Windows 10: Kids user accounts and family settings

Discus and support Kids user accounts and family settings in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Ive upgraded from Win 8 to Win 10. I had 2 adult local accounts and 2 kids local accounts. I also have the 1 Microsoft account. I don't want to... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by haffy, Aug 7, 2015.

1. haffy Win User

Kids user accounts and family settings

Ive upgraded from Win 8 to Win 10.

I had 2 adult local accounts and 2 kids local accounts. I also have the 1 Microsoft account.

I don't want to use the Microsoft account signin on my laptop I want to use my local.

Is there a way to assign the existing local kids accounts to family without having to create new ones ? The kids are worried that if I do this they will lose their existing apps/game settings on the local accounts.

:)

haffy, Aug 7, 2015
  2. Ziaudin Win User

Setting up a child account in Family Security windows 10

Ever since I've upgraded to windows 10, the family safety restrictions applied on my kids account have been disappeared and now after having tired everything I am not able to add my kids account to Family Security for monitoring.

As per instructions I've created my kids account on outlook and they use that account to login but without any family security settings. In my settings, their account temporaritly appear as pending or as other users. When I try to send invitation to their
    email through online family seciruty, it gives the msg that they are already in your family! I couldn't understand why Microsoft have made this process so complicated.

I have tried every thing they have given help on but still not succeeded to set up the montoring on kids account. Please help and guide me to do that.

Thanks

Ziaudin, Aug 7, 2015
  3. Windows Upgrade advisor App from the store

What is your age Alvin?

So if your windows phone is linked to a family account then you will need to have the permissions reset by the owner of the family account (your parent??).

Set up your family

Family makes it faster than ever to add family members to each
    Windows 10 PC you sign in to with your Microsoft account.

Family also lets adults keep kids stay safer online. Adults in the family can see reports of kids’ online activity, limit how long and when kids use their
    Windows 10 devices, set smart limits on kids’ spending, and help make sure kids don't see inappropriate websites, apps, or games. If you used Family Safety on an earlier version of Windows, you’ll need to add your family
    members again for kids’ settings to apply on
    Windows 10 devices.

Adults in the family can manage family settings online at

account.microsoft.com/family
    , and changes will be applied to any Windows 10 device the child signs in to.

To set up a PC for people already in your Microsoft family, select the
    Start button, then select Settings > Accounts >
    Family & other users. Select their accounts to add them to this PC. The first time they sign in, they’ll need to enter the password for their Microsoft account.

Read this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17199/windows-10-set-up-your-family

Jack Cook - aka Help_Line, Aug 7, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Aug 7, 2015
  5. haffy Win User
    Thanks for the links.

I want to create the kids family accounts but it forces you to assign /create an email even after selecting no email . then trying to enter something that is similar to their name doesnt work either as i get errors 'part of reserved domain' even when i put total random characters.

All i want to do is add the existing local kids accounts to the family list but it doesn't let me do that without assigning them an email? Is this correct?

This new MS stuff sucks its just not that straightforward and they are trying to force you into email accounts when you dont want one.

haffy, Aug 7, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 7, 2015
  7. haffy Win User
    Ive tried this and no matter what i enter it gives an error, as below...

haffy, Aug 8, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Aug 8, 2015
  9. haffy Win User
    Ive tried this and no matter what i enter it gives an error, as below...

Kids user accounts and family settings [​IMG]

haffy, Aug 8, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You would need to use the "Use their email address instead" option instead since you are not wanting to create a new account for them, but just add them to the Family instead.

Hope this helps for now. *Smile

Brink, Aug 8, 2015
  11. haffy Win User
    Thanks but...
    it means i need to set up a new Microsoft Hotmail account for my kids first ! I really didnt want them to have an account yet which is why I think the whole thing sucks. We should be able to do family settings at a local account per PC level without the need to have emails for them, but this forces me to create hotmail accounts *Sad

haffy, Aug 8, 2015
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Nar, you should be able to enter their current email address for their existing Microsoft account after having switched their accounts as posted above.

Brink, Aug 8, 2015
  13. haffy Win User

Thanks for trying to help, but it doesnt solve my problem. They dont have email accounts and i didnt want them to yet. But this forces me to create new Hotmail accounts for them before i can set them up on my pc .

haffy, Aug 8, 2015
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    If you like, the process of switching their current local accounts on the PC to Microsoft accounts will set up that up for you.

Afterwards, you would just need to add their Microsoft account as a child to your family online.

Brink, Aug 8, 2015
  15. haffy Win User
    This is directed at Microsoft not anyone here but seriously I work in IT and this whole kids account set up is totally insane.

you have to start in the kids local account
    sign up for a hotmail email address (this doesnt ask for all data to start with just basic), once done
    swap back to your admin account log into family settings and send an invite.
    swap back to the kids account using the new Microsoft login
    open the invite email and hit accept which now asks you to enter some more details like gender and date of birth. what it dosnt say is you need to click the accept on the email again and then select NOT NOW for it to actually accept (this bit really isnt explained or makes any sense)
    swap back to your main admin account log into family settings and at last you can now make some restrictions.

haffy, Aug 8, 2015
Thema:

1. Kids user accounts and family settings - Similar Threads - Kids user accounts

2. Microsoft Family, Kids, Admin Users, and Gaming

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft Family, Kids, Admin Users, and Gaming: Hey everyone!I have a question - I'm using Microsoft Family and Safety for my family. I have a few children. When I set them up on their computers as admins, Microsoft Family and Safety gives me a warning "...is and Administrator on PC_NAME so certain Family Safety features...
  3. Microsoft Family, Kids, Admin Users, and Gaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Family, Kids, Admin Users, and Gaming: Hey everyone!I have a question - I'm using Microsoft Family and Safety for my family. I have a few children. When I set them up on their computers as admins, Microsoft Family and Safety gives me a warning "...is and Administrator on PC_NAME so certain Family Safety features...
  4. Microsoft Family, Kids, Admin Users, and Gaming

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Setting up accounts for kids

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Setting up accounts for kids: Hi I'd like to be able to set up two accounts for the kids on the laptop. One where they can access minecraft, roblox etc. The other where these are blocked so they can only access educational websites that I choose. Is there a way to do this please?...
  6. Setup family account for my kids

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Setup family account for my kids: I set up my daughter Jade Mercer under the family Microsoft account her email address is Jadeelisemercer.gmail.com however when we try to sign in it says that ithe email does not exist. What has happened here as it's definitely been registered. And confirm email sent. Please...
  7. Help reset family account - kids password

Help reset family account - kids password: Team, i have been looking for a way to reset my kids password. I had only used that account for xbox profile as she is pretty young to use it anywhere else. all the forums only mention about using recovery form to rest password.. which is total BS form as there are so...
  8. Minecraft Online Play with account kids managed with family

Minecraft Online Play with account kids managed with family: I have an account that manages the Family in which a user is a 12 year old girl. I have an XBOX Live Gold subscription. A Windows 10 PC where I purchased Minecraft on the store. The girl's user allows the application to work offline but prevents the Online one because it says...
  9. Family account setting for kids - set hours

Family account setting for kids - set hours: I'm trying to change the settings of the hours my kids can use the computer. Currently it is set to 6:30-21:30 Every time I try to change it I get a screen saying sorry something went wrong with an trace id like: TraceId: 4hRRRny/cEKPs0MY.3.17.70...
  10. Download apps purchased by kid accounts in family

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Download apps purchased by kid accounts in family: I used the family function to link my two Microsoft accounts since one had an app code redeemed on it but I set it as a child account since I don't use it anymore. Can I download the app in question (bought with the old/child account) to my PC which is connected to my new...