Windows 10: Keyboard works in boot up for password and not when I enter Windows 10

Discus and support Keyboard works in boot up for password and not when I enter Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have been using my Acer 10 tablet for about six months and had upgraded to Win 10 a while ago with no problems. This morning the keyboard stopped... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by fxp, Mar 27, 2016.

1. FXP
    fxp Win User

Keyboard works in boot up for password and not when I enter Windows 10

I have been using my Acer 10 tablet for about six months and had upgraded to Win 10 a while ago with no problems. This morning the keyboard stopped working. I checked the contacts to the tablet because it has a detachable keyboard, cleaned them with a soft brush, cleaner and rebooted, no luck. The keyboard when it boots allows me to key in my password and I have a USB mouse attached to the keyboard that works, but none of the keys work once I'm logged into Windows? If the screen times out and I try to enter the Password again, nothing. I can navigate around using the mouse, but have no ability to enter keyboard information. I went to Devices and uninstalled the keyboard drivers, rebooted, nothing. I ran Windows troubleshooting for devices, nothing. The onscreen keyboard has always worked. Since the keyboard does work for login I've concluded its a software problem. I'm stumped and would appreciate any suggestions, all welcome. *Sad

:)

2. Keyboards won't work with Windows 10

I recently began troubleshooting a Windows 10 laptop that after a restart, had a malfunctioning keyboard. The keyboard works to roll up the welcome screen, but not characters are put into the password field. The on-screen keyboard has similar results:
    it comes up, the buttons light when pressed, but no characters appear in the password field. I even attempted to use my external USB keyboard to the same effect.

I can, however, select a boot mode using the keyboard when I get to the advanced boot options. I cannot, however, do restores because it requires a password (which cannot be typed).

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Joshua Embrey, Mar 27, 2016
  3. JimJKelly Win User
    usb mouse and keyboard won't work after login post the Windows 10 1703 update.

usb mouse and keyboard won't work after login (i.e. I can't interact with the PC) post the Windows 10 1703 update. I have a Dell XPS Desktop.

Here's the behaviour I'm seeing

1) When I switch on the PC it goes though it's boot sequence and brings up the login screen. At this point the usb keyboard and mouse work.

2) After I enter my username and password I'm logged in but the keyboard and mouse will not work. I've tried rebooting, switching ports but it does not work.

any ideas?

JimJKelly, Mar 27, 2016
  4. Keyboard works in boot up for password and not when I enter Windows 10

I have the same issue and have basically tried the same thing

bigfellani5, Mar 28, 2016
  5. FXP
    fxp Win User
    I fixed the problem! It turned out it was WINDOWS 10 that caused the problem. The Filter Keys were somehow switched on and it disables the keyboard for handicapped users. I discovered this on another machine when it happened too, but this time an unrecognized icon appeared in my system tray. The icon was for these filter keys and when I turned them off the keyboard came back. How this stupid thing got toggled on I don't have a clue. The original PC with the problem didn't show the Filter Key icon in the system tray so I was stumped, didn't know they existed. Something for others to check, if this should happen to them.

6. Glad you found the problem and solved it
    Can you please mark this as solved that way as you say it might help others

hTconeM9user, Apr 12, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    Congrats.
    Deserve a rep.
    Happy computing.

davidhk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Keyboard works in boot up for password and not when I enter Windows 10

1. Keyboard works in boot up for password and not when I enter Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Keyboard works boot

2. windows password when boot up:

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows password when boot up:: OK: I am afraid of my pc been gotten into I passworded when boots up to windows it ask for it how many times do they enter if incorrect what does it do? thanks ? also if I ever sell this how do I get rid of the password for windowes log in:...
  3. windows password when boot up:

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows password when boot up:: OK: I am afraid of my pc been gotten into I passworded when boots up to windows it ask for it how many times do they enter if incorrect what does it do? thanks ? also if I ever sell this how do I get rid of the password for windowes log in:...
  4. Keyboard not working when entering Microsoft account password on lockscreen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Keyboard not working when entering Microsoft account password on lockscreen: Hello so I got into a problem that I am facing. So I was thinking of removing my pin from windows 10 latest update and turn on "power on when AC connected" from bios so I can continue downloading games automatically even if there's a power outage. I followed these exact...
  5. Keyboard not working when entering Microsoft account password on lockscreen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard not working when entering Microsoft account password on lockscreen: Hello so I got into a problem that I am facing. So I was thinking of removing my pin from windows 10 latest update and turn on "power on when AC connected" from bios so I can continue downloading games automatically even if there's a power outage. I followed these exact...
  6. Keyboard not working when entering Microsoft account password on lockscreen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. incorrect password when i enter it

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    incorrect password when i enter it: recently my pc got a blue screen. i changed a setting in control panel, it was something alomg the lines of max processor cores. i have an 8 core ryzen 5 2600x cpu, but i chose 16 because i was informed the setting also counted cpu threads. i made a system restore point...
  8. Unable to enter password when Windows 10 boots up.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unable to enter password when Windows 10 boots up.: When I turn on my Acer PC Windows 10 boots up to the wallpaper screen where the date and time are showing in the lower left corner and the monitor is showing in the lower right corner. When I press any key to bring up where I enter the password the screen goes black for a...
  9. Unable to enter password when Windows 10 boots up.

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to enter password when Windows 10 boots up.: When I turn on my Acer PC Windows 10 boots up to the wallpaper screen where the date and time are showing in the lower left corner and the monitor is showing in the lower right corner. When I press any key to bring up where I enter the password the screen goes black for a...
  10. Keyboard won't work to enter password, but works after log in

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard won't work to enter password, but works after log in: Dell PC - keyboard has stopped working to enter password. I must enter the password using On Screen Keyboard. Once the password is entered and I am logged on, the keyboard works normally. Does anyone know how this can be corrected? Thanks!...