Windows 10: LAN doesn't work after upgrading 7 to 10 HP Proliant server

Discus and support LAN doesn't work after upgrading 7 to 10 HP Proliant server in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello! At work I have an HP Proliant server which was running Windows 7 and I recently upgraded (in-place upgrade) to Windows 10 Fall Creator's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by spapakons, Nov 7, 2017.

1. spapakons Win User

LAN doesn't work after upgrading 7 to 10 HP Proliant server

Hello!

At work I have an HP Proliant server which was running Windows 7 and I recently upgraded (in-place upgrade) to Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update build v1709. Everything is OK except the network controller! No matter what drivers I tried (from WU, directly from HP, Snappy etc), the network card is "working OK" but I keep seeing the "Lan cable not connected" message and I have no Internet access. I managed to connect to the Internet using a USB Wi-Fi dongle, but I would like to make the onboard LAN work. Of course formatting and clean-installing Windows 10 is out of the question since we have a lot of data and applications and not time for backup and reinstalling everything. Please provide some solution that I can follow without format!

Thank you in advance.

The part number of the server is 658553-421, if you need some other information let me know. If that matters, the computer hanges for several seconds when I disable or enable the LAN adapter.

:)

spapakons, Nov 7, 2017
  2. jmbvink Win User

Windows 10 - Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet no longer working

It is a BIOS problem, update link:

BIOS for HP ProLiant MicroServer G7 N54L - msdonkey

I do it on my proliant microserver and problem resolved

jmbvink, Nov 7, 2017
  3. windows 10 on server boards

hi all

i have a question

dose Windows 10 pro have full driver support for server boards and it komponents (HP ProLiant DL380 G7)?

thank you all.

vjeran mandić, Nov 7, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

I assume you have tried another network cable, does the port on router show active? From cmd prompt type ipconfig /all post results

Samuria, Nov 7, 2017
  5. What is device manager report, any error codes?

While not desirable have you tried a complete power down, holding shift key and clicking shutdown, unplugging from mains, holding power key 30 secs, and restarting.

Caledon Ken, Nov 7, 2017
  6. spapakons Win User
    No haven't tried another network cable, but it is the same cable that worked fine back in Windows 7, seems weird. I was remotely connected with TeamViewer so I could do the upgrade at weekend from my home. After the first restart I lost access. When back at work on Monday, I saw the network didn't work with "cable not connected" error. So it is rather unlikely that the cable is faulty. Device Manager shows all devices (even hidden ones) installed OK, including of course the Ethernet adapter. No unknown devices, not exclamation marks (!), nothing suspicious. When running Snappy to try installing a new LAN driver, I noticed that is also suggests to update the AMD chipset driver. Of course I don't dare do it and cause havoc! I might try it at weekend, but no way doing that in the middle of the week!

Thank you for your quick replies

PS: Putting the P/N (658553-421) in Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) shows that the model is HP ProLiant N40L server and the network controller is described as "Embedded NC107i PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Server Adapter" (this is actually some Broadcom device), if that helps. Of course no drivers for Windows 10, only for Windows 2003 Server or 2008 Server or 2012 Server which I have already tried, didn't work. I can do my job with the USB Wi-Fi dongle, and they say "if it works, don't fix it", but if there is any way to make it work (other than a clean installation), I would like to know it! Thanks.

spapakons, Nov 7, 2017
  7. I'd do the power reset. No harm in trying.

Edit 1: you could also try a Network reset although it says you may have to reinstall VPN's or other specialized communications package.

Caledon Ken, Nov 7, 2017
  8. spapakons Win User

Well I might try that and see...

spapakons, Nov 8, 2017
  9. spapakons Win User
    I tried the complete shutdown and changing the Ethernet cable, didn't work. I read in some forum that this is a known issue for HP ProLiant Servers (upgrading from Windows 7 to 10 makes the LAN not working due to some incompatibility) and one poster said he solved the issue by updating the BIOS. Of course this is too risky and I will try it as a last resort. I also searched in Google with the vendor ID and device ID and found out this is a Broadcom BCM55... (not remember the part number right now). I found a driver that supposedly works in Windows 10, it also installed some managing utility in Control Panel, but made no difference, the LAN doesn't detect the cable and doesn't work. It seems there might be some registry setting or other cure, no driver I tried so far works. I just wait for your suggestions.

Thank you.

spapakons, Nov 8, 2017
  10. While there is a desire to use the built in NIC can the device take an expansion card / NIC? Shouldn't be two bad a price. Also minimizes risk.

