Windows 10: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED BSoD while playing XCOM

Discus and support KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED BSoD while playing XCOM in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I can't seem to catch a break. I have tried numerous solutions and it's getting to the point where I feel like my lack of understanding is leading me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DragonVerity, Mar 21, 2017.

1. KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED BSoD while playing XCOM

I can't seem to catch a break. I have tried numerous solutions and it's getting to the point where I feel like my lack of understanding is leading me to potentially making a mistake that might cost me more than it helps in the long run. The nvlddmkm.sys file has a lot to do with it but I'm also seeing ntoskrnl.exe. I thought it was a driver issue but I keep trying to troubleshoot and nothing works. I checked my listed specs on here and I think it's mostly up to date.

:)

DragonVerity, Mar 21, 2017
  2. dire-x Win User

BSOD Memory_Management and other

Just had another BSOD, this time it was a KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. Was playing Guild Wars 2 while Firefox was open playing a video on Youtube.

another minidump

dire-x, Mar 21, 2017
  3. AEDGraphx Win User
    Fresh install, 4 different BSOD's

So, I managed last night to play both Xcom and the updated version of Dying light (which previously had hangs and freezes) for over two hours total, that's a huge change, and the only thing I did was tweak graphics settings in the game itself. However, after
    an hour or so of playing Xcom today, I had a BSOD, a repeat as the machine tried to reboot, and then again when I tried to open chrome and skype to write this. Only the first BSOD created a dmp though.

Link to latest bsod: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=3E2BBFAB9B78F356!872&authkey=!ANfX_soyYxHhE_4&ithint=file,dmp

Also, have had speccy running anytime I do anything, temps definitely weren't too high.

AEDGraphx, Mar 21, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED BSoD while playing XCOM

Hello *Smile

The BSOD files do indicate the graphics driver. If you have not yet done a full uininstall followed by installing the minimum drivers necessary please do this to see if it helps.

The best way to do this is to uninstall everything of Nvidia using Display Driver Uninstaller and install new drivers from your Graphics card manufacturer or from the NVidia website. When you do this be sure the "clean install" box is checked and only install the Graphics driver and the PhysX driver.

philc43, Mar 21, 2017
  5. Okay I ran the uninstaller in Safe Mode, and now I'm getting the latest driver, I will restart in safe mode and then select to do a clean install. I haven't run that uninstaller before so I am optimistic, I will let you know what happens. Thank you for your quick response.

6. When I did the reinstall I selected to do a clean installation. I unchecked the 3D vision driver as well as the HD audio driver and just installed the graphics driver. There was no PhysX driver listed so I am assuming that is included with the graphics driver.

7. Okay so between my various tasks today I had about 2 hours to test the stability now that I've replaced the drivers. The game suffered a CTD after the first hour, but I figured it was due to the previous BSOD issues. I verified file integrity and sure enough steam found a missing file so I let it redownload and played for another 45 mins or so with no apparent issues. Is there anything I should do? I have the GPU performance test program and I haven't run a chkdisk in a while. Should I toe the line and just hope for the best or should I be responsible?

DragonVerity, Mar 22, 2017
  8. philc43 Win User

It will not hurt to run a Furmark GPU test provided you monitor the GPU temperature and abort the test if it goes above 80°C/176°F.

Chkdsk is also worth running to verify your disks are all OK. Follow the procedure in this tutorial: Drive Error Checking in Windows 10

philc43, Mar 22, 2017
  9. Thank you very much! I will do both of those things, but for now I'm marking this as solved! So very appreciated.

DragonVerity, Mar 23, 2017
  10. I just had another crash and decided to run furmark and I got to 80°C very quickly.

11. philc43 Win User
    Post a new set of log files then we can take a look at what happened.

The GPU can tolerate short periods of up to 95°C but I prefer to keep them at around 80-85°C max. Perhaps try running with the case open or add another system fan.

philc43, Mar 23, 2017
  12. Okay I've updated the attached crash log in the initial post with the most recent data. If you need me to I can attach it to a new reply. What perplexes me about all of this is that I've been able to run Doom IV and if memory serves it was no problem. Is it possible to have a technological hex of some sort that causes a person to never have good luck with computers? Is there a ritual I can do? I'm half kidding...

13. rydhan Win User

Hey,
    Okey so you are still getting BSODs after using DD uninstaller.

