Windows 10: KVA Shadow: Mitigating Meltdown on Windows

Discus and support KVA Shadow: Mitigating Meltdown on Windows in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; On January 3rd, 2018, Microsoft released an advisory and security updates that relate to a new class of discovered hardware vulnerabilities, termed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

KVA Shadow: Mitigating Meltdown on Windows

Source: KVA Shadow: Mitigating Meltdown on Windows Defense

:)

Brink, Mar 25, 2018

2. meltdown patch related question.

I was able to go through some hoops and was able to get the latest microcode for my Intel kaby lake processor loaded using this Vmware windows driver tool. However there doesn't seem to be a way to enable the windows patch on the fly unfortunately. Is there
    anyway to get windows to enable the meltdown patch after boot up? I do hear the patch is being pulled because of the AMD issue so who knows now totally. I was mainly trying to do this so on old machines with no hope of a BIOS update anytime soon could be
    patched.

Now I get this on the patch test.

PS C:\script\SpeculationControl> Get-SpeculationControlSettings

Speculation control settings for CVE-2017-5715 [branch target injection]

Hardware support for branch target injection mitigation is present: True

Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is present: True

Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is enabled: False

Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is disabled by system policy: False

Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is disabled by absence of hardware support: False

Speculation control settings for CVE-2017-5754 [rogue data cache load]

Hardware requires kernel VA shadowing: True

Windows OS support for kernel VA shadow is present: True

Windows OS support for kernel VA shadow is enabled: True

Windows OS support for PCID performance optimization is enabled: True [not required for security]

Suggested actions

* Follow the guidance for enabling Windows Client support for speculation control mitigations described in https://support.microsoft.com/help/4073119

BTIHardwarePresent : True

BTIWindowsSupportPresent : True

BTIWindowsSupportEnabled : False

BTIDisabledBySystemPolicy : False

BTIDisabledByNoHardwareSupport : False

KVAShadowRequired : True

KVAShadowWindowsSupportPresent : True

KVAShadowWindowsSupportEnabled : True

KVAShadowPcidEnabled : True

Moved fromKVA Shadow: Mitigating Meltdown on Windows :( Windows / Windows 10 / Security & privacy )

TyPangburn, Mar 25, 2018
  3. 5c66d81a-1cc8-4430-ba2e-a43be2595fdb, Mar 25, 2018
Thema:

KVA Shadow: Mitigating Meltdown on Windows

1. KVA Shadow: Mitigating Meltdown on Windows - Similar Threads - KVA Shadow Mitigating

2. BSOD mitigation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD mitigation: My pc started Blue screening today and after eventually removing 3/4 of my RAM sticks it seems stable but wanted to get some eyes on a few dumps for clarification as IO've been having intermittent problems for a few weeks now....
  3. Total Meltdown

in Windows 10 Customization
    Total Meltdown: I purchased an HP in December and the start menus have not loaded. The touchpad does not work right. The other day the HP moved the cursor and made a change on twitter while my hands were more than a foot from the computer. I see something about resetting Windows that...
  4. Security Mitigations

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Security Mitigations: Under security mitigations in event viewer. I get several warnings of these a day. Process device harddisk volume 3 program files waterfox waterfox.exe was blocked for making system calls to win32k.sys. Is there anything I need to do to not get this worrying and can I just...
  5. Security Mitigations

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Security Mitigations: Under security mitigations in event viewer. I get several warnings of these a day. Process device harddisk volume 3 program files waterfox waterfox.exe was blocked for making system calls to win32k.sys. Is there anything I need to do to not get this worrying and can I just...
  6. How do I disable all the Spectre and Meltdown mitigations in Windows 10 1903?

How do I disable all the Spectre and Meltdown mitigations in Windows 10 1903?: I have a suspicion that one of them caused a performance regression in an application and I just want to test that hypothesis by disabling these fixes and comparing numbers. However with the Microsoft guide and the registry tweaks or with InSpectre I can't disable all of...
  7. spectre and meltdown

spectre and meltdown: After installed windows 10 1809 from 1709. I haven't perform any bios/uefi update except windows update. But inspectre program says microcode update available: yes instead of no. not to mention last time I performed bios/uefi update about 2 years ago. I'm...
  8. Can Spectre, Meltdown etc mitigations be bypassed?

Can Spectre, Meltdown etc mitigations be bypassed?: I noticed Chrome have updated their browser with a 'new security feature' that will keep users safe from Spectre etc, however it will use 10-13% more RAM because of the increased number of processes running in real time. With this in mind - I know Microsoft has said that...
  9. Can Spectre, Meltdown etc mitigations be bypassed?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can Spectre, Meltdown etc mitigations be bypassed?: I noticed Chrome have updated their browser with a 'new security feature' that will keep users safe from Spectre etc, however it will use 10-13% more RAM because of the increased number of processes running in real time. With this in mind - I know Microsoft has said that...
  10. Understanding performance impact of Spectre and Meltdown mitigations

in Windows 10 News
    Understanding performance impact of Spectre and Meltdown mitigations: Last week the technology industry and many of our customers learned of new vulnerabilities in the hardware chips that power phones, PCs and servers. We (and others in the industry) had learned of this vulnerability under nondisclosure agreement several months ago and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. kva shadowing windows 10

2. kva shadow windows