Windows 10: Lag Spike Issue after Boot on Nvidia GPU

Discus and support Lag Spike Issue after Boot on Nvidia GPU in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hi, I have a HP laptop with a Nvidia GeForce 940MX and everytime when I start up my laptop and play a game, the game suffers horribly lag spikes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by KyleLee088, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Lag Spike Issue after Boot on Nvidia GPU

Hi,

I have a HP laptop with a Nvidia GeForce 940MX and everytime when I start up my laptop and play a game, the game suffers horribly lag spikes where the FPS would go like 107fps, 50fps, 2fps, 62fps and then back to 110fps and repeat this over and over again. I find that the issue goes away when the computer "warms up" (when I feel that hot air is being blown out of the heat vent).

I have tried to do a clean reinstall of the GPU drivers using DDU but it haven't helped a single bit. What should I try to fix this?

:)

KyleLee088, Jun 17, 2017

2. Windows Defender causes any and all graphical programs to stutter when either ALT key is pressed or released

Clean boot "fixed" it, but I wanted to determine the cause for myself, so I narrowed down the culprit to "NVIDIA Capture Server Proxy", which is part of the Shadowplay feature of GeForce Experience (in the new, 3.0 version). Turning off "Share" on the main
    page fixes the issue. Going one step further, I determined that remapping my "push to talk" key causes THAT key to create the lag spikes.

Thanks for setting me on the right track... now I have another bug report to go fill out elsewhere... Lag Spike Issue after Boot on Nvidia GPU :(

Still... I wonder why Windows Defender would get excited whenever the push to talk key was pressed?

EDIT: Yea just a darn minute... That doesn't really explain at all why having "Realtime Protection" enabled causes a lag spike whenever I push that key.

TrevorHarris_753, Jun 17, 2017
  3. Intel + NVIDIA Laptop Freeze Problem ( FIX IT WINDOWS FIX IT!)

yes i confirm it

my laptop alienware 17 r4 have same lags.

Only way to slove it its turn off nvidia gpu or using some other software what is keeps nvidia gpu a live every 5 sec.

Alex_websec123, Jun 17, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

Lag Spike Issue after Boot on Nvidia GPU

Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:

1) winver (in the pop up about windows > view your windows version and build > type this information into the thread)

2) sfc /scannow

3) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

4) chkdsk /scan

When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on copy > paste into the thread

5) msconfig (in the pop up system configuration > move the dot from normal startup to selective startup > uncheck load startup items > click service tab > in left lower corner check hide all Microsoft services > in the lower right side click disable all > click apply or ok > do not reboot)

6) taskmgr (in the pop up task manager > click on the start up tab > click on status so that the column sorts with enable rising to the top > right click on each row with enable and change to disable)

7) shutdown /r (you will reboot the computer so that it is in clean boot)

Evaluate the performance on your computer in clean boot during typical use. Are the boots faster or slower? Are the shutdowns faster or slower? How has the video performance changed? Is it better, worse, or the same? Continue using clean boot indefinitely to monitor performance.

8) type control in the left lower corner search > click on control panel > click on large or small icons > click on troubleshooting > on the left pane click on view all > run the following windows troubleshooters:
    Hardware and Devices
    Video Playback
    For each troubleshooter make sure that advanced is clicked to apply repairs automatically.
    For each troubleshooter click on view detailed information.
    Report any problems that were fixed or not fixed.

zbook, Jun 17, 2017
  5. Microsoft Windows
    Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.413)

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.15063]
    (c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>winver

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.15063.0

Image Version: 10.0.15063.0

[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.
    The operation completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk /scan
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Volume label is OS.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
    622080 file records processed.
    File verification completed.
    11748 large file records processed.
    0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
    747550 index entries processed.
    Index verification completed.
    0 unindexed files scanned.
    0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
    Security descriptor verification completed.
    62736 data files processed.
    CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    39016040 USN bytes processed.
    Usn Journal verification completed.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
    No further action is required.

960968703 KB total disk space.
    187556408 KB in 428164 files.
    202252 KB in 62737 indexes.
    0 KB in bad sectors.
    775835 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    772434208 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    240242175 total allocation units on disk.
    193108552 allocation units available on disk.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

I have re-enabled all the services during startup as I find that if I leave them disabled, my laptop is extremely slow after boot (even Google Chrome takes 2 minutes to load up).
    Both troubleshooters returned with no problems detected.

