Windows 10: Add or Update Security Questions for Local Account in Windows 10

Discus and support Add or Update Security Questions for Local Account in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Add or Update Security Questions for Local Account in Windows 10 [img] Information Starting with Windows 10 build 17063, Microsoft added... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Add or Update Security Questions for Local Account in Windows 10

How to: Add or Update Security Questions for Local Account in Windows 10

Add or Update Security Questions for Local Account in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Starting with Windows 10 build 17063, Microsoft added the use of security questions to local accounts in Windows 10.

Security questions will provide an extra layer of protection for your local account in case you forget your password.

Available security questions for local account:
    • What was your first pet's name?
    • What's the name of the city where you were born?
    • What was your childhood nickname?
    • What's the name of the city where your parents met?
    • What's the first name of your oldest cousin?
    • What's the name of the first school you attended?
    If you already have a reset your password, whereupon clicking you’ll be prompted to enter the answers to your security questions.

This tutorial will show you how to add or update your security questions for your local account in Windows 10.

Here's How:

1. Sign in to your local account.

2. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Accounts icon.

3. Click/tap on Sign-on options on the left side, and click/tap on the Update your security questions link under the Password section on the right side. (see screenshot below)

4. Type the password for your local account, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

5. Select your security questions in the drop menu, enter your answers for them one at a time, and click/tap on Finish when done. (see screenshot below)

6. You can now close Settings if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Apr 16, 2017

2. Local account installation question

I'm fairly certain that Skip this step was available in 10.0.130 - the workaround in Step 20 (back button) is no longer required.

The currently known, as of 10.0.130, ways to create a Local account sign-in are
    • Skip this step at the MS account creation phase
    • No Internet connection during the install
    • static IP (post# 2 by Fragment) - New (to me anyway)

Slartybart, Oct 26, 2019
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows 10 Update

Well just noticed a pretty large one pop up coming in at 914MB, seems it makes some pretty serous updates.

KB3172985
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172985

This security update includes improvements and fixes in the functionality of Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4. It also resolves the following vulnerabilities in Windows:

• 3175677 MS16-094: Security update for secure boot: July 12, 2016
    • 3174060 MS16-093: Security update for Adobe Flash Player: July 12, 2016
    • 3171910 MS16-092: Security update for Windows Kernel: July 12, 2016
    • 3170048 MS16-091: Security update for .Net Framework: July 12, 2016
    • 3171481 MS16-090: Security update for Kernel Mode Drivers: July 12, 2016
    • 3170050 MS16-089: Security update for Windows secure kernel mode: July 12, 2016
    • 3170005 MS16-087: Security update for the Microsoft Print Spooler: July 12, 2016
    • 3169999 MS16-085: Cumulative security update for Microsoft Edge: July 12, 2016
    • 3169991 MS16-084: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: July 12, 2016

AsRock, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Zakin Win User

Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown Add or Update Security Questions for Local Account in Windows 10 :(

Zakin, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Shawn Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  6. How to remove security questions and answers for local user accounts?

Hello!

At installation of Windows 10 April 2018 Update ( Windows 10 version 1803 ) using bootable media I am prompted to choose 3 security questions from a list of common questions and to write the answers for them.

This should serve the purpose of account recovery in case I forget the password.

The problem is that these questions are very common and many people know the answers or can get some hints by doing a search on the web.

I want to remove these questions and answers.

In "Settings" app -> Accounts -> Sign-in options -> "Update your security questions" there are the same questions as in Setup.

Does anyone have any idea on how to remove the questions and their answers for a local user account?

Thank you!

Sorin-Mircea Neagoe, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Add or Update Security Questions for Local Account in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Add Update Security

2. Local User Account and I want to update the security questions, but can't.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Local User Account and I want to update the security questions, but can't.: Hello,I am having an issue with updating the security questions as a local user. I am not looking for the answer by signing in to an email account. I have looked online and on Youtube for answers and supposedly it was located in the sign-in option, but I went in there and it...
  3. Local User Account and I want to update the security questions, but can't.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Local User Account and I want to update the security questions, but can't.: Hello,I am having an issue with updating the security questions as a local user. I am not looking for the answer by signing in to an email account. I have looked online and on Youtube for answers and supposedly it was located in the sign-in option, but I went in there and it...
  4. Windows and local account question

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows and local account question: Hello I'm going to need to switch my harddrive out soon and read that if i used the activation feature and linked my digital license to a Microsoft account I would be able to add windows to my new HD after I change it. The problem I'm having is that when I login my...
  5. Local Account question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Local Account question: Hi, I am in the process of upgrading from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro. And once it is upgraded, I want to get a local account, not a MS account. In reading the steps involved in this process, it says that you will come to a window where you are asked to verify your current...
  6. Add picture to a Local Account (Creators Update)

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Add picture to a Local Account (Creators Update): I’ve just installed Win10 Creators Update. When I went to create an account for my sister (Add a family member) it seemed impossible to do so without using an email address. I merely wanted a simple account for her to use when she visits. I was able to do this by creating...
  7. Enable or Disable Security Questions for Local Accounts in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Security Questions for Local Accounts in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Security Questions for Local Accounts in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Use of Security Questions for Local Accounts in Windows 10 Starting with local accounts in Windows 10. Security questions will provide an extra layer of protection...
  8. Local account installation question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Local account installation question: Hey all, just wondering what to look for when I get around to installing 10 after the release as to local account setup. It was tricky with 8/8.1 so want to avoid any problems. Skipping step(s), small worded info on lower part of screen, etc. I did a search here and looks...
  9. Add Local Account or Microsoft Account in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Local Account or Microsoft Account in Windows 10: How to: Add Local Account or Microsoft Account in Windows 10 How to Add a Local Account or Microsoft Account in Windows 10 You need a user account to use Windows, and if you share a single PC with other people, each person should have their own account. Each person can...
  10. Add Password to Local Account in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Password to Local Account in Windows 10: How to: Add Password to Local Account in Windows 10 How to Add Password to Local Account in Windows 10 [img] Information Using a strong password is among the most important steps you can take to protect your computer from hackers and other unwelcome users. If you...