Windows 10: Lag spikes / glitches affecting performance

Discus and support Lag spikes / glitches affecting performance in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I've been having a problem for the last week or so, basically I keep getting lag spikes / glitches that affect the performance of my machine. This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by beardo, Sep 29, 2015.

1. beardo Win User

Lag spikes / glitches affecting performance

I've been having a problem for the last week or so, basically I keep getting lag spikes / glitches that affect the performance of my machine. This manifests itself in the most obvious way as what can best be described as occasional "gzzzfchzz" sounds (much like a BSoD sound while playing video, but only for a fraction of a second). I first noticed it on YouTube and thought it may be a browser issue, but I've since experienced it playing literally any video or sound, and less obviously while doing anything whatsoever on my machine (although since they're only for a fraction of a second they're less obvious when doing anything without sound).

Someone else seems to have had the same problem as me:
    Occasional micro-stuttering / lag-spikes - Windows 10 Forums
    Although they don't say exactly how they fixed it...

I've had Windows 10 installed since the public release day, I have all drivers updated to the latest versions, and I'm running on an Intel i7-4770K (not overclocked) with 32GB of DDR3 RAM and a Samsung 840 EVO SSD so it's a system that really shouldn't be encountering any lag, especially just playing Netflix or an MP3.

Any help would be appreciated since it's driving me mad.

Here's a little clip of what happens, the glitch is half way through at 5 seconds:

[youtube]4sJTNl7WllM[/youtube]

:)

beardo, Sep 29, 2015
  2. RecLounge Win User

After the fall creators update, i am getting a new information event in my event viewer, event id 916, and would just like to know what it is

I too am experiencing the EXACT same issue - lots of ESENT (916) errors and THOUSANDS of "Audit Success" entries all coinciding with glitches or stutters while working on audio/visual applications. Any time I have a glitch or stutter or CPU spike, It's
    either coinciding with ESENT or Audit Success, 99.9% of the time.

What are these things and how can we prevent them from causing issues with our programs? I've read MANY people complaining about this affecting performance on games, A/V programs, CAD, and some people saying they're experiencing it just watching Youtube! It's
    clearly negatively affecting people's systems. Please, Microsoft - help us out here.

RecLounge, Sep 29, 2015
  3. Windows 10 tiny lag spikes and audio glitch

My OS version is 1703 Build 15063.674

I can't pinpoint when the problem really began, so update history won't be that helpful. If it did come with an update, it must have happened some time in September. The problem seems to only start when I'm watching HBO Go, but it persists even if I close
    the program (Chrome). I've updated my video driver, but I'm not sure what my audio device is. There are four options under that drop down,

High Definition Audio Device

Logitech USB microphone (definitely not that)

Nvidia High Definition Audio

Nvidia Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)

I've checked for updates to all four. There don't seem to be any Nvidia updates available, or any High Definition Audio Device updates, whatever that is.

Mars Faulkner, Sep 29, 2015
  4. Jack07 Win User

I have the same glitch since i started being a insider, upgrading from build to build didn't fix it. I tried reinstalling audio, video, sata, chipset drivers, upgraded bios to the latest version but nothing worked so i gave up.
    This bug only happens 3-4 times/day so it isn't a big deal for me.

Jack07, Sep 29, 2015
  5. beardo Win User
    This wasn't happening at all until 1-2 weeks ago, and even rolling back drivers didn't help. Sometimes it doesn't happen for 30 minutes, sometimes it happens 10-20 times in 1 minute. Super annoying, I could definitely deal with it if it was only 3-4 times per day.

beardo, Sep 29, 2015
  6. beardo Win User
    Anyone have any ideas? *Smile

beardo, Oct 1, 2015
  7. beardo Win User
    Bump bump bump. Someone must have an idea of where to start?

I have the latest graphics drivers, the latest sound drivers, the latest everything drivers, I'm up-to-date on Windows Update, I've done the whole resource monitor checking to see if there are any spikes (which there aren't), I've got the latest HD drivers, latest bios updates...

beardo, Oct 4, 2015
  8. dryden22 Win User

I basically have the same shit. I call it shit because it feels like being in a heap of that stuff *Tongue.

Which I obviously have done many many times in my life, e.g. by using linux *Tongue.

With me it is more severe perhaps but I get incredible lag from some applications and this should never happen - that an application cause the entire system to start to stutter.

Even when it is dosbox....?

Currently also running a virtual machine guest and this too can cause these issues. The weird thing is that CPU is never above like 40-60%, there is plenty of RAM, and there doesn't seem to be big harddrive activity.

