Windows 10: Lag/Stutter When Copying Files to C Drive

Discus and support Lag/Stutter When Copying Files to C Drive in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I recently experience a very weird issue when I copy large folder to my C drive. Basically, I have a high-end PC, with a 4770K @ 4.3Ghz, 16GB 2133Mhz... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by mbushnaq00, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Lag/Stutter When Copying Files to C Drive

I recently experience a very weird issue when I copy large folder to my C drive. Basically, I have a high-end PC, with a 4770K @ 4.3Ghz, 16GB 2133Mhz RAM, 240GB SSD (C Drive), and 2 x 500GB WD Black in RAID 0 (D Drive). When I copy a game folder from D to C, the whole system lags, icons don't load instantly, the interface takes time to load such as the menu bar, opening folders also takes more time to open. Since I have a SSD and RAID 0 drives, Windows performance should not be affected. Also I would like to mention, that I have noticeable micro-stutters in majority of modern games when have them installed in the D Drive (with any file transfer in progress).

I had this system since 2013, and I have never had this issue before. I appreciate if someone can help me point out the source of this problem.

BTW, CrytsalDiskInfo does not report any issues with the drives.

:)

mbushnaq00, Mar 24, 2017
  2. awaisniaz Win User

destination folder access denied message while copying into or out from system drive C

copy to C drive folder and prompt also appears even when i copy or move some file from within a folder in c drive to outside to C drive

awaisniaz, Mar 24, 2017
  3. Video streaming with Windows 10 on Surface Pro 3

I have been experiencing problems with video streaming from any online source. Video lags, sound sync issues, stuttering. Also find that when I am streaming other performance issues. Lagging when typing. Other functions slow down.

JodieKnofsky, Mar 24, 2017
  4. Lag/Stutter When Copying Files to C Drive

Have you looked into Task Manager or Resource Monitor to see if anything else is doing disk activity at the time you are doing this? It sounds like something else is going on and pegging the CPU and/or drives already. I would also do a virus scan if you have antivirus installed, or download Comodo Cleaning Essentials and see if you have an infection going on.

ArazelEternal, Mar 25, 2017
  5. According to "The Bottlenecker" web site calculator your gpu is too weak for your CPU try it here with your specs:

Home | The Bottlenecker | First bottleneck calculator

You may already know that means your GPU will to not talk to your CPU fast enough causing a bottleneck.

Bottlenecking is the most common cause of stuttering in games ect.

RoadBlaster, Mar 25, 2017
  6. The GPU would have nothing to do with lag caused by the drives. Something is going on with the drives themselves thats causing the slow down.

7. The bottleneck calculator will just tell you the truth based on mathmatical calculations including hard drives.

Once you replaced the 2 X 500gb hard drives with say 2/3 identical Read/Write SSD drives you will speed up the system only for the gpu bottleneck to show up, runing game data from OS SSD is just as slow as using a D drive HDD.

I built a system based on The Bottlenek calculator & the system now runs fine without stutter & all the hard drives have identical Read / Write speeds which you will really notice with file transfers.

8. Lag/Stutter When Copying Files to C Drive

I think that bottleneck calculator has its little brain scrambled. IF that logic was true, then I shouldnt get faster transfer rates from my SSD than I do my SSHD. CrystalDiskMark would disagree. My M2 SSD gets number up into the 500 MB/s range for read while my SSHD gets only into the 150 MB/s mark. It seems your thinking back to the days when we had Master/Slave IDE drives where the whole chain could only operate as fast as the slowest drive connected.

That bottleneck calculator says that my Quadro K2100M is too weak for my Core i7 4810MQ. Components being to slow for a game or application to run well is different that them being too slow for a system overall. I would agree that the GPU is too weak if I was trying to run it with something like a GeForce 4 MX. It will slow down games and high demand 3D applications, but wont slow down Windows or browser performance.

9. It sound to me that you really do know what you are talking about.

10. I forgot to update my system specs, I actually own a 980 Ti, and the bottleneck calculator says that I do not have a bottleneck in my system.

I have a feeling the issue is from the 500GB drives as they are the slowest component in my system

mbushnaq00, Mar 25, 2017
  11. clam1952 Win User
    I'd try something other than crystal to check those 500GB drives such as ATTO Benchmark.
    I had issues with file transfers from curiously a 500GB WD, Crystal said was OK, ATTO was showing extremely low transfer rates mid range from 64KB to 1024KB. Nothing showing as wrong with smart either.

clam1952, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Lag/Stutter When Copying Files to C Drive

1. Lag/Stutter When Copying Files to C Drive - Similar Threads - Lag Stutter Copying

2. Stuttering/lag

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuttering/lag: hi i have this problem where my Pc is stuttering in some games and also browsing internet or on the desktop. its a constant thing that keeps happening.My specs are:MOBO: MSI B550 Gaming Gen3 amd SAM enabledCPU: Ryzen 5 4500GPU PowerColor Red Devil Radeon RX 5700 XT...
  3. Files copying from c drive to d drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files copying from c drive to d drive: Why are all my files from my c drive also being put into my d drive. Ive tried to deleting files from one drive because i assumed they'd stay installed on the other drive but anything i remove from one drive is deleted from the other drive. Because that wasn't working right i...
  4. Files copying from c drive to d drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files copying from c drive to d drive: Why are all my files from my c drive also being put into my d drive. Ive tried to deleting files from one drive because i assumed they'd stay installed on the other drive but anything i remove from one drive is deleted from the other drive. Because that wasn't working right i...
  5. lag/Stuttering

in Windows 10 Gaming
    lag/Stuttering: alright so basically this hasnt happened before but my pc randomly started stuttering and lagging on games but whenever im not on games it works really fast i did a wifi speed test everything seems fine and its happening on roblox and its not a high quality game so if anyone...
  6. lag/Stuttering

lag/Stuttering: alright so basically this hasnt happened before but my pc randomly started stuttering and lagging on games but whenever im not on games it works really fast i did a wifi speed test everything seems fine and its happening on roblox and its not a high quality game so if anyone...
  7. Copy file in Drive C to disc in Drive E.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copy file in Drive C to disc in Drive E.: I have a new CD-R disc that I put in Drive E on my PC with Windows 10. I want to copy an existing file from Drive C to that disc. That did not work but I received a message that, "Windows was unable to complete the format." What can I do now to fix the problem?...
  8. Copy file in Drive C to disc in Drive E.

Copy file in Drive C to disc in Drive E.: I have a new CD-R disc that I put in Drive E on my PC with Windows 10. I want to copy an existing file from Drive C to that disc. That did not work but I received a message that, "Windows was unable to complete the format." What can I do now to fix the problem?...
  9. Copy file in Drive C to disc in Drive E.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  10. Restrictions when copying/moving files to C Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Restrictions when copying/moving files to C Drive: [img] Is there any explanation as to why I have this situation of 1) Having to press the "continue" button everytime I'm copying/moving something to the C: drive (P.S. It's just a home PC and I'm the only admin/user), & 2) Why the "More details" is dimmed? I'm running...