Windows 10: kms license expiring - what to do and what will happen?

Discus and support kms license expiring - what to do and what will happen? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Other than the watermark, I haven't experienced any issues, but it has only been an hour or so after the license expired yesterday. I tried the generic... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by dj44, Apr 17, 2017.

1. dj44 Win User

kms license expiring - what to do and what will happen?

Other than the watermark, I haven't experienced any issues, but it has only been an hour or so after the license expired yesterday. I tried the generic Windows 10 pro product key mentioned above, and it changed the error code but nothing else. As long as the computer won't shut down every two hours or anything else drastic, I can live with the watermark.

2. mikiep Win User

Look....

kms license expiring - what to do and what will happen? [​IMG]

Windows10_InsiderPreview_EnterpriseVL_x64_en-us_15063.iso

mikiep, Apr 20, 2017
  3. As far as I know that is not supposed to happen ever!

alphanumeric, Apr 20, 2017
  4. kms license expiring - what to do and what will happen?

come on folks somewhere on that laptop it says when it was manufactured and should have it's serial number and model number. check with the manufacture and they should have the product key. good chance you will still need to contact ms but with the key in hand you should be able to get the os activated legally.

ChaChaLaBoom, Apr 20, 2017
  5. Good luck with that, I would be very surprised if the OEM would give you key based on that info. Assuming they keep that detailed of an info in the first place.

6. Well just for fun I did a change key on my 10 Pro 1703 install and entered my MSDN 10 Enterprise MAK key. It upgraded and shows as activated with a Digital License linked to my Microsoft account. I'm still of the opinion that that shouldn't happen though. IMHO its a glitch that will be fixed at some point.

7. Tried it on a second PC and it didn't work. It was 10 Home 1703. MAK key was rejected via change key. Entered the generic Pro key and it upgraded to pro though, and activated with a DL it already had. Then tried my MAK key again and it was accepted, upgraded but won't activate? Windows can't activate with this product key, 0xc004b100. Was able to go back to 10 Pro by entering the Pro generic key though. Now shows activated with a digital license.

8. mikiep Win User

Glad to see it works your way too. Curious if the OP has a MS account ? Maybe he would do well to join the insiders, but I think he may need to reinstall fresh now that it has expired. Eventually his expired 10pro will start shutting down and if I remember correctly eventually it will cease to boot.

mikiep, Apr 20, 2017
  9. Worked once and failed once. And no insider builds here.

10. dj44 Win User
    What would really help is for someone to tell me how long i can keep using the computer in the current state.

11. Bree New Member
    As far as I am aware, there is no time limit. It is however against the EULA to use an unlicensed system.

12. Bat 1 Win User
    On This Forum, Nobody is supposed to give any help to someone running a Pirated copy of Windows, or possibly a PC that's been stolen from a University, Business, or etc. There are other Forums where You could get that kind of help, but Not here.

If You'd post Your Specs and the results from ShowKeyPlus it would most likely be a simple process to get You a Genuine copy of Windows running.

Bat 1, Apr 21, 2017
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

Lately, I've been having activation problems on the activation screen under updates and security. I've had to open a command prompt and run slmgr /ato to get activation.

NavyLCDR, Apr 21, 2017
  14. Tried doing the upgrade from Pro to Enterprise on a second PC and same deal. Upgrades but won't activate. I'm going to clean install Enterprise on my spare desktop PC latter on today some time and see what happens.

alphanumeric, Apr 21, 2017
  15. cereberus Win User
    No it will not expire BUT it will if he joins Insider and does not keep it up to date.

There is a common misunderstanding about using Insider versions without activation. Whilst you can do it, you get all the same restrictions as a normal install.

cereberus, Apr 21, 2017
Thema:

1. kms license expiring - what to do and what will happen? - Similar Threads - kms license expiring

2. What will happen to Windows Enterprise when ME3 expires

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What will happen to Windows Enterprise when ME3 expires: We use Windows 10 Enterprise via Microsoft 365 E3 plan KMS deploymentWe won't renew ME3 next year. When the license expires, will Windows return to Windows Pro?I found a few answers online, some say that only the advanced features of Win Enterprise are deactivated and Windows...
  3. What will happen to Windows Enterprise when ME3 expires

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    What will happen to Windows Enterprise when ME3 expires: We use Windows 10 Enterprise via Microsoft 365 E3 plan KMS deploymentWe won't renew ME3 next year. When the license expires, will Windows return to Windows Pro?I found a few answers online, some say that only the advanced features of Win Enterprise are deactivated and Windows...
  4. What will happen to Windows Enterprise when ME3 expires

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Windows 10 KMS activation expires soon, what will happen??

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 KMS activation expires soon, what will happen??: Hello, so I'm coming with an important question. So I activated my Windows 10 with a KMS key, now windows keeps informating me to active windows. What will happen if I don't active windows, will my windows be blocked or will the watermark pop up and some options will not be...
  6. What happens to digital license on old machine

What happens to digital license on old machine: Hello, I am building a new machine in the next few days. I have a digital license for Windows Pro 64 bit on the old machine. When installing Win10 64 bit on the new machine I'd like to use that digital license to get the Pro features. So, what happens to the old...
  7. windows license is going to be expired soon what to do?

windows license is going to be expired soon what to do?: 0xc004f074 is the activation fail error code.what to do after getting this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-license-is-going-to-be-expired-soon-what/eff5571d-aa46-44f3-96ea-f9711e4d1931
  8. What happens to a mapped windows share if password expires?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What happens to a mapped windows share if password expires?: Hi! I am trying to figure this out, but can not find any definite answers. I have a non-domain joined server with a share. And a user that has access to map that share. This user does not have "Password never expires" enabled. From my Client computer, I map up this...
  9. What are KMS and MAK Volume Licensing Keys of Windows

in Windows 10 News
    What are KMS and MAK Volume Licensing Keys of Windows: [ATTACH] Microsoft wants to make sure that every Windows 10 that is used is activated i.e. marked as genuine. When a copy of Windows is activated it goes through a check. The way a copy of Windows is activated differently from each [...] This post What are KMS and MAK Volume...
  10. What happens when VM Windows expires?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    What happens when VM Windows expires?: This question might be obvious to some people, but I've only had 11 days experience with a VM. I created the VM with a downloaded build 10586 ISO, and I was wondering about W10 expiring in less than 3 weeks. Will I be able to make a new VM with a new trial period, or will I...