually change the settings to ENG/ES - ENG being the input language and ES being the keyboard input. Every time, if I...
  10. Unable to remove a 'default' language/keyboard layout

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to remove a 'default' language/keyboard layout: I keep having an annoying problem. I have only 1 language with 1 keyboard layout in Language settings [img] But the system keep changing keyboard layout (when restarting or resuming from sleep) Indeed, if I press WIN+SPACE I can see both layouts! [img] I can I remove...