Then you could get wired speed and reliability without the Broadcom hassle.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Nov 9, 2017
  11. bro67 Win User
    Have you tried checking the Enterprise side of HP and the forums to see if there is a fix in there. You are after all, dealing with something that would not normally run a desktop OS. These are the drivers for that machine. https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public...ts.oid=3811486 Personally I would just yank that card and put in a known working Intel card in its place. That unit was what we call "Planned Obsolescence".

bro67, Nov 9, 2017
  12. spapakons Win User
    I already use a USB Wi-Fi dongle to connect to the internet, no need to install any new card. I have already tried some drivers from HP, but I will visit the link you gave me later at work and see if I can find anything. Windows server drivers should also work in respective Windows desktop versions (server 2008 or 2012 driver should also work in Windows 7 and 8 and 10). Thank you.

spapakons, Nov 9, 2017
  13. LAN doesn't work after upgrading 7 to 10 HP Proliant server

I had seen you were using dongle. It was my feeling that a replacement wired NIC would be faster and more reliable, especially for remote support.

How are the client connecting to this server?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Nov 9, 2017
  14. spapakons Win User
    This computer is not used as a server, but as my workstation. Of course I have a couple of folders shared so I can install drivers and utilities to other computers without the need of a flash drive, but normally only 1-2 other computers would connect to mine at any moment. So speed is not critical. I registered an Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) and gained access to all server drivers. I downloaded latest official HP LAN driver for Windows Server 2008 (older than latest official Broadcom driver) but again didn't work. I would also download the BIOS and try updating it, but I needed some more access rights to download it, so I couldn't. I don't think I can do anything more with any driver. Maybe a BIOS update would work. However, if you have any more suggestions, I would like to know. Thank you.

spapakons, Nov 11, 2017
  15. Barman58 Win User
    Simple question, Is the network hardware Fully compatible with Windows 10?, and has the manufacturer created specific drivers for it.

Windows drivers that come from microsoft are not written by Microsoft, sometimes they have a generic type of driver that works with several manufacturers kit using the same chipset, but these may be a bit "Flakey" for serious use.

As this is a Works system that is used for business, the suggestion I would give is to purchase a cheap ethernet card which is certified for use with Windows 10, as the cost of this would be far less than the cost of the time involved in getting the old set-up working

We have to remember that there have been changes between the driver model between Windows 7, (server 2008), and Windows 10, there are enough similarities to allow things to work on occasion but this is not guaranteed

Barman58, Nov 11, 2017
Thema:

1. LAN doesn't work after upgrading 7 to 10 HP Proliant server - Similar Threads - LAN doesn't upgrading

2. Wake on LAN doesn't work after shutdown command

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Wake on LAN doesn't work after shutdown command: Hello, Wake on LAN only works after shutting off my pc using the power button on my pc or pressing shut down button in windows menu, but not after i use command "shutdown - s" in cmd, or any other app using commands to do this.I want to turn off my pc using Push2Run so i can...
  3. Wake on LAN doesn't work after shutdown command

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wake on LAN doesn't work after shutdown command: Hello, Wake on LAN only works after shutting off my pc using the power button on my pc or pressing shut down button in windows menu, but not after i use command "shutdown - s" in cmd, or any other app using commands to do this.I want to turn off my pc using Push2Run so i can...
  4. Wake on LAN doesn't work after shutdown command

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. WebCame doesn't work after window 10 was upgraded

in Windows 10 Customization
    WebCame doesn't work after window 10 was upgraded: [ATTACH] I would like to use Zoom meeting with my n/b camera. I can't use my webcam with win10. My notebook Model is SonicMaster S551LN Asus. It's touch screen notebook and came within win 8 OS. My Webcam was not enable after I upgraded to win 10. I have been tried so...
  6. WiFi doesn't work after win 10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi doesn't work after win 10 upgrade: I know there have been many posts about this. I have tried updating the wireless driver, removing it and reinstalling it, changing the power setting to always on, removing my anti virus, etc. - basically everything that has been posted I have tried. My wifi will work for...
  7. Audio doesn't work on Windows 10 after Upgrading from 7

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio doesn't work on Windows 10 after Upgrading from 7: Tried restarting both services relating to Audio as well and no luck. I can't even access Sound via Control Panel. There's a red x over the speaker icon in my taskbar. Can't even use my microphone. This issue wasn't present until I installed Windows 10. I try restarting...
  8. HP Gen 8 proliant Micro server - Base System device driver

HP Gen 8 proliant Micro server - Base System device driver: Hi there For those running Windows (retail ) or a Windows server version on one of these excellent little Cube boxes you can ignore the base system device driver when you look at the system devices list -- doesn't effect the working at all. I know some people use these...
  9. HP proliant Gen 10 Microserver replacing my Gen 8

HP proliant Gen 10 Microserver replacing my Gen 8: Hi folks I've just upgraded one of my 2 aging HP Gen 8 Microservers with the Gen 10 model -- I love the small cube micro size of these servers. The new Gen 10 has a significantly more powerful processor, more RAM can be allocated up to 32 GB (the Gen 8 had a Max of...
  10. Realtek 8111F Gigabit Lan not working after upgrade to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Realtek 8111F Gigabit Lan not working after upgrade to Windows 10: After upgrading from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 my internet connection via Realtek 8111F Gigabit LAN (built-in to my Asus P8Z77-M Pro motherboard) was lost. WiFi still worked. Had to revert to Windows 8.1. Anyone have a solution please? 11304