Code: *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvlddmkm.sysProbably caused by : nvlddmkm.sys ( nvlddmkm+261d39 ) Image path: \SystemRoot\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_f37f8f12da8b10d7\nvlddmkm.sys Image name: nvlddmkm.sys Browse all global symbols functions data Timestamp: Thu Mar 16 23:38:26 2017 (58CB13E2) *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for hcmon.sys*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for hcmon.sys hcmon+0x318a Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\hcmon.sys Image name: hcmon.sys Browse all global symbols functions data Timestamp: Thu Aug 18 07:43:53 2016 (57B54B19) *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for CMUSBDAC.sys*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for CMUSBDAC.sys CMUSBDAC+0x12e823 Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\CMUSBDAC.sys Image name: CMUSBDAC.sys Browse all global symbols functions data Timestamp: Tue Nov 29 05:30:23 2016 (583D045F)[/quote]

i can see references in the stack to hcmon.sys (VMware). I also found a reference in the stack to a DAC Device driver (cmusbdac.sys) by looking at the manufactors webiste there might not be any windows 10 drivers for the device.

So I would suggest uninstalling VMware and the USB DAC device or update them. please note that I'm just getting into analysing BSODs so you might wanna wait for Philc43 to get back to you.

rydhan, Mar 25, 2017
  14. I found a VMware listed in my drivers and removed it. I don't know how to find the USBDAC driver and I don't know what USB device it is referring to. Is it my old Kinect? maybe. I think I will unplug it just to be safe. I was messing around with the developer tools for it for a while.

DragonVerity, Mar 25, 2017
  15. rydhan Win User
    Okay so you did find the VMware driver.

It's some kind of digital-to-analog converter USB device. I doubt that it's the kinect.

A DAC Device tend to be connected into a sound amplifier. I don't know if some USB headsets have a DAC built in. In that case it might be a USB headset.

I'm afraid that I'm not sure where you could find an updated version of the driver.

rydhan, Mar 25, 2017
Thema:

1. KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED BSoD while playing XCOM - Similar Threads - KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED BSoD while

2. BSOD KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED while in use

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BSOD KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED while in use: I was watching Twitch and got this BSOD. I tried Driver Verifier using the instructions here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/driver-verifier-tracking-down-a-mis-behaving/f5cb4faf-556b-4b6d-95b3-c48669e4c983and this is the dmp...
  3. BSOD KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED while in use

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED while in use: I was watching Twitch and got this BSOD. I tried Driver Verifier using the instructions here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/driver-verifier-tracking-down-a-mis-behaving/f5cb4faf-556b-4b6d-95b3-c48669e4c983and this is the dmp...
  4. BSOD KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED while in use

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. BSOD While Uploading Files - KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD While Uploading Files - KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED: Hello, When I upload large files to onedrive or youtube I'm getting a blue screen - KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED Here are the 3 latest dump files: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApPgKasUnsY17X491GXHugspXPlX?e=0NvfRQ Not sure how to fix it : Edit: Specs: MSI GeForce RTX 3080...
  6. BSOD While in desktop, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

BSOD While in desktop, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED: Greetings, Since last friday my pc is hanging with weird BSOD's all the time at random times with diffrent errors. The first one, DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER, was related to nvidia driver as i saw this: nvlddmkm.sys. So i reinstalled the drivers after removing the old...
  7. BSOD whilst playing XCOM 2

BSOD whilst playing XCOM 2: Hello all, Started getting random BSOD during XCOM 2, been absolutely fine up until now. No other BSODs during other activities. From looking at BlueScreenViewer it points to both cng.sys and ntsokernel.exe. The actual BSOD is IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL 0x0000000a....
  8. BSOD While browsing in Chrome "Kmode_exception_not_handled

BSOD While browsing in Chrome "Kmode_exception_not_handled: 1Rocster-PC.7z Thanks 106405
  9. BSOD on new build, while playing CS:GO. [KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED]

BSOD on new build, while playing CS:GO. [KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED]: Hi, I just recently built a new system, here are the specs: ---------------------------------------------------------- CPU: Intel I5-6500 3.2GHz Motherboard: ASUS H170 Pro Gaming LGA 1151 Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 80+ Gold GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Storage:...
  10. red screen crash while playing xcom 2

red screen crash while playing xcom 2: I have been trying to play xcom 2 for the past week and every time during the first 10-30 minutes the game crashes along with the pc and I get a red screen with no text. I have to manually turn off my computer and my pc creates a dump file. This has happened every time except...