I'm still having the lag issue.

KyleLee088, Jun 18, 2017
  6. zbook New Member
    Download and install the latest HP UEFI diagnostics: Version 6.3
    Power on your computer clicking the F2 or F10 keys.
    Navigate the bios to the UEFI diagnostics.
    Run the tests on your computer in either extensive or loop until failure.
    Plan to run overnight as the tests can take 4 to 6 hours depending on the memory and disk size.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/h.../pc-diags.html

zbook, Jun 18, 2017
  7. zbook New Member
    Please indicate if the UEFI studies do not run on your computer.
    If all of the HP tests pass plan stress testing with:

The Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool
    Download Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool
    Prime95 - Stress Test Your CPU Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    FurMark - GPU Stress Test Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer
    GIMPS - Free Prime95 software downloads - PrimeNet
    FurMark: VGA Stress Test, Graphics Card and GPU Stability Test, Burn-in Test, OpenGL Benchmark and GPU Temperature | oZone3D.Net

zbook, Jun 18, 2017
  8. Lag Spike Issue after Boot on Nvidia GPU

I have actually found out that the issue happens only if my laptop is not plugged in as if I plug the charger the GPU works fine. I'm pretty sure it is not the computer throttling the speed of the GPU as when I first bought the laptop the GPU performs perfectly even if not plugged in and I also have a older HP laptop with a Nvidia GPU which performs perfectly even if not plugged in.

KyleLee088, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Lag Spike Issue after Boot on Nvidia GPU

1. Lag Spike Issue after Boot on Nvidia GPU - Similar Threads - Lag Spike Issue

2. Latency Issues And Lag Spikes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Latency Issues And Lag Spikes: Obviously im not that good at tech so ive asked this but i get around 165-180 fps so i dont know why when i play fortnite for example it keeps lagging my screen idk what the word is but i think its jittering but its really been annoying me because ive just upgraded my gpu to...
  3. Latency Issues And Lag Spikes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Latency Issues And Lag Spikes: Obviously im not that good at tech so ive asked this but i get around 165-180 fps so i dont know why when i play fortnite for example it keeps lagging my screen idk what the word is but i think its jittering but its really been annoying me because ive just upgraded my gpu to...
  4. Latency Issues And Lag Spikes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. CPU lag spikes and Fan issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CPU lag spikes and Fan issues: I have a lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3, and everything was fine with my PC until yesterday evening. I didn't download anything, or change any settings, but I started noticing that in EVERY game that I play, my CPU spikes to 100% every 20-30 seconds. When the CPU spikes to 100%, my...
  6. CPU lag spikes and Fan issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CPU lag spikes and Fan issues: I have a lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3, and everything was fine with my PC until yesterday evening. I didn't download anything, or change any settings, but I started noticing that in EVERY game that I play, my CPU spikes to 100% every 20-30 seconds. When the CPU spikes to 100%, my...
  7. Lag Spikes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lag Spikes: So, I have had this computer for a month now and every game I have played I will get random lag spikes which in any game will often cause me to lose in the games I play. I play on a wireless internet and I can't have used ethernet and it has helped a bit but I cant always use...
  8. lag spikes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    lag spikes: i am getting weird lag spikes but when it happens i do a speed test and my results are good but i dont know what is causing this also when it happens there is weird noises too. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lag-spikes/daf4d076-a3a3-4b6a-aff3-bb915b6f0b31
  9. Lag spikes, connectivity issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Lag spikes, connectivity issues: Hey guys, whenever I play a game, I'm usually on 30-60 ping. But for the past few days, I've been getting ping spikes that go from 60-300. I've switched to the DNS 1.1.1.1, but I'm still getting these spikes. Any recommendations? submitted by /u/FastFanon [link]...
  10. Lag spikes.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lag spikes.: I have a problem with my internet. I've tried lots of things to fix it but it doesn't work. I even pinged my router, there weren't any registered changes in my connection when the spike has occurred....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nvidia lag on startup