I have drivers that are just stock from Windows 7 but that still work. It is an older laptop (2010). Nevertheless, I do not remember these issues from Windows 7?

dryden22, Oct 6, 2015
  9. nevica Win User
    nevica, Oct 8, 2015
  10. dryden22 Win User
    For me it's really more like the whole system grinds to a halt after a while. I was doing a file copy and it started at 13MB/s (the harddrive itself is only 30-35MB/s, so that is not too weird) but it grew less and less and eventually was doing only 1MB/s with apparently nothing else in the system going on. It is terrifically weird and outstandingly stupid. I hate it.

dryden22, Oct 8, 2015
  11. nevica Win User
    Dryden,

How long do these slow grinds last for?

nevica, Oct 8, 2015
  12. dryden22 Win User
    Usually it is unfixable, I don't know. Perhaps one time I sat it out and eventually it recovered, could be. I have it most with a dosbox game but a virtual box virtual machine eventually also causes it. And when such a file copy is going on, the scheduling seems to be such that, or in any case, other program stop responding entirely in the sense of having to wait a long time for harddisk access.

For example, opening a webpage may take a minute or so because (probably) it has to read cache files and all.

I have never experienced this anywhere, neither with this laptop, and in Linux (native) it performs really well for what that goes. When I had this laptop (second hand) with a standard Windows 7 pro install they give you, after a few weeks it also started doing weird stuff. But those were BSODs not performance slowdowns. After that I reinstalled Win 7 and had no issues apart from Windows Update not working (which seems to be a very common problem). For that reason alone mostly I went with Windows 10 at that time.

Win 10 seems to have worked well for a while but around the time I started the Dosbox games it really started to slow down or something. Dosbox performance is terrible. When I was in my VM, hdparm gave 15MB/s. After reboot, it gave 35MB/s.

I have not really seen the system recover except for keeping the dosbox game paused and eventually it ran faster again.

dryden22, Oct 8, 2015
  13. beardo Win User

Nevica, I don't play games on here so it's nothing to do with gaming for me.

Dryden, yours sounds kinda similar to mine, but mine last only a fraction of a second. My CPU is generally never above about 5%-10% unless I'm processing something, and I have a fast HD and lots of fast RAM. From your second post it sounds like we may have completely different problems though?

beardo, Oct 8, 2015
  14. nevica Win User
    Mmm, could it be your cache memory filling up. Try clearing it out in windows explorer. But you have already done this already?

nevica, Oct 8, 2015
  15. beardo Win User
    The problem happens even after first booting, so it probably isn't the RAM cache, besides I have 16GB of RAM so not really short on any... right now I'm trying to minimise apps that are running so I can try to figure out if it's anything that's running on here. Very slow process lol...

beardo, Oct 8, 2015
Thema:

1. Lag spikes / glitches affecting performance - Similar Threads - Lag spikes glitches

2. Random lag spikes affect everything

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random lag spikes affect everything: for about 2 month now im having random lag spike it happens everywhere on my pc but mostly while gaming wich is very annoying i tried to see if it was my memory so i did a test nothing wrong there no virus too the temp usage and voltage are the same as before....
  3. Random lag spikes affect everything

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random lag spikes affect everything: for about 2 month now im having random lag spike it happens everywhere on my pc but mostly while gaming wich is very annoying i tried to see if it was my memory so i did a test nothing wrong there no virus too the temp usage and voltage are the same as before....
  4. Wierd performance spikes and lagging everything?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wierd performance spikes and lagging everything?: i have been having this problem for a few days now, its getting really concerning as everything i do doesnt seems to be working, im very worried.https://imgur.com/a/E5YMwrhHere is how it looks, is basically just a huge lag spike, the audio goes choppy for some seconds, along...
  5. Random lag spikes affect everything on the PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random lag spikes affect everything on the PC: Since December 2022 I have been struggling with sudden computer lags due to unknown reasons. These lags could be recorded in game FPS displays, dropping from 165 fps to roughly 0-5 fps, then goes back up to 165 again. The lag however, does not only happen in computer games....
  6. Random lag spikes affect everything on the PC

Random lag spikes affect everything on the PC: Since December 2022 I have been struggling with sudden computer lags due to unknown reasons. These lags could be recorded in game FPS displays, dropping from 165 fps to roughly 0-5 fps, then goes back up to 165 again. The lag however, does not only happen in computer games....
  7. Random lag spikes affect everything on the PC

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Random lag spikes affecting everything on pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random lag spikes affecting everything on pc: So I have had this problem with my pc for a while where everything thats on screen Mouse, video and all audio glitches for a split seconds with a time of 1 second up to a minute in between the glitches. It happens completely randomly and sometimes it might not be doing it for...
  9. Random lag spikes affecting everything on pc

Random lag spikes affecting everything on pc: So I have had this problem with my pc for a while where everything thats on screen Mouse, video and all audio glitches for a split seconds with a time of 1 second up to a minute in between the glitches. It happens completely randomly and sometimes it might not be doing it for...
  10. CPU spikes and performance lag

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    CPU spikes and performance lag: Hi everyone. During the past few days I have a problem regarding my computer performance. Problem: -My computer is getting random performance lags that last 3-5 seconds. -The cpu usage will jump when it happens; anywhere from 50-100%. -Large Ethernet spikes as well....