Windows 10: Keyboard/touchpad stop working randomly

Discus and support Keyboard/touchpad stop working randomly in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; This has happened a lot since my upgrade to Windows 10, and it's really starting to get on my nerves. Seemingly randomly, my keyboard will stop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Geschi, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Geschi Win User

Keyboard/touchpad stop working randomly

This has happened a lot since my upgrade to Windows 10, and it's really starting to get on my nerves. Seemingly randomly, my keyboard will stop responding to what I type, and my touchpad completely stops as well (no, I did not accidentally click to disable it). These problems will never resolve themselves on their own, but as soon as I reset the computer everything works again - to me, that sounded like a driver crash, but nope! I checked the driver menu and it told me everything was running just fine. What's even more strange is that I have the backlight keyboard enabled so that when I type, it lights up. And strangely, the keys still light up when I press them, so I know it's registering my typing SOME how.

You would also think that this would be a software problem since it fixes immediately upon reset, but I've noticed that this issue seems to crop up a lot right after I have moved my computer... I'm lost and I've scoured the internet for clues, but no one else seems to have this problem. Please help!

In order to possibly do testing on what is causing this (via suggestions hopefully, I've tried everything I can think of) I am purposely not resetting my computer (thankfully this is a touch screen, but this on-screen keyboard typing is obnoxious). Currently, both keyboard and touchpad don't work, but a usb mouse I use does (the computer is also set so that using the usb mouse does not disable the touchpad).

:)

Geschi, Jan 11, 2016

2. keyboard buttons problem

hi.

I have annoying problem with my laptop.

Yesterday something happened and my keyboard started to act weird. At first it was just randomly spamming buttons and my touchpad was lagging (now touchpad works fine, but buttons still randomly spams when i turn on laptop and write my password, although
    when i log in, it stops doing that).

And there is one more weird thing. Every time i press button h or ESC. Windows closes one of apps i have open and when all of them are closed, shut down window.

Any ideas for solutions?

LaurisJākobsons, Jan 11, 2016
  3. Cortana Pop Up Driving Me Crazy

I have read every piece of info on stopping Cortana popups. Nothing works. Randomly when I touch my touchpad Cortana pops up. Everything is turned off including all touchpad options HELP

KarenIsBack, Jan 11, 2016
  4. Keyboard/touchpad stop working randomly

Hi I had that same trouble when on windows 8.1
    Found out my BIOS was out of date
    When upgraded to 10 my manufacturer updated the BIOS
    Which in turn updated the latest drivers
    Also have you run SFC /Scannow
    Follow this link
    SFC Command - Run in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    Written by Brink easy to follow

hTconeM9user, Jan 11, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    You started by saying " as soon as I reset the computer everything works again ......"
    Then later on, you said " I am purposely not resetting my computer........."

Could you clarify a bit ?
    Which is which ?
    Were you saying that after you did the reset, it worked for a while and then the problem happened again ?

If so, do a system file check to look for corrupt files. It will try to do repair if any found.

Right click at Start button > click Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.......
    sfc /scannow

> press Enter.
    It will take quite sometime.
    When finished, it will give you one of the 3 reports...............(paraphrasing)
    1. No integrity violation.
    2. Found corrupt files and repair successful.
    3. Found corrupt files but unable to repair.

If the report is #1, your solution lies elsewhere.
    If the report is #2, check if your problems have been resolved.
    If the report is #3, use this method................
    In the same Command Prompt (Admin) windows, copy and paste this command...........

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

> press Enter.
    Again it will take some time.
    When finished, it will give you a report.

davidhk, Jan 11, 2016
  6. Geschi Win User
    Yes, I have already run an sfc scan and nothing was fixed.

As far as resetting goes, yes, it will work again once reset but after a few hours and problem occurs again.

I am updating the BIOS now, will let you know if that solves it.

Geschi, Jan 12, 2016
  7. Geschi Win User
    Update, I updated the BIOS without problems, but today the same problem reoccurred.

Geschi, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Keyboard/touchpad stop working randomly

1. Keyboard/touchpad stop working randomly - Similar Threads - Keyboard touchpad stop

2. My keyboard and touchpad stopped working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My keyboard and touchpad stopped working: I have a Lenovo g570 from 2012 I had to hit someone with it the other day the keyboard still works in the bios but no in windows and recommendations...
  3. My keyboard and touchpad stopped working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My keyboard and touchpad stopped working: I have a Lenovo g570 from 2012 I had to hit someone with it the other day the keyboard still works in the bios but no in windows and recommendations...
  4. My keyboard and touchpad stopped working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Keyboard stops working randomly

Keyboard stops working randomly: Hi,I've done some searching but I think the keywords I'm using aren't finding me relevant articles.I have multiple keyboards of different providers that all do the same thing.I recently rebuilt my PC and have had an occasional issue where sometimes the keyboard will stop...
  6. Synaptics TouchPad randomly stops working

Synaptics TouchPad randomly stops working: My laptop is only a week old, but during this last week, the TouchPad randomly stops working. Occasionally, a hard reset gets it going again. The lates "Event Report" is shown below. WHAT IS THE FIX? HP Notebook 15-db1068au Description: Device ACPI\SYN327B\4&4b7cf27&0...
  7. Keyboard randomly stopped working

Keyboard randomly stopped working: My built in laptop keyboard stopped working after the computer randomly turned off by itself. (Laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad). I have tried: Uninstalling drivers and scanning for hardware changes to reinstall them. Entering safe mode (computer wouldn’t even start in safe...
  8. touchpad and keyboard suddenly stopped working

touchpad and keyboard suddenly stopped working: the touchpad and keyboard suddenly stopped working a few seconds after the computer starts. i did a system restore and it worked well for a few hours before it stopped working again. im not sure if this is because of the windows 10 updates. i mean, do i need to perform system...
  9. Synaptics touchpad stops randomly to work

Synaptics touchpad stops randomly to work: So, ive been having this problem recently. Today my Synaptics touchpad randomly stops working, this morning for example it was working perfectly fine but it randomly stopped to work. Sometimes it starts working again after a day or two (rebooting wont fix this problem). Ive...
  10. Keyboard stops working randomly

Keyboard stops working randomly: Hi. Recently, I've been experiencing some keyboard problems. The issue occurs at random times, and I've tried updating the drivers. I am certain that this is a software/driver problem, as opposed to a hardware/mechanical problem, as the keyboard starts working fine right...