Windows 10: KVM example -- W8.1 VM being created

Discus and support KVM example -- W8.1 VM being created in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there I wish I'd done this earlier -- really flexible and much better performance than vmware or even Esxi. (note - when setting up storage... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Apr 17, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

KVM example -- W8.1 VM being created

Hi there

I wish I'd done this earlier -- really flexible and much better performance than vmware or even Esxi.

(note - when setting up storage pool / volumes for the VM - select RAW rather than the default qcows / qemu. It probably won't make a noticeable difference if you've got the whole kybosh on an SSD (or several SSD's) but I'm testing this on spinners currently.

Host is Linux centos 7 with KDE GUI -- I used that so I could use the libvirt GUI (virtual machine manager). Any Linux GUI can do --e.g GNOME if you prefer. Note though you can create and control VM's totally via the CLI if you don't want the overhead of a GUI on your Host OS.

Manging the VM's from the LOCAL machine is also good -- although from a remote machine simply use RDP or Tightvnc. Install on the Linux host package XRDP and then you can simply connect via standard RDP from a emote windows machine.

What I also like about this it's all 100% OPEN source / free -- and since CENTOS is 100% based on the really robust and very common Red Hat enterprise servers - the stuff works !!! and is robust. KVM is of course available on other common Linux distros too if you don't want to use CENTOS.

Note -- there is one defect - you can't use a physical CD / DVD for the VM creation -- simply use an iso image.

For people who don't want GUI's - you can run the whole setup via the CLI -- but in Testing mode I think using a GUI is easier to start with than building install scripts - although that's not hard either -- if you are coming FROM Windows and want to play with this type of stuff I'd recommend using GUI's first until you get a bit of practice..

KVM example -- W8.1 VM being created [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Apr 17, 2016
  2. fckofms Win User

Windows 10 does not shutdown properly.

Hello Community,

I have a problem with shutting down Windows 10.

My setup:

Windows 10 Pro runs via KVM and qemu as VM on a Ubuntu server.

Windows is installed as 64 bit version in UEFI mode and has been activated.

What I did:

I've disabled any kind of power save mode and quick start.

When I shut down Windows via the GUI, it seems like the system is shutting down normally.

But when I look at the VM Manager, the VM continues to run.

Well, normally, that wouldn't be a problem. Simply press Win+R (logged in as admin) and enter "shutdown /s /t 0". Wrong thought. This leads to exactly the same problem. To switch off Windows completely I have to restart the complete KVM host. That cannot be
    the solution.

Why I haven't switched to Linux long ago:

I only use Windows to play games. Linux with "wine" is too slow for that. That's why KVM is the best solution with vt-d and GPU Passtrough.

Can you help me, please? Thanks.

fckofms, Apr 17, 2016
  3. tsense Win User
    Buyer Beware: Microsoft is making up for years of getting screwed by crackers through screwing their paying customers

Purchased a Windows 10 pro license to operate inside of a KVM VM on a centos 7 machine. I had a fear when I purchased the digital license that I'd never be able to use it again if anything ever happened to the VM. A week later, the brand new Intel 600P 512G
    NVME OS drive took a dump and all of my VM OS images with it.

No big deal I thought, I can just setup the VM with the exact same parameters it had before and it will just reactivate without an issue..... I mean.... That's what they advertised would happen right?

Wrong....

The virtual machine, while using even the same mac addresses as before, is detected as being different from the previous machine. This is using identical versions of KVM, identical XML configurations, etc. And, of course, there's no proper support just the
    ability to click 'troubleshoot' and be told to sod off and buy a new license.

I've been a paying customer of MS products for over 20 years. I will not be purchasing any additional products from MS ever again. I will use Linux for my desktops and laptops instead of just for my servers. I will be cancelling my office 365 membership
    in favor of free alternatives. So, MS, it's your turn to sod off.

When this eventually goes to class action, I would like to be a participant.

tsense, Apr 17, 2016
Thema:

KVM example -- W8.1 VM being created

1. KVM example -- W8.1 VM being created - Similar Threads - KVM example being

2. Rocky Linux 9, Create VM gen 1 ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Rocky Linux 9, Create VM gen 1 ?: Hello,I can see on this link the avability to create a generation 2 VM for Rocky Linux 9, but when i create en generation 2 Vm for rocky linux the iso is unable to boot boot load failled - Not found HA for processor is disable !I can only boot from the iso with a generation 1...
  3. Rocky Linux 9, Create VM gen 1 ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Rocky Linux 9, Create VM gen 1 ?: Hello,I can see on this link the avability to create a generation 2 VM for Rocky Linux 9, but when i create en generation 2 Vm for rocky linux the iso is unable to boot boot load failled - Not found HA for processor is disable !I can only boot from the iso with a generation 1...
  4. creating a VM

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    creating a VM: I would like to create a VM, and I have watch video's on how to do this. The end product of what I'm looking for is to install Windows 11 on my F drive (SSD (500gb)). I've already found and made my windows 11.ISO file as well which is over on my C drive. If I create a VM and...
  5. Idiot's guide to creating a Win2GO Windows from KVM/QEMU VM (V2P)

Idiot's guide to creating a Win2GO Windows from KVM/QEMU VM (V2P): Hi there Easy now. Pre-reqs : 1) Bootable version of Macrium Free (use create stand alone recoverable media) on USB and Macrium Free installed in the VM. (It's easier this way). 2) A copy of a running version of Windows\System32\DriverStore from a physical Windows system --...
  6. Convert VMWare / Vbox VM's to KVM

Convert VMWare / Vbox VM's to KVM: Hi folks If you want to convert VMWare VM's or VBOX ones to KVM it's a fairly straight forward but longish process. depending on the size of the original VM's. The Virtual disk though must be in a single vdmk image so if you have several vdmk files (most people do not...
  7. W10 VM on W2K19 VM on KVM Host !! nested VM's

W10 VM on W2K19 VM on KVM Host !! nested VM's: Hi folks So far got HYPER-V to run on a Virtual machine creating a lower level W10 VM - The W2K19 machine is itself a VM running on under KVM/QEMU So far only got Gen 1 to work -- with Gen 2 machine starts but no video - will look at that later but here's the Gen 1 VM So...
  8. Macrium restore of a QUEMU / KVM W10 VM

Macrium restore of a QUEMU / KVM W10 VM: Hi folks One of the great things with QEMU/KVM VM's is that you can boot from physical devices INSIDE THE VM (and not just ISO's)-- I needed to restore a W10 VM as I'd hosed it up with some silly networking parameter errors etc. With the latest kernels you can Hot plug USB...
  9. Future of VM's - KVM, Windows and Vmware

Future of VM's - KVM, Windows and Vmware: Hi Folks I thought this is a reasoned (for once) and decently written informative article --not a sales pitch that we so often get from "Pseudo Technical" articles written in such places like PC magazine etc. Anyway enjoy -- you don't have to agree with it but I found...
  10. Upgrading a W8 to W10 VM in VMWARE

Upgrading a W8 to W10 VM in VMWARE: Hi there If you want to do an inplace upgrade of W8 to W10 in a VMware Virtual Machine UNINSTALL VMWARE TOOLS before you do the upgrade and then re-install them afterwards. Set the ISO image as your CD /DVD drive and simply run the setup from WITHIN the existing Virtual...